Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" EA-81 Lifts?

casm

I've been poking around for a bit looking for a small lift for the Brat - something in the 2" range; all I want is a little more clearance under the body. Who's making them, if anyone? I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere but seem to recall that there were a couple out there at one point or another.

There have been a few of these posts... But to be more helpful, I'm getting a 2" lift made this week and have some extra metal. If you want I can have some made for you also. Very simple setup, blocks in the front with holes drilled 3/4" difference (20* offset for camber correction) at least I think it was 3/4, I don't have my cad drawings in front of me right now. Im going to get the rear brackets figured out sometime soon.

There have been a few of these posts... But to be more helpful, I'm getting a 2" lift made this week and have some extra metal. If you want I can have some made for you also. Very simple setup, blocks in the front with holes drilled 3/4" difference (20* offset for camber correction) at least I think it was 3/4, I don't have my cad drawings in front of me right now. Im going to get the rear brackets figured out sometime soon.

Thanks, the offer's much appreciated. I may take you up on that a bit later on - right now I need to get some stuff out to put the money together for it (and figure out if this is really what I want to do), but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Seems odd there's not a lot out there at this height - I know most folks are interested in more height than that, but since there's a few of us asking there's evidently some demand for it there.

Cut the front blocks at 22* and put them in so it pushes the strut in twards the motor............ in the rear just lift the 19mm bolt under the rear seat all the way up................... it will end up like the one in the pick below.............. there is no lift blocks in the rear of this car, just the 19mm all the way up, the tire size is 235/75/15's with trimming we made them fit.....................

codyshatch001.jpg?t=1237861893

Jeff

I had a bad experience with a 2" lift on my 85 Brat, it ate front axles like candy... So keep that in mind... But it did make a world of difference off-road, and I probably wouldnt have a hole in my oilpan if I had left the lift on...

-Bill

Yeah, you really need to block down the crossmemeber as well. At least 1 inch.

The shorter axles of the EA81 makes it steeper angles once lifted

I,ve got a 2" from sjr and he made it custom as a full body lift at every junction, the only way to lift. Its maybe harder than a 3" or 4" to install but only on ease of getting to the bolts. But who cares, I LOVE it! I eat axles, only because I've been remanning my own from used sources and beating the rig on forest roads and in the snow all season long, got nailed once. You cant trust anything on the market as far as locally avaliable remanufactured axles. I really, to tell you the truth, don't see a big difference in the style of front strut blocks to warrant any extravagance from one style to another. I do however feel better with the full strut cap, cut tube with flange v.s. blocks cut and drilled. I would do a three in the front if I where to do it again. I think it would look better.

I ma going with this design because then instead of just little 1" squares on the top hats, i get two 1" bars along the sides of the top hats. It might not make a huge difference, but it makes me feel like its more secure. I also happened to have this 2x3 tubing lying around.

lift%202a.jpg

i'm going to drill the holes today and hopefully install it tomorrow. My camping trip got canceled so I got time to experiment for others benefit. This is using the angle that one eye gave me with a 22* offset. I also had grade 8 3/8" bolts lying around thats why the top hole is 3/8, while the lower is 7/16" to accomodate the top hat bolts. I am really hoping this works out.

I had to do some altering to get it to fit right as well as a little bashing of metal inside the strut tower of the brat (maybe other EA81's are different in that matter) but its in!! The back of mine was already higher so the 2" in the front levels it out and looks good. Even with the 22* it still looks like it has negative chamber but i might just be seeing things. Pictures will be posted to my build thread later.