Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Mostly I bought it. A 1985 AWD Wagon with 155,000 miles for $500. Then I changed the front brake pads and I have shoes for the rear that I haven't gotten around to changing yet. I took out the interior, which was in very nice shape, because of standing water on the floor. I let the carpet dry out and used some silicone caulk around the windshield as a temporary leak fix. I also changed the spark plugs and replaced a wire to the right rear turn signal. It's drivable now but it has no exhaust after the Y-pipe and a lot of electrical problems. The dash is still apart from the person who had it before me and I'm reluctant to put it back together until I solve the electrical problems. The power windows don't work at all, the heater almost never switches between vent, heat, and defrost and the fan only comes on in high. The wiring to the radio is damaged, it looks like it was rubbed on the metal under the dash and several wires have the insulation rubbed off and one or two are even broken. Under the hood someone bypassed the fan temperature switch so the electric fan is always on. But it seems to drive ok, it just doesn't have much power. I think it was totally worth $500, I just need to find the time, when the weathers nice, to work on all the little things.

Went to replace an axle boot today, and found out that there was, in fact, a stray ball bearing in my axle. Someone must have dropped an extra one in when assembling it. The hole in the axle boot is perfectly bearing sized, it must have gotten tired of centrifugal force and exited the boot. Which is unfortunate. But random dumb luck landed the bearing on the engine crossmember. Which has about 1/4" of grime on it, so the bearing just sat there until I found it. Weird as hell.

^^^ funny story actually while i was changing my doj boot last summer i left a 14 mm wrench on the control arm bolt pinched up against the unibody rail, and pulled it off around christmas. the wrench stayed on that bolt for about 2,000 miles.

Enough failed axle boot grease, engine oil leaks, and road grime in the mix has a nice sticky thick paste on the crossmember that holds things pretty well.

Funny story related. I got my legacy with a bad engine, swapped in another engine that turned out bad. Swapped in another engine, that turned out bad. And finally take that out to swap in the current engine. I always thought the crossmember was black, you know, to match the car. WELL, I somehow scraped some goo off by accident, and it was grey underneath. I thought I managed in scratching it to bare metal. NOPE! It's actually grey!! I had no idea...

Nothing! Which is a miracle!

Ok, not entirely true. I had steam come out from under the hood last week, discovered I needed to tighten down the clamp for the hose/thermostat housing.

Added some oil.

...other than that, though, nothing!

Oh, and I need to swap out my snow tires this weekend.

I spoke too soon. On the way home tonight the motor started making funny noises and blowing clouds of steam. I got to an exit and she died as I rolled around the corner, about 200 feet from a huge pull-out. It is safe to say she overheated :( .

I almost took her home (called a wrecker), but ended up dropping the car at Shawn's shop instead. I hope you don't mind, Shawn!

I did check my oil, it was way full. Drained it. No water (that I could see) in the oil. And no water in the motor, either. I poured in d*n near a gallon once it cooled down. The engine turned over and started, but I let the truck still take me as I suspect the whole thing would just happen again, and my water supply was limited. There was water running down from the side tanks of the radiator, and seeping from what appeared to be either the intake or top-of-the-head gasket on the driver side. Not sure if it was a hose, gasket, or just heat inspired expansion that will go away once things are good again.

Answered the question, does a tall 92 GL center console fit in a Brat?

consolesay.jpg

Mostly.

Modification: detach and reattach seat belt anchors.

Theres also all that space designed to hold the seat belt reels for a passive belt..

So plenty of room to hide things.

Probably a few screws to hold things in place. My elbow likes it so far..

The challenge as usual is to always have a unmucked original part ready to put back if things dont work out.

Got the Brat seats back from recovering them. We retained the original cloth insert and put new vinyl all around. Also welded the clutch cable bracket at the pedal end and installed a new clutch cable. Now to scour several years worth of accumulated brake dust and grime off the white wheels, paint the plastic bumpers and mirrors and give it it a nice wash & wax.

Well i bought a right front monroe (since the set i bought were rears, and 2 fronts haha) and coming back up the hill driving our 260z it completely died, and wouldn't start... then came home and dug through wheels and found some subaru ones! :D (white 8 spoke)

i sold my 87gl-10 wagon...:(:(

but every cloud has a silver lining(gunmetal in this case).. heres my new wag!

its a 91 loyale 4wd auto with 142k

img0118mc.jpg

img0119ng.jpg

img0120ar.jpg

img0122xw.jpg

img0121ld.jpg

img0123vx.jpg

scored this beaut for 800. with a parts 94 wag to go with it.

runs good shifts good but it needs a new fpr to be reliable and an oil change as the oil is more gas than oil..

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Edited by AKghandi

do you guys have any tips on how to install a ball joint boot. cause this little bastard has taken up about an hour of my time, and i cant get the boot on the ball joint! :banghead::banghead:

If they are Moog, there is a plastic ring inside the lip of that boot. I could not get the boot over the BJ either. I decided to crack the plastic ring, and then it popped on nicely. Plus its not gonna move around or pop off once installed.

there not moog there ingals and the ring like you are talking about is metal in my case. i did it on the other side but i cant do it on this side. do you guys think it would be a bad idea to use a sanding bit on a dremal to lower the out side diameter on the bj?

You are only going to be removing a very fine .100 of an inch to make the boot slip over. It shouldn't hurt it any, but remember, they are gonna be hardend steel, and might be hard to grid.

I supposed if I had no other option, I would also go that route.