Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 swap, Project Loyale

cmiller

the part of the harness that went through the firewall on the legacy, bring that up through the hole behind the strut tower (crank/cam sensors, 02, MAF, ignitor). then they'll be plenty long enough.

that's correct, that's the plugs right on the gauge cluster. Came from a Chilton's manual, but the legacy diagrams in that manual are identical to the FSM stuff....

I am following this thread closely, i Have an 87 GL Wagon that i am planning to swap an EJ22 into. I have the engine, 94' with 74k miles on it, and is solid.

I have the EJ harness, redrilled flyweel, but need motor mounts and I have a 1/2" slab of aluminum i am making an adapter plate from. This all seems rather daunting.

~Chaz

I am following this thread closely, i Have an 87 GL Wagon that i am planning to swap an EJ22 into. I have the engine, 94' with 74k miles on it, and is solid.

I have the EJ harness, redrilled flyweel, but need motor mounts and I have a 1/2" slab of aluminum i am making an adapter plate from. This all seems rather daunting.

~Chaz

The mechanical part is fairly straight forward and goes in quite well. The wiring takes a bit more time and resources to do. I've been only able to work on this after work each day so it takes a bit longer. Luckily when I run into a snag there is the USMB as a great resource of info from folks that have done the leg work already.

Thanks to Numbchux I figured out what needs to be removed and what stays to be spliced into.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1749

The wires on the left all stay (mainly headlights, corner lights, horn, turn signals, etc...). The wires on the right are all from the EA harness and need to be removed. The hard part is finding what goes where under the dash so I can pull the un-needed wires out. Then I should have enough room to push the EJ harness through here and hook it all up.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1750

Also the spot in the upper right of this picture has some wires (green and yellow plugs on the left) that need to be taken out so I can thread the other half of the EJ harness through. Its a small hole behind the strut but should work if I can get all of the un-needed stuff out.

Getting closer to having this all hooked up. I should have it all working by this weekend. :banana: Then off to get an exhaust put on...

Tonight I got the wire harness in the car and routed properly. It took awhile to make room through the fender and behind the strut but I got both halves in and under the dash. Just need to splice a few wires before starting it up. If it runs then everything will get put in its place and bolted back on.:banana:

The mechanical part is fairly straight forward and goes in quite well. The wiring takes a bit more time and resources to do. I've been only able to work on this after work each day so it takes a bit longer. Luckily when I run into a snag there is the USMB as a great resource of info from folks that have done the leg work already.

Thanks man, i know i can do it, i've accomplished stranger things in the past. The hardest part of doing this is that it's a daily driver. Get that thing running i cant wait!

I made a lot of progress today. I got all of the wiring hooked up under the dash, got the air intake installed, radiator fans mounted up, and cleaned up the engine compartment wiring.

So I hooked up the battery and turned the key and...... nothing, no fuel pump coming on, no lights, nothing. Okay, so maybe the optima battery is dead since its been sitting for a couple of weeks(yeah right), checked, as expected 100% good. So i have spent the last half of the afternoon today checking my connections, correct wiring, etc... nothing. I'm out of ideas... :banghead:

:confused: Is there anyone in the Portland area that has done an EA to EJ swap that could come over this Saturday, Sunday or even Monday and double check my work to see if I have missed anything? :confused::confused: I can offer food, beer, even some cash for your troubles. PM me if you can. Thanks!

you say you're not getting any lights? Is everything on that should be when the key is "on" (dash, headlights, HVAC, etc.)?

Yep, no power past the firewall. No head lights, dome light, dash lights, or anything. When the key is on nothing happens. No lights anywhere. Very confusing...:confused:

Edited by cmiller

Hey Numbchux, there is a pigtail on the EJ harness that you have wires labeled Fuel Pump and Switched 12v on it. Also there are a bunch of yellow wires on the same pigtail going to a tan plug (6 wires) and a light green plug (4 wires). What are these two plugs for?

Hey Numbchux,

Sorry but i have a quick question, sorry to interupt the thread. I went a little stir crazy several months ago, because i was in a wheelchair due to an accident, anyway, i crawled outside and started riping stuff off the ej harness, wires i had cut, a/c, cruise, power windows and such. The question is, about how many wires should i have left of the ej harness, because it is preaty thin. Do you happen to have a photo of the harness before you rewrap it? I am walking again and anxious to get this project on the road, so to speak. Thank you for letting me interject a question here guys.

Chaz

Hey Numbchux, there is a pigtail on the EJ harness that you have wires labeled Fuel Pump and Switched 12v on it. Also there are a bunch of yellow wires on the same pigtail going to a tan plug (6 wires) and a light green plug (4 wires). What are these two plugs for?

ignition and fuel relays. pretty important :grin:

where did you get the switched 12v from the EA harness? right at the switch like I suggested? did you make sure it's still got a good connection to all 3 wires (from the switch, to the EJ harness, to the rest of the EA harness)?

I don't think I have a picture of an unwrapped, finished harness. but there aren't a whole lot of wires. probably 20 or so going up the fender to the engine harness, and 10-15 across the firewall (Crank/Cam sensor, knock, 02, ignitor, MAF).

ignition and fuel relays. pretty important :grin:

where did you get the switched 12v from the EA harness? right at the switch like I suggested? did you make sure it's still got a good connection to all 3 wires (from the switch, to the EJ harness, to the rest of the EA harness)?

I got the switched 12V from the ingnition switch wire going to to the old EA ECU. My problem is that the EJ harness is powered fine, just to power to the rest of the car, All connections to the EA fuse box are dead...

I got the switched 12V from the ingnition switch wire going to to the old EA ECU. My problem is that the EJ harness is powered fine, just to power to the rest of the car, All connections to the EA fuse box are dead...

huh....weird. I'll see if I can find some better diagrams to post....

IT'S ALIVE!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::clap::burnout:

I was missing a couple of relays and also had the wire from the fuseable links grounded instead of hot. (Duh). It fired right up first try! The only thing now is it won't idle so I'm thinking it needs the O2 sensor and a cat on or the maf sensor is bad. I'll try swapping these out to see what's up. Scoobyclimbs was a great help today in helping me problem solve the mess. I have video and will post it up a little later along with some pics as soon as I finish putting it all back together. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I would still really like to see how you guys kept A/C with this EJ swap so if you have any pics please put em up. I just don't see the room for the condenser and radiator fans.

an 02 sensor won't prevent it from idling.

MAF will usually make it idle alright, but stumble and die when you open the throttle.

have you checked for any codes yet? plug the black connectors together and the CEL will flash. should tell if/what is up.

an 02 sensor won't prevent it from idling.

MAF will usually make it idle alright, but stumble and die when you open the throttle.

have you checked for any codes yet? plug the black connectors together and the CEL will flash. should tell if/what is up.

That is exactly what its doing, open throttle and... blah...dead. But even just sitting there it will die on its own. So I'll check the codes tomorrow and see whats up. Thanks again for your help.

Here's a few pics:

Engine in and running

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1758

Using the EA lower half of the air box with tabs welded on to accept the EJ top part of the air box and a K&N panel filter inside.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1759

Also just used a small tube bender to mate the EJ power steering lines to the EA lines on the engine cross member. They hooked right up perfectly.

Anyone know what this vacuum canister is? Do I need to keep it in with my EJ22?

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1760

It had a line coming off of a EA sensor module on the motor. Where did you EJ swap guys put this into on the EJ motor? Thanks!

Edited by cmiller