Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suspension Options for my 91 Legacy Sedan?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Devil240Z

Devil240Z

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Oly

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

I am looking into getting coilovers for my Legacy but Ebay seems to only have one kind and they cost $1000. I was wondering if any other models had interchanging coilovers that might be more common than Legacy ones, like an Impreza or somthing.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,079 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

What exactly are you looking for? Are you swapping out an air-suspension equipped vehicle?

Yeah, just get a newer set of Legacy or Impreza strut assemblies and swap them out. like 1991-2001 are all usable, maybe folks on here can give some specifics. I'm not sure when the suspension changed in the 200X?

$35-$50 each, maybe save a few bucks if you buy the entire set.

You can even post in the parts wanted forum here, folks may have some.

I'd avoid Impreza Outback Sport rear struts, they're kind of weak and tend to sag - that may even apply to all Impreza's, I'm not sure. They actually work fine, just kind of sag a bit in the rear (there's a specific thread about it on here actually by Zap).

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

You could cross-reference the Gen 1 legacy turbo parts - you would have to swap out the springs as well to get the proper stance. Then you would want to add the larger sway bars.

The Legacy turbo suspension is markedly better than the plain jane L series suspension. Sits a bit lower and handles miles better. I'm sure there are better options but I doubt you could beat the value of the stock components and you won't be dissapointed as they were designed specifically for the Legacy's weight and size.

GD

#4 Devil240Z

Devil240Z

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Oly

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

ok so what im saying is I want to buy coilovers but if I search for 89-94(94 right?) legacy coilovers I get one kind and they are $1000 but if I search for Impreza coilovers there are a ton and for alot cheaper. would they bolt up?

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

You should ask that question over at legacycentral.org - the guys over there would know. I haven't investigated any of the suspension stuff.

GD

#6 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

I think the 91 legacy had the smaller bolt pattern in the rear tophats so impreza coilovers won't fit.

#7 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,650 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, search/ask over on www.bbs.legacycentral.org There's a lot of info over there that will help.

#8 Devil240Z

Devil240Z

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Oly

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, search/ask over on www.bbs.legacycentral.org There's a lot of info over there that will help.

wow that forum is INTIMIDATING. I feel like every question that could ever be asked about my car already has been asked there and answered as well.

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

wow that forum is INTIMIDATING. I feel like every question that could ever be asked about my car already has been asked there and answered as well.

Everything that needs asking has been asked, yes. And the rest is over on NASIOC because the reality is that the LC forum is mostly a bunch of guys with EJ22T's and that engine is just an early EJ turbo - very similar in most respects to the EJ20T's and the EJ25T's in the WRX and STi variants of the USDM Impreza.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users