Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback/others manual transmission interchangeability

lazerfloyd

Hi all, first post on this forum for me. First, some background on my problem, to make sure I understand the problem and am taking the best approach to fix it. The 5-spd manual transmission on my 2000 Subaru Outback AWD Wagon is on its way out… it grinds occasionally when shifting into 3rd, and it pops out of 4th almost all of the time. It used to just pop out when “cruising” (i.e. steady throttle at a sort of balance point between accelerating and engine braking), now it does it under acceleration and even when just when I let out the clutch, accompanied by much grinding. Also, in general, it feels like there’s a lot of “play” in the drivetrain, that is, step on and off the accelerator and there is a fairly harsh bucking, and the shifter seems to move front and back a lot when stepping on/off the gas pedal.

I have described this to a few mechanics I know, and they all said it was a problem with the synchro gears, and maybe some other transmission internals, and that the most cost-effective thing to do would be to find a decent used transmission and swap it out.

I have called a few transmission shops and used transmission salvage places, and no one can locate one. I’m wondering if these places are familiar with the interchangeability of manual transmissions from different years/models? Based on this chart...

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

… and other things I’ve read on this forum, I’m guessing I could also use a manual transmission from a US model:

1999 – 2004 Impreza 2.5 RS

2000 – 2004 Forester

2000 – 2004 Legacy GT

2003 – 2004 Legacy L

2003 – 2004 Legacy Outback

2003 – 2004 Baja

All of these apparently have the same 4.111 final drive ratio and push clutch as my 2000 Outback, which is the important thing right? I don’t care about differences in the 1st – 5th gear ratios, in fact, I would like a taller 5th gear.

Finally, I need to make sure these will fit right in with no modifications to mounts/cradles/shift linkage/axles/etc, since I’m having a shop do the work. Can anyone verify that any/all of the above will work? If I buy one that won’t work, or isn’t a direct fit, I’m stuck with it.

Also, any leads on a reputable salvage operation with a decent Subaru inventory to find a used transmission?

Thanks for any/all input and advice.

-Matt

why don't you first check your tranny mounts........the bucking can be caused by those needing replacement.....which in turn could be causing your shifter to hit the tranny tunnel, and pop out.......

the grinding is indicative of synchros.....but one thing at a time......

did you ever have service done to it?is it low on fluid, etc......cheers, brian

Thanks for the reply. I recently changed the transmission oil in the vehicle with 75w90. Before I changed it, the level was reading high (I bought it this way, used with 145k miles). I refilled with the proper amount and it stays steady. I was thinking the mounts could be the problem, for the same reasons you described, but when I asked various mechanics (and suggested to them that maybe it was just the mounts) they all sort of dismissed that and said it was the synchros. These are guys whose feedback I would trust, although I was a little skeptical... Anyway, I think by this point I have done some damage to the tranny too.

Edit: Before I had the shifting/popping out of gear problems, I had the exact same symptoms as Wondercow2 in this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69796&highlight=transmission+tranny+mounts

In the thread, it doesn't seem like there was a resolution.

I'm going to search around this site for info/tricks on how to freshen up the mounts... if it can be done without disconnecting anything (axles...) maybe I could try it myself. Engine mounts seem OK to me...? when I start/stop/rev the engine it stays pretty still.

Edited by lazerfloyd

if you want to listen to them, go ahead.then why did yo9u post questions here?

PHYSICALLY GET UNDER YOUR CAR AND CHECK ************ OUT............cheers, brian

OK I think my original post was a little confusing as to what I was hoping to get out of this. I wanted it to be less of a “are my mechanics right/what is wrong with my car” post, and more of “will these transmissions from other years/models fit my car” post, which is why I put it in the “retrofitting” part of the forum. I drove the car in question a little bit the other day, and am now absolutely positive this transmission is totally f’ed up, and I need a new one. I will have the shop check out the mounts and correct as necessary when the work is being done.

Basically what I wanted to confirm was, will a 5spd manual transmission from the years/models I listed be a direct, no-modifications-necessary swap into my 2000 Outback. The models I have listed are there because (as I understand it from my reading):

• There were few if any changes made to the chassis dimensions/mounts of models from 2000 – 2004

• The final drive ratios are the same as mine (4.111) based upon that chart I linked to

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has done a transmission swap between some of these models I have listed and can verify I’m on the right track. I do not know the source of that gear ratio chart, and do not want to just trust something I found on the internet, buy a salvage transmission from some place across the country, only to have the guy at the transmission shop tell me it won’t work, and be stuck with a transmission I can’t use.

Thanks,

Matt