Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Decarbonized the engine using distilled water and a squirt bottle (about 3 cups through the engine). Throttle response is nice and smooth up to 4k on the tach now.

Bought a dwell meter and set the idle mixture "by the book".

Next up: timing and a new oil pump.

how well does that work? equal too or better than sea foam?

Works pretty good... re: hydrolock - use the idle adjust to spin the engine up around 2.5k and then use the squirt bottle to squirt a little water into the carb, the rpm's drop, wait until they come back up, repeat. Took me about 20 minutes.

threw synth oil, new oil and air filter onto the 06 WRX wgn. Inspected stuff, vacuumed leaves off the cowl area....probably check tire pressure in a minute...

Work on the 03 Outback this weekend and maybe next week too. Needs plugs (ugh).

brought the 'car dog' out front with me while i worked in the garage.

2696169296_702b7c0b69_z.jpg?zz=1

Good day so far. Got paid to fix wifes Pontiac door locks at work under warranty, remachined the front rotors, and gave it the Mobile 1 oil change. She was then very happy and said I could enjoy the rest of afternoon working on the Loyale. The Donorwagon gave up both good front interior door panels as well as the hidden newer door speakers, the non-leking headlamp, the non-rustred out front lower valance, and the left front fender that is without rust unlike the one I took off. It may be different colors now but not with large rust holes. Still gotta yank drive-train, rest of interior, and some chunks of sheetmetal so I can get it gone from behind neighbors house. Thank you Donorwagon.

Edited by FlatFourFrenchy
forgot something

Talk to GeneralDisorder... hes in the Portland area.

Im in Hillsboro, but I probably cant do much to help you... but you can chill n chat lol

Do you know anything about knocking noises pertaining to, cv axle, wheel bearings, type stuff? ahaha

CALLING GENERAL DISORDER!!!!!

now we sit and wait :popcorn:

87 GL wagon spfi ea82 with intermittent stalling when you come to a stop. Replaced vacuum lines, breather lines, cleaned the maf, checked timing & idle adj. Still there.

Today while cleaning out the idle air valve found insulation on one of the solenoid wires was cracked shorting to the little clamp on the solenoid - just bare enough to short when braking hard so the connector pulled on the wires.

Wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been checking the solenoid resistance to make sure the coil was OK.:banana:

87 gl wagon spfi ea82 with intermittent stalling when you come to a stop. Replaced vacuum lines, breather lines, cleaned the maf, checked timing & idle adj. Still there.

Today while cleaning out the idle air valve found insulation on one of the solenoid wires was cracked shorting to the little clamp on the solenoid - just bare enough to short when braking hard so the connector pulled on the wires.

Wouldn't have noticed it if i hadn't been checking the solenoid resistance to make sure the coil was ok.:banana:

sweet

Did a rallyx in my GL. It was awesome, and I did pretty well. Ended up somewhere in the middle of the highest mod all wheel drive class.

But that morning when I popped my hood for tech I found an axle DOJ ball bearing chilling on the engine crossmember. And a hole in the boot it came out of. It was fine all day, an was fine going 80 on the highway going home... I have no idea how an axle can spit a bearing, and just be fine like that.... Yet it happened.

Started with a new Thrush turbo muffler to replace the stock one puking its fiberglass sound deadening material out, then rebuilt the main window switch to no avail. Custom booty-fabbed a few wires that i can swap to make the window roll back up, welded the right rear door lock rod back together so now the door locks too!

replaced my wheel bearings and that still didn't fix the knocking. I am about ready to sell the car. Anyone in the portland oregon area want to look at it for me? :(

sh*t! why go all the way to portland, just drive it up to great falls, ill look at it!

ive worked on a farm for years, and rebuilt the front end on my subie. just let me know and ill do it. :)

besides that way i can see first hand a ea82 with a weber, have mine in the mail but still have to install it.

Took a look under the valve covers... I really shouldn't have. Now my OCD is flaring up.

...I'll be Seafoaming the inside of the engine this week. Probably twice.

ha ha ha, thats funny sh*t. sounds like something i would do. im going to seafoam my crank case, and in the manifold, also the fuel system.

How did you attached it?

Jeszek,

This one was 2 1/2" thick, so not quite ultra slim lol, but slim. It barely fits as is, but I did manage to get it installed as a puller and until i get the car torn down a bit to pull out the fender and bumper it's just attached with real heavy zip-ties through the radiator.

Not quite as clean as I'd like to have it, but after the accident priorities switched from getting things done properly to getting things done by whatever means necessary lol. Hopefully after I hook up the chain and yank the body panels out a bit I can get it fastened better (and get the car looking better)

today, I worked on the wife's 03 H6 OBW.

synth oil and oil filter

airfilter

swapped about 2 pints of old PS fluid for new. (turkey baster with hose, sucked out the tank, filled to mark, idled car and moved the wheels a few times. Then emptied tank again and refilled)

drain/fill about 3.5 qts of transmission fluid. Used the Subaru ATF-HP. I plan to do this again in October, then again next April.

BUT, I discovered the boot on the driver's side is now torn!, I just 6 months ago installed struts and the pass side axle. We're gonna drive it as is for at least 6 months. Just don't feel like tackling that right now cause....I need to put plugs in!!!, I guess I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. It looks impossible.

also, can anyone confirm that, the thing missing it's hose near the middle of the following picture is the PCV valve on an 03 H6? ;

attachment.php?attachmentid=3143&d=1096341223

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan