Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy - ECVT swap to manual shift

Hey all,

I could score a nice Justy fer cheep with a toast ECVT tranny.

I also have a Justy with what is probably a good manual push button 4x4 tranny in it.

Has anybody done this kind of swap? How hard would it be? Is it just a matter of swapping tranny, shafts, cable, and pedal box? Or is it more involved like body fabrication?

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks all,

Mark

The junk justy that is sitting up there, I want the engine for it.. Mark can get a good engine/bad ecvt justy, which we think will be real cheep..

also... the good engine/bad ecvt is a 89 I think, will a tranny (4wd pushbutton 5speed) from a 88 go into it? Newer body style and all..

Thanks.

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

I think the ECVT is a C.F.I. unit, my 88 (with bad engine) is carbed...

Also.. if mark and I get this one, the body is in the newer style (89), and in better shape..

so if we get it.. we would have two 88, one with bad engine, the other crappy body but with good engine/tranny, and an 89 ECVT with good engine, crappy ecvt tranny.

so... I think it makes more sense to take the tranny from the crappy bodied one, and put it in the ECVT, and take the engine from the crappied bodied on to put in my 88 that the engine is going on it, but the rest of it is in great shape.

so question still out there, needs to be answered... can a 88 5speed pushbutton 4wd tranny go into an 89 with a crappy ECVT, and if so, how hard.? any experiences?

Thanks again.

Mike

Lostwater's (Mark's), twin Brother

mikldom@yahoo.com

IC. I do recall hearing that the flex plate / flywheel are different. I know on my '90 ecvt that it doesn't have the extra cross member that my '89 rs has. What are you planning on doing with the 4wd aspect? Wouldn't it be easier to get a 5 spd from a 2wd model?

I live at the sheetend of a 3.5 mile dirt road, in the mountains, with snow.

I wouldn't have a car without 4wd (well, not a car past 1980, as the 360s and the vw bus do not have 4wd)

I can't even get up my 1/3 mile driveway when snow is out without 4wd. So, all cars we drive are 4wd and since the Justy can be 4wd, we won't have one without it.

Anybody have a clue as to if this swap is even doable, or, are we treading into new territory?

Thanks,

Mark