Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

If you go all the way tight with them they will be loose due to an aged seal - but if you back them off just a hair they will stay put. This is why they went to threaded cap's on the EJ's.

GD

But still, a new OE cap is like $5 bucks. I know, I bought one cause mine was bent (Other owners)

Are the EJs still alloy or plastic?

-Tom

• Like 1

I bought my 81 Brat in June. Since then I've replaced the engine and radiator(thanks GWilson87), added a Redline Weber kit, rejetted the Weber, put in a new tailpipe, removed the mangled push bar and hammered the bumper back to roughly straight, installed a Kenwood Excelon head unit, added Aura Bass Shakers, swapped seats from an early 90's Eclipse, put in a big ole battery, rewired the headlights with relays straight off the battery, replaced the rotors with slotted and crossdrilled ones, put new tires on, new clutch, finally passed emissions and safety, and upgraded to a 100 amp alternator out of an old Astro van.

Upcoming projects in no particular order are, install a proper coolant overflow tank, rewire the rest of the lights, sandblast and powdercoat my white spokes, fab speaker pods so I can install a pair of MB Quart 6.5" separates, patch the inner front fenders, cobble up some sort of amp rack, fix the sloppy shift linkage, put new boots on the front CVs, replace my sorta functional ignition switch with a toggle and push button, rip out the A/C, and then maybe I can finally start fixing the body rot.

'85 BRAT, so far this month.

Swapped radiator and T-stat. No help in getting temp reading below the 1/2 mark, everything else is less than 2 years old as far as cooling system stuff. Still digging... Current 2-row radiator is 7 years old, and in great condition.

New front/rear fuel filters helped the drivability issues I was having.

Chasing a vibration now. Swapped driveshaft already, no help. Starts around 40 mph, just makes the whole BRAT "hum", so can't pin-point it by ear. Has good axles all around, new front wheel bearings. Have new motor and tranny mounts to install, so maybe that will help?!?

Due for oil/filter change, needs new cap/rotor, plugs and wires.

'85 BRAT, so far this month.

Swapped radiator and T-stat. No help in getting temp reading below the 1/2 mark, everything else is less than 2 years old as far as cooling system stuff. Still digging... Current 2-row radiator is 7 years old, and in great condition.

Check it with a temp gun. My '85 Brat also reads high but the temp gun shows that it's the gauge or sender that's off. Fan comes on just below the red but cycles normally.

GD

Hummm. Is that a Forester core support?

No - it's a stock EA82 core support. The car (EA82 3-Door Coupe) was hit on the passenger side sometime in it's past and it crumpled the frame rail enough that I couldn't get it straight to my liking. The car is pretty much worthless but it's got a low mileage engine and a decent interior. More than anything I'm doing it as a learning experience as this will be the first front-clip replacement I've done.

Oh - and spot-weld cutter's ROCK!

GD

Feel free to jack this thread, I need to finish the roof. I am quitting smoking, when I do, my grandma is giving me 500 bucks, so a 4" lift is soon in the works. My friend works at pick n' pull and can get me steel rims with "bad" tires for $5 each. thanks for the compliments and such, like I said, keep this thread going.

I like pictures.

2" front lift done yesterday. it cost me only like $5 for the hardware :banana:

CIMG7091.JPG

CIMG7092.JPG

lights on the bumper to see the sides of the road better. and the mesh grill. OH and finally license plates on it so its legal, even though I'm ordering my personalized ham radio ones tomorrow hopefully.

CIMG7094.JPG

switch panel for offroad lights, etc. more to be added later.

CIMG7095.JPG

We have replaced the radiator, put a new gasket under the weber carb, replaced the spark plugs, put a new thermostat in, fixed a leaking water hose, messed with the carb., It no longer overheats but now we have other problems. Oh I forgot the timing belt and oil and fuel pump and all the filters we put in in June. ( they know us by NAME at the parts store and we get a discount we bring them so much work) engine runs good though and she has a clean body NO rust and the interior is in decent shape 86 wagon. white with a roof rack. under 200,000 miles. We still need to .. fix the exhast leak (new gasket, fix the cv boot and replace some bearings) My sons 12, 14, and 16 are starting to learn alot about cars one wants a subaru some day but I hate to say it my 16 year old keeps asking why is your car the one that is always in need of some part. He drives it but.... wants a dodge charger daytona. 1969 version. ( he does not realize all the work older cars take) Of course our other cars have needed one $1000 part + but this one just nickles and dimes us. (our 1952 dodge needed a new engine last summer (2,000 later and we did 90% of the work) our 1998 ford V10 shuttle bus need new spark plugs $1000 (NEVER GET A TITAN V10 they run great but changing the spark plugs kills you hubby couldn't do it without taking the car apart and the friends we took it to swore never to touch it agian) for something so big though that thing hauls. It has great power and makes a nice RV. Hope to keep the Subie for a long time. at least till I can get collector plates for it (only a couple more years 7 to be exact.)

The triton V8s and V10s all are a nightmare. The Coil on Plug idea is a good indea but so freekin expensive to replace. You dont do those all at once. At 60 a piece its a bit much. But yea great power. I did alittle work today. Checked out the rear pumpkin situation and thats all fine and dandy. Continuing to chase demons.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1642

Ben, yes the coil on plus wires are expensive! The Toyota FJ has them now days, I guess its good since you don't need to worrie on getting any water in the cap/rotor stalling the engine. This FJ is supposed to go thru 3ft of water (It'll do it too)

As for what I've done, I used some spry wax on my fenders today, oh and changed my seafoamed oil. Thats about it... lol

-Tom :)

Parked mine. Gave it time off from daily combat. Fixed some crap on my Jeep so the Suubie can be down for a while...

Have some cool parts waiting for me to install, somehow I went from being underemployed to being overworked and some things, like Subraus and dirty laundry don't seem to take care of themselves :eek:

Well I thought I would start a mod thread, Post up the things you have done to your car recently! Here, I will go first:

Monday, Labor day, I was bored so I turned The Yetti (my car's former name) Into the UAV(Urban Assault Vehicle) Yes the roof isnt finished, but I had run out of paint and cash

Here's some pics

camo3.jpg

camo1.jpg

camo8.jpg

camo4.jpg

camo7.jpg

camo2.jpg

Then I added a sub ans organized all my shtuff into some russian ammo boxes i got for free from Cheaper Than Dirt, via craigslist.

camo5.jpg

camo6.jpg

What Have YOU done to your rig lately?

Wow that looks awesome, And I cant believe your in DFW!!! It is just you me and Todd in the DFW area?

-Daniel

• Like 1

Yeah, There is a wagon owner here in haltom, he told me about the site, but I can't remember his board name. He drives a silver fwd 5speed with a glasspack and driving lights on top the bumper.

Cool, Haven't met him. You met Todd yet? He is a great guy and has a Nice gen I wagon among other Subaru's...

you go offroading at all? We need to meet up... I found a few fun places to go mess around...

-Daniel