Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Half of my lift is built.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

My buddy Rob found a nice piece of 2"x2"x24" .250" wall stainless last night at work...he also asked for dimensions over the phone. Apparently he had nothing to do at work all night. Today, I have a REALLY beefy set of blocks for the front of my 3dr.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gonna get a piece of flat bar tomorrow, get the rear built too. Hopefully, it'll be lifted by Friday.

#2 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

nice

#3 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

I think i might see a problem in the non angled blocks...

the offset holes should be in the lateral direction on the block if that makes sense.

If I'm wrong, please correct me and i will shut up :rolleyes:

#4 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,573 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

I think i might see a problem in the non angled blocks...

the offset holes should be in the lateral direction on the block if that makes sense.

If I'm wrong, please correct me and i will shut up :rolleyes:

No your right John, that is wrong, the straight blocks need to have 15* drilled in them as well......................

Jeff

#5 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

Posted Image

Right idea, wrong direction

#6 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

No your right John, that is wrong, the straight blocks need to have 15* drilled in them as well......................

Jeff

They did have the 15* drilled in, just the wrong way...

#7 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

That is what I meant. :)

I can see the offset in the pictures, but as you said, in the wrong direction :eek:

#8 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

That is what I meant. :)

I can see the offset in the pictures, but as you said, in the wrong direction :eek:

I was afraid of that when I first saw the straight blocks. Fail. Guess it'll get lifted next week then. Oh well, there was plenty of 2x2 stainless left.

#9 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Maybe its me but on those straight blocks there doesnt seem to be alot of meat around those bottom bolt holes. I can see something getting riped apart at some point.

#10 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Maybe its me but on those straight blocks there doesnt seem to be alot of meat around those bottom bolt holes. I can see something getting riped apart at some point.

Those are the ones that are drilled wrong

#11 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Replaced those two .250" wall straight blocks with some .125" wall stainless blocks.

Also took possession of my rear lift today.

Posted Image

Tomorrow sounds like the day it goes up. Any tips or secrets I should know about before I begin? What size bolts did you guys use on the rear?

#12 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Take your front swaybar off right from the get go.

It'll do nothing but fight you the whole way. You won't be able to drop your front control arms far enough to get the blocks in otherwise. So save yourself some time, and just cut it off before you even try. The car will still drive just fine without it.

The rear is quite simple. Just take the struts off, and reverse them 180*. What was originally pointing towards the outside of the car, should be facing the center diff when you're finished.

We used 5/8" bolts about 1" to 1 1/2" in length with matching nuts, and lock washers. Metric will work just fine too. Just take the one out of the body with you to the store when you buy them, compare diameter, and you need just enough to get through the strut top mount, and your extenders. TADA, you're set!

#13 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

Take your front swaybar off right from the get go.

It'll do nothing but fight you the whole way. You won't be able to drop your front control arms far enough to get the blocks in otherwise. So save yourself some time, and just cut it off before you even try. The car will still drive just fine without it.

The rear is quite simple. Just take the struts off, and reverse them 180*. What was originally pointing towards the outside of the car, should be facing the center diff when you're finished.

We used 5/8" bolts about 1" to 1 1/2" in length with matching nuts, and lock washers. Metric will work just fine too. Just take the one out of the body with you to the store when you buy them, compare diameter, and you need just enough to get through the strut top mount, and your extenders. TADA, you're set!

Sweet, thanks! I don't care for the sway bar anyway, it was already on the chopping block.

Got a couple more questions, though...want to get my ducks in a row so this goes as smoothly as possible tomorrow.

Reuse the top bolts (extender to body) or are longer required? Once the sway bar is removed, will there be enough droop in the control arm or should I remove the strut from the front?

I'm sure I'll think of another thing or two by the end of the evening...

#14 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

2" lift is the simplest lift to install ever.

FRONT. (process is the same on both sides)
Step 1: Remove sway bar
2. Unbolt the control arm pivot bolt
3. Unbolt the 3 nuts at the top of the strut
4. Install blocks on strut top, attach using the original nuts.
5. Install the strut. Use 5/16x1" or drill out the holes in the strut mount and use 3/8"X1" bolts and nuts. Tighten all the bolts and nuts.
6. Re-attach the lower control arm at the pivot point. Check brake lines to make sure they are not over extended (They shouldnt be)

REAR. (also the same on both sides)
Step 1: Remove the 2 bolts at the top of the strut that attach to the body.
2. Unbolt the bottom of the strut and rotate 180 degrees, and re-attach.
3. Install the rear blocks on the struts with 1/2"x1" bolts and nuts. You may have to drill out the holes in the strut top bracket to make them fit.
4. Attach the lifted brakets to the body with the original bolts. Tighten all the bolts and nuts. Check the brake lines to make sure they are not over extended (they shouldnt be)

Put the wheels back on and enjoy the lifted awesomeness!

-Bill

#15 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

A couple more (probably dumb) questions...

The holes on my rear blocks are already drilled to 9/16" on both sides. Do I need to go larger for the bolt attaching to the body? I figure the strut mount will need to be drilled, but will it take that large of a hole?

The front blocks have 7/16" bolts welded in. Will the strut mount holes up front take drilling to that size without significantly weakening them?

Thanks for putting up with me and my questions. You guys kick rump roast!

I'll have pictures tomorrow!

#16 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

No need to drill any bigger in the back, the stock bolts fit through a 1/2" hole no problem. For the front you will have to drill out the strut mount holes to 7/16", which is no big deal, it won't weaken it enough to make a difference. Get to it! I wanna see some 30's on this thing already :lol:

-Bill

#17 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

No need to drill any bigger in the back, the stock bolts fit through a 1/2" hole no problem. For the front you will have to drill out the strut mount holes to 7/16", which is no big deal, it won't weaken it enough to make a difference. Get to it! I wanna see some 30's on this thing already :lol:

-Bill

The rear blocks are already drilled to 9/16", they were when my buddy Rob dropped them off.

It'll happen today, after my son gets picked up by his mother. Pics this afternoon or evening!

No tires for it yet, though...so it'll look pretty stupid with the stock little 13" pizza-cutters under a 2" lift.

Edited by Redcap, 12 November 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#18 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

Well, looks like it'll be tomorrow when it actually gets lifted. My son's mother was exceedingly late, so I out of light and need to hit the hardware store for 9/16"x1" bolts for the rear.

#19 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:34 AM

Your awful close my my place....you could come use my shop it's lit and whatnot.....

just a thought.....let me know

#20 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

Your awful close my my place....you could come use my shop it's lit and whatnot.....

just a thought.....let me know

Damnit! That makes me somewhat upset that I've already torn it apart!

Thanks for the offer, though!

#21 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

lol...

well next time......or box your shi...stuff up and put your car in a backpack and hitch hike over...lol

anyway...i'd like to see this rig...you should let me come see it. :grin:

#22 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,637 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

9/16"x1" bolts for the rear.

if you use 7/16 you will not have to drill the strut top mount

#23 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

-Bill

Workin' on it! Pretty sure I'm going to go with 27" Hankook Dynapro MTs. :)

lol...

well next time......or box your shi...stuff up and put your car in a backpack and hitch hike over...lol

anyway...i'd like to see this rig...you should let me come see it. :grin:

That can be arranged!

if you use 7/16 you will not have to drill the strut top mount

I took care of that last night while choking down a few beers and hogged the holes out to 9/16". ;)

#24 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

And now, for some pictures!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Legacy seats are really comfortable!

Posted Image

My homemade GPS mount and "custom" shift knobs, scavenged relics from my barn. :grin:

Posted Image

Phase 1: complete.

On to Phase 2.

#25 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

I didnt know it was a coupe. looks awsome lifted, just waiting for some big ole knobbies :headbang:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users