Ultimate Subaru Message Board

latest models inferior?

We got our 2009 Outback wagon just before the 2010s came out, and I think we're glad we did.

From what we've seen, the new models interiors have been cheapened up and don't look near as nice as last years models. One reason we chose the Outback over the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 was that we didn't like their interiors as well. Now there seems to be less difference.

Has anyone else got anything to say about the 2010 models and how they are different from the 2009 and earlier?

(If this thread is not posted on the right part of the forum, let me know where I should re-post it.)

I visited the Subaru dealer yesterday for a closer look at the 2010 Outback wagon and I was (mostly) not impressed.

I don't NEED a bigger car, I don't feel the need for more power and acceleration, and I am not enamored of the body styling changes (larger areas of plain-jane sheet metal, black cladding along lower edge, choice of paint colors). Looks like a cross between and American SUV and a Subaru.

Plus the roof rack is UGLY, and might not even be suitable for carrying a canoe (unless Subaru offers gunnel brackets for their factory crossbars), since the opening for attaching a Yakima rack allows only about 2' space between crossbars, not adequate for a full-size canoe.

On the plus side, though, the interior might be more comfy, especially for back seat passengers (who get more legroom and whose seat backs are adjustable now), the dash material seems tougher and should be more resistant to scuffing and scratches than our 2009, there is a recessed tray in the dash where you could put items that wouldn't move around while in motion, more cup holders (in the doors), the seat fabric is a little nicer...But the door panels seem to have been cheapened up, losing the nice grab bars of the 2009 in exchange for molded pockets in the flat door armrest.

Sat in it and noted that the driver's visibility to the back is still pretty impaired from the rear corner post forward along the entire driver's side - for this 5'4" driver anyway. I had NO problems with my 87 GL 4WD wagon, but I've had to remove the 3 rear head rests to have any confidence in backing up or changing lanes with my 2009, and don't see any improvement in the 2010.

Interested to hear what others think of the 2010.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1358715587.html

from the post "2010 Subaru Outback ~ If you are serious please email me. I bought this vehicle thinking it would be like the 2001 as far as camping and carrying gear, but it's not. Loaded with heat package, moonroof, etc. I can send pictures. Less than 2,000 miles. Gold color. Purchased at Roper in Joplin. "

yep