Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which subaru to take to Colorado?

idosubaru

Thoughts/suggestions from the offroad side of things?

It's not really possible to pull a trailer back a mountain access road right? I mean I know it's hard to say depending how bad it is, but trailers have zero ground clearance right?

Going hunting in Colorado in October and I'm trying to decide which car to take out there. Need to get up the mountain as far as possible.

Have to drive from east coast to Denver then up some intense mountain access road for a few miles (hopefully)! Cargo space isn't a big deal since we'll have a trailer. I'm a pansy and have a huge army tent with wood stove, etc.

The 02 H6 OBW would be fun....but don't really want any battle scars on it, so that one is out.

It basically comes down to a 1998 Auto OBW or Manual trans lifted XT6.

Three of us, but one is only 14 and not very big, so back seat would be "possible".

The XT6 would be most capable once we get there, the OBW far more comfortable and more room (I'll have a trailer either way). Two years ago the trail had one long mud pit that was really bad. OBW would have no chance on that. Wish I could know the conditions of the road before I left.

They both have a front reseal and timing components all done this year. The OBW has unknown headgaskets and I haven't driven it hardly at all, that's probably the main thing that scares me and I trust the XT6 more based on familiarity, more PM done to it, better drivetrain for off road, and ease of work and parts to take along. Guess I should decide and drive the OBW for a couple weeks to make sure the headgaskets are good.

I have an idea you haven't considered in your OP.

Why not take 02H6 and tow the XT!

Plenty of space for everything and everyone and you'd have the right tool for each leg of the journey.

Have fun!

He's already towing a trailer, and I don't think it's legal to daisy-chain 'em! :rolleyes:

I believe Dusty meant use a tow-bar and tow the XT6 loaded with gear instead of the trailer, but I suppose an XT6 full of crap is still above the towing weight of any Outback.

That makes sense, depending on what's trailered. As long as the tow-ee doesn't exceed the weight of the tow-er.

I never knew a "tent" could be bigger than an xt6 and an Outback, but hey everyone needs to be comfortable, I guess.

Have a good trip.

it's a huge Army style tent with a wood stove, you can stand up inside the entire thing and probably 5 can comfortably live out of it with tons of gear, etc.

i have no desire to "camp", i'm there to hunt. the woodstove is awesome when you're trudging through rain and snow and completely soaked - it allows you to dry out and be comfortable after exhausting hunts and lugging hundreds of pounds of stuff for miles at 10,000 feet - not an easy task. it's complete different from "camping".