Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how do i remove the transmission output seals ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle_ben

bicycle_ben

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • lake oswego

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

so i have an 81 4WD wagon and the seals on the transmission outputs ( to the CV axles )are leaking on either side.

the problem i have is i cant figure out how to get the old seals out without damaging something. can i just shove a screw driver in between the output shaft and the old oil seal then pry it out without hurting anything? it looks like i might hurt something that way but thinking about it now im fairly sure it would be ok.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

on EA82, ER, and EJ stuff you have to unscrew the retaining ring on the outside of the trans. im' assuming EA81 is the same. knock it around to loosen and unscrew. keep in mind this part sets the backlash inside the front diff and is critical to install exactly in the same position. so you need to mark it's position and COUNT how many times it unthreads, then install the same number of revolutions to reinstall.

#3 bicycle_ben

bicycle_ben

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • lake oswego

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

i dont think i have anything like that on the 81 but ive never worked on this part before and my haynes manual almost pretends that these oil seals dont exist.

i wish i had a picture of this - there really is nothing stopping the seal from coming out except that i cant get traction to pull it out.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

the newer stuff also "looks" like it comes out but the retaining ring i'm speaking about sits just far enough over the seal to keep it from coming out (or the new from going in) but no far enough to tell without looking closely.

it looks like it's just part of the trans casting, i had no clue first time i dove into the same job. i started picking at the seal until someone told me how it works.

#5 bicycle_ben

bicycle_ben

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • lake oswego

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

i got mine out and set to work putting in the ones Napa sold me... yeah they sold me something that was totally wrong and they didnt have the right thing in stock. they said they had one somewhere in portland and another one in seattle or something... not good

they gave me a number CR 10666

schucks didnt have them. but gave me the part number skf 10665

auto zone didnt have them either but they gave me the number 222745

tomorrow im going to call and see if mcguire bearing in portland is open on the saturday of a holiday weekend because they stock a ton of bearings and seals for things.

Edited by bicycle_ben, 04 September 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

McGuire is open on Saturday but only till like noon.

You did mark the location and count the number of turns when removing the retainers right? This sets the hypoid gear backlash on the front diff and if you set it wrong the diff will last about a week.

GD

#7 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

You could also check with the dealer. A lot of times their prices on seals are not that bad, and they are open on Saturdays.

#8 bicycle_ben

bicycle_ben

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • lake oswego

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

You did mark the location and count the number of turns when removing the retainers right? This sets the hypoid gear backlash on the front diff and if you set it wrong the diff will last about a week.

GD

i actually didnt have to remove any retainers or move anything to get the seals out. each seal had a little crack in it (where it was leaking) and i was able to poke a screwdriver in there and pop them out like you would any other seal

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,243 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:53 AM

i actually didnt have to remove any retainers or move anything to get the seals out. each seal had a little crack in it (where it was leaking) and i was able to poke a screwdriver in there and pop them out like you would any other seal

YOU AREN"T LISTENING!!!!

The seals CANNOT be properly installed from outside the retainer.

The retainer needs to come out, then the seal presses in from the back side.

ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THIS.

EA71,EA81,EA82, EJ .......all of them.

Now if you would like to waste more of you're time and ours.....please by all means keep jusgt prying and poking away. Why listen to us? We only have been through this about a bajillion times......what do we know.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

i've already tried :horse:, i guess we just wait until he screws up a few seals trying to install it before he'll pay attention. i get the feeling this is a one second at a time kind of deal here....nothing matters until it's an emergency...we've all seen that type before.

here's an analogy for this situation:
"a piston rod broke and shot a hole in my block - so i'm going to reinstall a new rod and bearing through that hole, so my question is - do i JB weld or Epoxy the hole in the block?" :lol:

#11 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

how do i remove the transmission output seals ?

Carefully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users