Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6396 replies to this topic

#3926 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Sold one Subaru

The other Subau received a test drive and another is coming to buy in the AM....
Bye bye Subaru people..

#3927 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,727 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Sold one Subaru

The other Subau received a test drive and another is coming to buy in the AM....
Bye bye Subaru people..

Oh yeah? Moving on from Subarus are we? Gonna have to unload your EA81 goodies on me when I buy the wheels :D

I removed the hood pins on the ski wagon today and installed a correct, working Hood latch with good handle. Hood closes like butter now.

#3928 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yes, in a day i will be down to one BRAT.....:banana: and a junk brat which is now on craigs for 575.

#3929 Stubies Subie

Stubies Subie

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Carver, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

My nephew came over tonight with his entourage of able bodied teenagers and went to work on my car, and pretty much got most of it back together in short order.

I still need to paint the caliper and brake booster, will try to get that done next week, but here's what it looks like so far with freshly painted parts.

Posted Image Posted Image

it's been really slow going, cause of a little bit lack of parts and funds, lack of ambition, sore back, old age ....thank god for nephews :D

now I can get back to work on this ....
Posted Image

Edited by Stubies Subie, 26 March 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#3930 ManYaiK

ManYaiK

I miss my SVX :(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

http://www.subaru-sv...ead.php?t=59511

Totalled my SVX on Friday:dead:

#3931 BATLWGN

BATLWGN

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Otsego, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Glad to see you are alive! :eek:

#3932 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

http://farmington.cr...2924459203.html

#3933 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image
Taking blocks to machine shop today... EA81 and EJ25.

#3934 swineholocaust

swineholocaust

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

1980 DL
New front cv's, hubs, air filter, oil pan gasket, oil filter, valve cover gaskets, ripped entire interior out, need to finish welding hood brackets and some floor holes up, then she will be ready for bed liner on the floor. got a new hood. and just got done rebuilding the carb. oh and lifted her up.

#3935 Suba_GL_87

Suba_GL_87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Central Oregon, Oregonian

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

The outer spring appears to be inverted.

really, it's regular outer springs look even to me than this image.
im trust this guy who knowledge of West Coast of Subaru from Seattle WA.

#3936 desertsubaru

desertsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Gassaway WV

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Doing what most people do to an EA82 at least once in its life. FREAKING HEAD GASKETS!!!!!!:banghead:

Got r done today:banana: It runs 90% better.:lol:

#3937 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Cut rust out:
Posted Image

Welded new metal in:
Posted Image

The whole bottom of the rocker pretty much had to be cut out. Then had to fabricate new support thingies to strengthen it, and weld in new metal.
PITA. It's the last stretch of de-rusting my car though. Hopefully then it'll pass inspection and be roadworthy again :)

#3938 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,727 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Interesting, no more Pinch Weld! I might do the same as you when I get my Rockers.

#3939 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

I didn't see any point in recreating the pinch weld. It doesn't surve any purpose, really. I mean, stock form there's the body that bends down, the rocker that bends down, and the bit of sheet metal in the middle that sandwiches. Obviously that makes it nice and stiff so you can jack the car there and it supports the whole weight of the car. And it's a nice rigid construction. But I always end up bending that damn thing over on the side and whatnot.

So here I welded a bit of metal from the rocker right to the bottom of the floorpan. In the middle I have 3/16" flat stock ever few inches going up and down to make it as rigid as stock. Without cutting it completely apart I couldn't reconstruct it like stock. It should do just fine.

#3940 man on the moon

man on the moon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Denver

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

I replaced the solenoid (I think that's what it is) that has two vacuum lines coming off it. The one that sits on the intake manifold. My gas mileage has improved significantly and this is only the first tank of gas!

#3941 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,785 posts
  • Texas

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Put new wiper blades all the way around on the wife's OBW. Trico exactfit on the fron, a cheap Anco on the back.

Put a Trico exactfit 14-b on the back of my WRX - looks awesome. Put refills in the 08 STI aero blades I run on the front. Kinda fiddly but much cheaper than the whole blade.

Got all the stuff ready for maintenance next month. We don't put a lot of miles on the cars so I do fluid changes and other related stuff in April and October.

#3942 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • North ID

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

My ea81 spilled its guts.....

Posted Image

:drunk:

#3943 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure how this happened, but Sunday, both front outer CV boots failed within like, a mile of one another. :confused: Pulled them out and had them rebooted, and re-installed them. All set for Saturday's Tucson RallyCross II! :banana:

#3944 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

My ea81 spilled its guts.....

Posted Image

:drunk:

Is that an '85+ block...

#3945 Moosen

Moosen

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Big Sky, MT

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

I'm not sure how this happened, but Sunday, both front outer CV boots failed within like, a mile of one another. :confused: Pulled them out and had them rebooted, and re-installed them. All set for Saturday's Tucson RallyCross II! :banana:

Was that easy? I need to replace my passenger front cv axle soon and have it sitting in my room. want to get it done in like an hour?

#3946 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Axles are wicked easy. If everything isn't stuck it's less than an hour job.

#3947 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Count on 2 hours for axles, the first time. It gets easier with experience, some times!

#3948 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Was that easy? I need to replace my passenger front cv axle soon and have it sitting in my room. want to get it done in like an hour?

The overall process of pulling out the axle and reinstalling it is really not complicated at all. Pull the knuckle out of the lower ball joint, pull the axle off the tranny, and pull the axle out of the knuckle. Installation is reverse. The hardest part is getting the axle out of the knuckle. Sometimes they can get really stuck and you sit there beating on it with a big 'ol fat hammer. The cone washer can also get stuck and be a pain to get loose too. So yes, stupid easy. :)

#3949 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

If you haven't had it apart before, you'd probably be better off pulling the inner control arm bolt. The first time I had to get my ball joints apart took hours of beating, pounding, and abuse. Those suckers get stuck!

#3950 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • North ID

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Is that an '85+ block...

Yep.

Supposed to be '86 :burnout:

Why?

1 user(s) are reading this topic