Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Hey I just did the same thing! Except I also resealed my oil pump and removed my belt covers.

I could hear brg noises & there were more than one source.

Plus the pre-heat tube on the front cat had broken welds making the heat shield rattle.

I'll keep my covers on - too many vandals around here. Yes they would crawl under to cut the belts.:mad:

Today:

Replaced both front axles, front strut springs with new MOOG CC856 progressive Tempo ones. Cut bottom 1 2/3 turns for OAL of 13". Put stock length radius rods back in.

Reset toe-in to 1/16".

Rides much better than straight wound Tempo springs. No more choppy bouncing, pitching the nose of the car around. Ride height is the same.

Now my low back won't ache so :lol:

Edited by czny
more info

Had a busy winter break... Found some pugs and a rack and my wife and I painted and gave them to our son for christmas. Then a headgasket went on the way to basket ball practice. Spent awhile doing that with my boys out in the snow and at 20 degrees outside. Put the rims on the subaru and dove it to the grange for a meet'n. Son drove it to town and the wheel fell off.

got some free accord springs, guess what i did with em. times up, i put em on an unblown (finally) set of wagon(finally) struts and slapped em on my 91 wag. and it hasnt settled AT ALL since i dropped it off the jack a couple days ago. i think im gonna remove the 2" lift in the rear, as it seams like ill still be lifted. also i think thats what jeszek did, and his wagon rules.

installed the pushbar and bumper from the 88 wag i just sold to a friend(and bought whitey back!) painted two tone bumper with black undercoating. looks really good.

installed giant annoying fart can. now i tell people its got a wrx motor...not really but its loud. so loud in fact that i might not leave it on there. then again, it may grow on me, i just dont wanna be cop bait any more than i already am.

still need tires but its nice not to bang struts in the rear anymore.

acquired the correct maxima alt. mine was from a 94 SE. wrong. got the right one and have already done the spacer dance so Crapwagon will be threadworthy (in my opinion) soon.

thats it for now, whitey doesnt need too much atm

... im gonna remove the 2" lift in the rear, as it seams like ill still be lifted. also i think thats what jeszek did, and his wagon rules. ...

You're Right; my "BumbleBeast" does run without any Lift on the Rear, 'cos the Accord Springs (on 4Runner Shocks) already gives the 2" Lift on the Rear; I only purchased a 2" Lift for the Front only, from Scott (SJR) to Level the car.

Thank you for your Kind Words, which are Greatly Appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
the "4Runner" underlined word, is a Web Link to my Writeup, for further details...

got some free accord springs, guess what i did with em. times up, i put em on an unblown (finally) set of wagon(finally) struts and slapped em on my 91 wag. and it hasnt settled AT ALL since i dropped it off the jack a couple days ago. i think im gonna remove the 2" lift in the rear, as it seams like ill still be lifted. also i think thats what jeszek did, and his wagon rules.

installed the pushbar and bumper from the 88 wag i just sold to a friend(and bought whitey back!) painted two tone bumper with black undercoating. looks really good.

installed giant annoying fart can. now i tell people its got a wrx motor...not really but its loud. so loud in fact that i might not leave it on there. then again, it may grow on me, i just dont wanna be cop bait any more than i already am.

still need tires but its nice not to bang struts in the rear anymore.

acquired the correct maxima alt. mine was from a 94 SE. wrong. got the right one and have already done the spacer dance so Crapwagon will be threadworthy (in my opinion) soon.

thats it for now, whitey doesnt need too much atm

well, i now have two maxima alts that dont fit :/ oh well...clist i guess.

took the lift tabs off the rear and things are good now. suspension lift>body lift:clap: i achieved the same amount of lift i had w gl10 sedan struts/springs and 2" tabs with unblown 88gl struts and 88ish accord rear springs uncut.

did a tail light swap on my 83 turbo wagon i switch it to the older 80-82 style with the chrome plated plastic. also rebuilt the carb on my 85 brat, getting ready for paint, and i'm working on swapping the headlight setup over to the 2 headlight setup(already have the third eye setup) just need to weld in the new buckets.

Replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, drained the oil, once I figure out how to get the pan off I'll replace the gasket. So right now it sits on the ramps:mad:

It's not that hard, just kind of a pain in the butt. Unbolt the exhaust, engine mount nuts, and transmission pitch stopper. Or dog bone, whatever you wanna call it.

Jack the engine and trans up by the front diff, now you'll have access to take the oil pan bolts out. The back ones sorta suck to get to, you need a wobbly extension. From there just wiggle the old pan out, clean everything up, and put the new one in.

My '94 Loyale received its 248,000 mile upgrades:

Replaced exhaust Y-pipe and mid-pipe with RockAuto parts to get rid of a heat shield rattle, which also gave me more power - stock cats must have been plugged up.

Replaced rear wheel bearings

Installed rear disk brakes from junkyard

Installed polyurethane bushings on rear swingarms (saw thread on this forum)

Installed new KYB GR2 shocks and struts all around. Found p/n's on this forum. Oddly enough, the front left was $7 and the front right was $50 on Amazon.com.

Installed Spring Rubbers in rear to boost spring rate and keep the car off the bump stops when fully loaded. Resulted in about a 1" lift in the rear. P/N 917250-075 required some trimming and a hammer to fit in the stock coil springs.

Replaced front tie rod ends and ball joints

Replaced front right axle - the inner CV joint was cooked by the old cat

Found the FR lower control arm bolt hole in the subframe was ovalized from hitting a curb. Loose and rattling & full of rusty water. Filled it with JB-weld, we'll see how that holds up :)

Nice new Rain-X winter wiper blades, totally worth it after dealing with crappy blades forever

Fixed oil smell in cabin by replacing cracked PCV hoses, PCV valve, and oil filler cap which was loose

Replaced valve cover gaskets

Fixed heater leak between A/C evaporator and heater core. Whenever the heater fan was on, cold air would blow out of the glove box area. Added a bunch of weatherstrip around the duct and re-fastened the duct clamp which was loose. Also patched up a duct hole a mouse had chewed through.

Replaced timing belts (much easier without covers!), spark plugs, and wires

Added weatherstripping to body side of all door seals and re-glued some door seals that had been torn off after freezing to the car. Applied a bunch of silicone spray to all of the seals.

Lubed all locks and latches.

Fixed driver's door rattle - missing rubber ring on door latch. Gorilla tape.

New iphone holder for the dash and 2-foot right-angle aux cable, non-retractable. Listening to audiobooks on my commute rocks!

LED dome light bulb and installed a hatch-area LED dome light this spring.

Installed some awesome General Altimax Arctic snow tires!

8263359330_80206ee6ca.jpg

This is a lot of work for an old car, but I love it, because it's a better car now than when I bought it 115K miles ago. I'm still waiting for the clutch to go so I can install the dual range tranny and reseal the engine.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum - I wouldn't have done half of this work without the inspiration and technical details I find here!

Edited by dennyt