Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

hey everyone! made a lot of progress on the car while i was gone. I put the blower motor in and A/C delete duct this makes a ton more room, then got the dash in, BMC and pedal box installed, cut out lower core support for legacy rad and fenders on. Crappy cell phone pic FTL lol better ones coming soon.

P07-21-11_1859.jpg

Cheers R.

LiftedRS.jpg

lifted it 4", (1990 RS) went for first ride today, some minor issues to work out but the majority is finally done

(also changed both struts, front brake pads, oxygen sensor, right hand steering boot, installed sealed roller bearings (ty gd for that idea) , inner and outer axle seals, 'new' knuckles, the left hand control arm, outer sway bar bushings... and probably some other crap I forgot... like the exhaust manifold gaskets and the rear main seal. Schiesse, other than that...) :rolleyes:

is that 6 lug i see? how did you get that? i have 5 lug and didnt know older soobs had 6 lug......looks awesome with the lift!

is that 6 lug i see? how did you get that? i have 5 lug and didnt know older soobs had 6 lug......looks awesome with the lift!

Unfortunately no, the olders Soobs are 4 Lug - an unusual 4 lug, at that. However, the distance between the lugs is the same as the toyota truck 6 lug wheels. It's just a mater of re-drilling the hubs. :)

Unfortunately no, the olders Soobs are 4 Lug - an unusual 4 lug, at that. However, the distance between the lugs is the same as the toyota truck 6 lug wheels. It's just a mater of re-drilling the hubs. :)

Or re-drilling the wheels and doing a simple countersink for lug nuts.

A lot of work lately. I've been troubleshooting a PITA over-heating issue. So I've done intake manifold gaskets (no broken bolts :banana:), new thermostat and gasket, front wheel bearings (outer race broke in half and cage exploded:eek:), and I'm working on a new paint job--to be revealed later. I will also be installing a new to me byb 3" lift and EGR valve as soon as they come in. I'm freakin' excited!

Tommy came over and helped me change a strut in my Brighton. Funny story on two levels. One, the front driver coil spring broke when my big rump roast sat down in the car. I sat down, heard the bang and saw the dust floating out of the wheel well. Two, when I removed the strut and compaired it to the spare I happened to have I realized the one in the car was an Outback strut! So the car had one Outback strut and three stock Legacy struts, people aren't so bright some times! Any way, all better now.

The 1998 Legacy Outback got new pedders hd lift springs and 1/2" hdpe rear spacers. This made 2" at each corner. Also kyb gr2's and all new related components. It rides like it SHOULD have from the factory.

Also I had a cheapo new outer tie rod end develop 1/16th inch of play within the first 2000 miles. Warrantied that thing and have a moog in the mail.

The group N control arm bushings feel solid with the 30mm spacers to make them fit the outback. With my petite girlfriend, me, 3/4 tank of gas, a few hundred pounds of audio gear and trip stuff weighed in at exactly 4000 lbs at a truck weigh station. It still handled better than stock and empty.

Its awesome... But, I have the cheap-o ones :lol: that are blue on low and yellow on hi... I was told that they last longer and are cheaper to replace :-\

I want to go with the real ones, but I have to have the funds first :grin:

On that note (and back on topic)

I taped the confirmation on Ned's hood so he would feel better:

1 driver side tie rod end

1 Passenger side tie rod end

2 inner tie rod ends

2 steering rack "bellows" (boots)

are on their way to my doorstep! :banana:

GD has my wheel bearings, and I will have tires soon... Ned will no longer be "crippled" in the garage! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

How long do HID's go before burning out?

Have any of you had them very long?

HIDs in most cases can last up to 4,500 hours Vs. A normal halogen bulb which uses a filament which can burn out in as little as 200 hours. HID bulbs are gas filled capsules that are rated for a lifespan of nearly 4,500 hours. HID bulbs also shine much brighter due to this technology.

Mine are true HIDs, 6000k are the best, any more Kelvens then that and its pointless (Higher the Kelvens, the more blue they are, 15,000k to 30,000k turns Purple)

I have a 35w system Vs. the 65w. Which is why mine are a tad bit blue® then I planned. If I had bought a 65w kit, 6000k would have been more of a Storm cloud gray (aka Rainy Day) color which to me, is the best color to go with.

To make it short, proper HIDs do wonders with the EA82 light design.

Here is an idea of what my lights look like. As I have yet to take a picture.

6k3.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

HID.jpg

I love mine. 6000K HIDs. I can see SOOO much further.

The only thing... NEVER leave them on... When you shut off your car, and then start it again, occasionally, one bulb will not work, and all it takes is flipping the lights off and on and then it will warm up... oh yea... warm up, it takes about 5 seconds to achieve full brightness.

I warn because I have gotten a ticket for insufficient lighting even though all I had to do was flip the lights off and on :mad: Id just forgotten to do it.

Hey, I like those HID lights.

Can you share any links to a "how to" thread? Personally I wouldn't know where to begin.

Also, can a Loyale's stock alternator and charging system handle them or did you have to do some upgrades?

In the meantime, I put on my new-used front mud flaps on my '91 Loyale (thanks bheinen74). :)

0801111917.jpg

0801111917b.jpg

Hey, I like those HID lights.

Can you share any links to a "how to" thread? Personally I wouldn't know where to begin.

Also, can a Loyale's stock alternator and charging system handle them or did you have to do some upgrades?

I have no issues with my battery or alternator... I have an aftermarket battery, but it doesnt have any issues.

As for a how-to... Hmm... Its pretty much plug and play really.. I have ones that arent connected to my battery, they use my stock wiring to power a box, which powers the light, if I have that correctly... I gotta look. It was super simple. The guy that was "showing" me how to install them spent 2 hours (while I waited) on a 4Runner, then I brought mine in, and it took us 20 mins to do both lights (including searching kits for the 9004 kit he had bought)

Rob, are those Projectors? Or am I'm seeing things?

Here are mine, first night with them and OMG! They light up signs 2 blocks down, they really light up houses and white cars ;)

The pictures don't do justice, but you can get an idea, these are only the Low beams. Didn't take pictures with the Highs, I will tomorrow night.

HIDs001.jpg

HIDs002.jpg

HIDs005.jpg

HIDs006.jpg