Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Ran a quick inspection of the PandaWagon in preparation of the trip to SubieFest:

Brake pads, brake lines, CV boots, fuel lines, coolant lines (have a small leak at the lower radiator hose, but it's manageable), fluid checks, checked the intake tubing since I was in there not long ago, readjusted air pressures for the extra weight of the road trip, and tightened up one of the exhaust connections.

Still need to clean the interior, exterior, do a CB check, adjust the clutch, download Sunday's sermon onto iPod, munchies, drinks, pack the car, etc....:D

Smashed, welcome to CO. Hope you enjoy your time here. Great season to be in the rockies.

ice, not coming TO Colorado; just left it after over eleven years living there. I now live in the flat and humid jungles of central Florida :/ The reasons for having bought the Soob are now pretty much moot but I'm still going to give it a lift kit and everything just to piss off the old folks down here. :headbang:

Well yesterday was the first time I started my car up in like 3 weeks since the belt broke and the woodruff key messed up the old crank pulley.

All I can say is the harbor Freight jump booster comes in handy again! I forgot to take a picture of the keyway right side up and with the new sprocket on.. I figure why take any chances.. I had to use a scuff pad to clean up the light rust on the crank and I had to use my pickle fork to get it off (timing gear puller was a waste of $$) So once that was all done I started putting stuff back on.. I do need to replace that drivers side belt cover just because it shattered on the highway one day from something on the road :-|

I will end up replacing the center belt cover later on..

meanwhile I noticed (before I took the TB off) my timing was off on the passenger side by 1 and drivers side by two. I fell like an idiot It took me less time to do it when I did my HG but I ended up messing up.. but the engine was out of the car... The engine being in this time was not as bad but it took me awhile longer (an hour) but this time I can say for sure I got the marks right, what threw me off was when you put the last idler in it starts to pull on the cams in which the exhaust cams on both side start to rotate and timing is off... Well I forgot about the tensioner.. the pin was in but I got a good deal of extra slack I needed and I was able to get a tooth of extra slack to get it around the sprocket near the water pump.

After I was done went out and got food, and somehow I'm not sure how I got from the computer to the bed.. I was pretty much knocked out.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

ECU went nuts after I started the car the o2 sensor 2 is legit because I bent the body of the sensor because it was on hard.. the knock sensor was crazy.. it's not two year old and it's a crapshoot on which code you might get if you reset it again.. it's off now.

2012-10-05_18-11-10.jpg

Before I took off the TB

IMAG0321.jpg

My powder coated rotors held up wit all that rain we had.. Now I have to quickly get some summers on so I can take the stock wheels off and give them some powder coating and throw the winter tires on very soon.

IMAG0330.jpg

While old motor is still ticking away at 200k and oil light only comes on at idle I freshened up all of the front seals and timing belts on donor motor. It wasn't leaking but it is so much easier to do with motor on the stand. I went with genuine suby seals for oil pump and valve covers. The oil pump reseal went smooth. I found the pump oring seal split so I was happy to fix that now rather than waiting for the TOD again. I met the parts guy at Subaru and he was very new. His has been training on the new parts catalog so I had to work with him on the illustration on a car that when new he was still in diapers. All seals still availible at dealer and not stupid priced either. I am busy next couple of weekends and am looking forward to installing better engine and a tickless future very soon.

New front wheel bearings & seals, ball joints, tie rod ends and steering rack boots on both sides of my 1996 Legacy L. New ABS wheel sensor on the front driver wheel, there was so much slop in that wheel bearing that the tone ring hit the tip of the sensor and broke it off!

210,000 on the car, 10,000 on the 2.5 frankenmotor and counting.

03 H6 OBW;

some minor stuff (wiper blades, swapped a little pwr steering fluid and tightened hose clamp, cleaned battery terminals ,inspected stuff)

adjusted parking brakes

engine oil and filter

drain/fill transmission - 3.5 quarts ATF-HP (I did this 6 months ago, thinking about doing it again next October - then once every 2 years)

biggest job, replacing rear bushings on the lower control arms (transverse link) with Prothane poly inserts.

Discovered DS axle now has split boot (suspected from smell)

found front brake pads need replacing

06 WRX wgn;

replaced front parking lights with LED due to one being burnt out.

swapped some pwr steering fluid - need to to swap more, very dark looking.

engine oil/filter

while checking parkingbrake adjustment, discovered bad rear wheel bearing! argh!

While inspecting front area, found broken antiswaybay droplink! argh! (car has less than 42K miles!!!)

I think i discovered more work than I performed!

Road trip!

8058551449_9ea48749a9_z.jpg

My sister and I took our wagons to SubieFest and participated in the AutoX. Had a blast!

8069644617_7cc8614235_c.jpg

8069635238_b4ec3f0689_c.jpg

8069723871_335852d99f_z.jpg

I came in second in my class and my sister came in 4th. We had a ball - the new skool guys thought it was cool seeing the old skool cars out there too. It was awesome!

We represented old school Subaru at Cars in the Park!

8085022781_6dd7e682a6_z.jpg

PandaWagon got third in it's class:

8085024991_1f84722727_z.jpg

:headbang:

Brought Wedge too:

8085021012_365dae61c0_z.jpg

and my sister took hers also:

8085022181_6d09f672df_z.jpg

We had three of the 4 Subarus there out of 350 cars.

The most comments I overheard: "Why is there soo much space under the hood?" Then you hear someone else say "The spare tire goes there!" :D

Removed the luggage rack and am currently in the process of repainting it. Tomorrow, new Pioneer shallow speakers for the doors and masking off the bumpers and painting them, too.

Pictures tomorrow! :headbang:

Also, now that I think of it, does anybody know how to remove the hard plastic stripe on the fenders/doors/rear quarter? Not the wide plastic/rubber trim that says Subaru on it on the gl's or Loyale on it on the Loyales, the thin one that is about a foot above that. I think it was a GL thing, haven't seen a Loyale with that trim.

Luggage rack painted.

Cat cut out.

Straight pipe welded in.

Stock muffler cut out.

Magnaflow muffler welded in.

Front bumper taped off and hit with a coat of paint tonight. Sanding and more coats tomorrow.

New windshield.

New windshield wipers.

Inspection sticker.

Shallow Pioneer speakers self tapped into front doors.

Sony X-plod head-unit installed.

:)

Edited by l75eya