Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 RHD Lifted, 1984 brat. Should I buy?

Grimm

Hi everyone, I am possibly buying two brats in a package deal i found on CL.

Just thought I would ask someone who is more familliar with these vehicles than myself (My dad had one when he was my age, but still)

The main one I am interested in is a 1986 Brat awd 4spd, that happens to be RHD (like a brumby, Which is a huge selling point for me, as I love RHD) It is lifted and comes with Stock tires and rims, Topper, Jumpseats, and a spare rim/tire of the same size of lifted tires. It needs new front cv's and exaust. It has some rust (I am from michigan so rust is the devil to us, we hate it) but I have heard brats are prone to it somewhat. I have some pictures of it and the rust Ill upload. This truck has also been modified to be a "Brat bronco" meaning that someone removed the rear wall.

The other truck is a 1984 brat that is in rougher shape. It has a heavy duty bumper on it, no lift, and needs: Carb, radiator, rear glass, has a big dented in area on rear quarter, and has some rust as well.

The guy is asking around 2000$ for both, and I have the option to buy just the 1986 for around 1500$

Thanks in advance for any help, and I am sure I will be on here frequently if I buy it.

I hosted all the photos on imageshack, the photos of rust are from the 1986.

Also I have found a very nice 1988 AWD Justy for sale as well. Are they any good for offroading? Probably wouldnt be easy to lift it I am assuming. Just curious, as I do not know much about them, other than the oil pump is prone to fail and that the electronic clutch usually puts them out of service. It is listed for around 1800$.

dsc01799x.jpg

dsc01798k.jpg

dsc01796x.jpg

dsc01795iau.jpg

dsc01794q.jpg

dsc01788o.jpg

dsc01790f.jpg

dsc01791w.jpg

dsc01792t.jpg

dsc01793o.jpg

dsc01786mzb.jpg

dsc01784z.jpg

bratsig.jpg

86bratjeep.jpg

84bratreatquarter.jpg

84bratinterior.jpg

Edited by Grimm

Well now I have found a beautiful 1985 BRAT like thirty min from me. He wants 2000$

Its all stock, and appears to have been taken care of very well. AND It is 98% rust free!!! :grin:

I hate rust...

Also I am debating on to buy a brat or a wagon?

What is the best for offroad use?

Does anyone know about the lift kits from highrise subaru? I am going to buy the 6" monster lift and put it on whatever i buy, at least thats the plan.

Buy the RHD one if you are buying it to beat on it in the woods, leave the rust free one alone.

x2. It's getting hard enough to find Subarus of that era in decent shape as it is.

One rule of thumb I have regarding modified vehicles: unless I know the person who modified it and how the vehicle has been both built up and treated over the years, I won't buy it. Yeah, it's convenient to not have to do that work yourself, but you never quite know what you're getting into unless your buddy can point out every quirk, foible, and unusual little habit it has as a result of being modified.

Just my $0.02, but it's a preference I stick by. Oh, and that's a lot of rust in that RHD one. Even as a trail vehicle, expect a good amount of cutting and welding to keep it in one piece. The missing rear bulkhead makes me wonder about its structural integrity, too. As much as I wouldn't want to flop, roll, or endo any vehicle, that's one I definitely wouldn't want to be in if it did happen.

Edited by casm

Well i guess the other one sold :-\

I am still looking for a brat guys.

Well i am not buying it to beat around in the woods with, it would only be offroad at state parks or freshwater sand dunes. I am wanting it as a reliable and cool driver. I love the seats in the back ad the fact it gets good milage.

If anyone has a brat they wanna sell, or know of one in good shape let me know cause i have cash ready,

I mean, I really dont wanna buy the rhd one if its gonna be a problem. it seems like a waste of money since its all rusty. I dont wanna buy a car i have to turn around an weld back together.

Edited by Grimm

That RHD BRAT would be great to own, but it's in way to bad of shape for what the owner is asking for it. Lots of cutting and welding to be done to get the body back into shape.

If the price was way lower, I'd buy it just for the parts to convert a LHD over to RHD. But that's just me.....

And having the backwall cut out has seriously weaked the structural integrity of the roof area. I wouldn't want to be in it in a roll-over... Maybe installing a rollbar, properly,,, would be in order there.