Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Replaced the kinked power steering line and swapped the XT6 front sway bar for an RX front sway bar on the PandaWagon. Having front tire lift off while diving through the corners. Seems to have helped out the stability of the front some. Will see come next RallyX.

Getting ready to check the horn operation on my Brat, it is really puny. However, picked up a pair of Fiamm's (<$20) in case I need to replace the original ones. There are very few posts on the Fiamm's here. I have a new Bosch relay somewhere at home, and am prepared to use a relay for the horns, but will not if unnecessary. I have two questions:

1. How do I remove the trapezoidal horn button (steering wheel trim button) to check the horn switch? Does it just pry off?
  2. Is the original circuit adequate for wiring up the pair of horns, or is a relay mandatory? I realize the horn is used on a momentary basis, hence questioning the need for a relay!

Thanks folks.

aba

post-3724-136027653382_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to check the horn operation on my Brat, it is really puny. However, picked up a pair of Fiamm's (<$20) in case I need to replace the original ones. There are very few posts on the Fiamm's here. I have a new Bosch relay somewhere at home, and am prepared to use a relay for the horns, but will not if unnecessary. I have two questions:
  1. How do I remove the trapezoidal horn button (steering wheel trim button) to check the horn switch? Does it just pry off?
  2. Is the original circuit adequate for wiring up the pair of horns, or is a relay mandatory? I realize the horn is used on a momentary basis, hence questioning the need for a relay!

Thanks folks.

aba

Horn button is removed by pulling the bottom edges toward you.

Getting it snapped back in-place is another story.... Grrrrr!

Original horns have both a power and ground wire going to them, so some wiring changes would be needed from relay to horns. Use Factory wiring to operate the relay, and a fused circuit to the horns.

Most of the issues I've had with horns has been corrosion at the horn(s) themselves.

Recently I have:

Washed the bejesus out of my '86 red wagon. It was more green than red due to moss starting to grow on it. :lol:

Its gotta look fresh if I'm gonna be driving it sometime soon. :cool:

And I replaced the faulty ignition switch in my '85 Brat. No more spending five minutes of forplay to get her started up. :grin:

And I replaced the faulty ignition switch in my '85 Brat. No more spending five minutes of forplay to get her started up. :grin:

What did you do? I need to fix the same in my '85 brat. Every replacement ignition i have come across hasnt been any better than what i have. My '84 wagons ignition is on it's way out as well.

What did you do? I need to fix the same in my '85 brat. Every replacement ignition i have come across hasnt been any better than what i have. My '84 wagons ignition is on it's way out as well.

I was lucky enough to have a parts EA81 car on my hands.

Even more lucky that the ignition switch in that car was like new.

I tried Napa, Autozone, Orilleys, even the Subaru dealer. Either they don't have them period, or they only have NON-tilt steer collumn ignition switches. (Why they would discontinue the more popular tilt steer version is beyond me.)

I'm gonna baby this one for sure, as they are getting hard to find. :dead:

Nice job TOMCAT. You do all that stitching yourself? I personally would have went with a much darker blue but to each his own.....

Thanks! No, i went to master and he make new interior just like my front seats from 2004 STI, almost the same color and almost the same material. Now front seats looks like they from this car, all things are in one style.

Yah sweet upholstry T0MCAT. You do it all yourself?

Today I am replacing valve cover gaskets, temp sensor, and throttle cable.

Ordered throttle cable from napa last week as they lied to me about it being in stock. It finally arrived yesterday, went to install it today, mostly broke my old one tryna get it out, and the new one doesn't come close to fitting. It has a barrel end on the pedal side and no plastic thingy, so it won't stay on the pedal. On the other end, the threaded adjustment part is a size too small so it doesn't mount very well, and the entire cable is too short! I called them and they inisisted it was the correct one for that car, but since they have none in stock they have to order another. I pieced my old one back together so the damn thing is drivable, but will check with the dealer on Monday to see how much they are there. Fuxing Napa, I always have problems with them.

Temp sensor wasn't too hard, just slightly awkward for my wrench. Hope it fixes my hunting idle problems.

Drivers side valve cover is hemmhoraging oil all over my exhaust. Was a *************** to get the cover out cause the EJ22 seems to be mounted slightly too close on that side. Threw them in my dishwasher to get the layers of grime off. :D

Replaced a steering boot on the PandaWagon and then gave it a bath. Also replaced the ignition switch on the XT6 while diagnosing my intermittent starting issue. Worked great for about 7 starts and it back to being stupid again.:mad: I may try the relay trick to see if it is a wiring issue.

last week, my wife used the Groupon I got her for her birthday and had the outback detailed, today, I checked all the fluids and prepped her car for a 5 hour drive to Galveston tomorrow. My company's founder is taking all the employees and their spouse/SOs on a cruise to celebrate the company's 30th anniversary.

(see how I used a thread about car care to make you all envious? - MWAH-Hah-hah-hah-haaaahhhhhh!!!)

Drivers side valve cover is hemmhoraging oil all over my exhaust. Was a *************** to get the cover out cause the EJ22 seems to be mounted slightly too close on that side. Threw them in my dishwasher to get the layers of grime off. :D

No, no...that's just how the boxer engines sit in general. Mine is an EA82. Even with small hands I curse my way through getting the driver side valve cover on and off. Pretty sure Subaru conspired to do it on purpose...no, I'm kidding. It's just the way it is. Give a kid a candy bar to help you with it :P.

That's a Huge Device for Test the Pneumatic Suspension... I've never seen that Before, thanks for Posting it.

Renew the interior...

cimg5837q.jpg

Beautiful, I Like it! icon14.gif

But the Power Window's Switch panel seems to be Upside down, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Beautiful, I Like it!

But the Power Window's Switch panel seems to be Upside down, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

Thanks! Yes it's upside down, because it was transplanted power windows from left wheel drive donor to my JDM subie. With a complete rewiring we decided to turn it down because the rear window buttons not so worn out.

Thanks folks.

aba

Checked the horns out today. Unplugged both and rapped/slapped the fronts a few times. Connected both and reinstalled. They actually sound great. Hence, did not replace.