Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Scooner, will be taking my '88 GL Baby to have catalytic converter probably replaced in a couple of days, as soon as this town thaws out... ( the muffler shop can't get to work...). Is it O.K. to just remove these on this model. or better to replace them? It sounds and feels like a front converter is plugged...

No pictures yet, possibly tomorrow...

Do you live in a place where emissions are required? If they aren't id take it off and bust out the honeycomb stuff inside and put it back on to see it that fixes your problem? I have an extra Y pipe sitting on the side of my garage but I dont think you live anywhere near Cheyenne, Wyoming right?

Some puddle lights I installed along with a ea82 done light upgrade, and red under dash lighting all tied in to the door switch.

That red looks pretty cool,kind of eerie. So, How big is the puddle light housing? Is anybody at risk of hitting their head on it? Or is that something else up there?

Edited by 81EA81

Rear axle on the back of my 87 finally installed. First one I ordered came in the mail and didn't have the stub axle on the end. I still had the cup and stud from my old axle in my car so I took it apart and was going to use the stub shaft from that but the SOAB would NOT come off. Car sat on jackstands for a week until my 2nd rear axle came in the mail and that (thankfully) still had the stub shaft on it so I just threw it right in. Still haven't gotten the stub separated for the first one yet though.

Also replaced a tire on the 93 because of a broken belt causing incredibly vicious steering wheel wobble. (Think impossible to drive without using two hands)

It's been a productive day. Tomorrow, new front axle in the 87.

Finished up welding in some sheetmetal for the wheel well housings in the bed.  Not pretty but with some body filler will get the job done.  Going to weld up some more sheetmetal in the wheel well arch tomorrow after I return the sheet metal shears that broke from Harbor Freight.  Also pulled out a nasty dent in the passenger door using sheetmetal screws and vise grips.  Will also be starting prepping the body for primer and paint over the next few weeks.  Going with a base/clearcoat and painting it in my garage.  No need to spend thousands at a body shop when I can get it pretty good for a couple hundred.  Then will probably put up on Ebay and the local classifieds.  Like the car a lot but dont have time to drive it, would rather see someone else get some pleasure driving it.

Some puddle lights I installed along with a ea82 done light upgrade, and red under dash lighting all tied in to the door switch.

Where did you put the hole for the puddle light install?

I was looking at those lights on eBay, and I'm not sure, did you drill a hole in the bottom of the door?

Where did you put the hole for the puddle light install?

I was looking at those lights on eBay, and I'm not sure, did you drill a hole in the bottom of the door?

Yep sure did, there's a perfect spot in the door for them, just put them back far enough so the window car roll down and your good to go.

got my old lifted 86 gl10 ridding smooth again...finally. just finished replacing the front axle and slid the the inner boots up a but for less stress. plus new outer tierod ends. new rear wheel bearings. had my nonstock lugs welded as well since one if them gave me a
fit and was spinning. glad to be done for now. should mention I did my 95 legacy wagons timing belt during this process. subie grind.

Edited by Leebo

Got my steering bushing in but ripped the ball joint boot on the tie rod trying to get that apart :mad:

Oh yeah, and found a rust spot on the bottom of the back quarter where they do. Broke away about a pinky-sized hole and por15'd the hell out of it.

Obsessively trying to keep the salt off as I prep for paint...

Got my steering bushing in but ripped the ball joint boot on the tie rod trying to get that apart

I try backing off the nut to the top of the stud and then hammering the shi- out of the side of the hub and usually it pops.

Finding coil springs for a Loyale 4wd wagon has been a challenge. I have repeatedly gone back to the "BumbleBeast" thread, but I'm not looking for 2" lift. I wanted a firmer ride for sportier handling and a slight ride height increase for looks, I don't want to stress my CV joints, and I want to know spring rates!!

So I purchased a set of NAPA coils springs for a 2004 Camry. Spring rate went from 146 stock (who knows what they are 21 years later) to 162. Spring ends are flat and tangential, not exactly like stock, but they fit up just fine. ID is almost equivalent, length is about .5" longer, wire diameter is thicker.

I just installed sealed front wheel bearings because greasing the inner sets are a pain.

Replaced valve cover gaskets.

New drilled and slotted black-zinc brake discs with ceramic pads, on their way to me right now.

Rear springs and shocks are next. The NAPA salesman was oh-so-kind to give me a coil spring catalog, and I found a Monroe fitment catalog online in pdf format. I'll post a follow-up to the rear setup.

Would like to have a set of white spoke wheels to powder-coat and mount with new tires that will be necessary this summer. I have two 1980-84 types and two 1985-1989 types, would like to find two more of the later style.

Update: ordered a pair of KYB GR-2 ( p/n 341065) shocks for the rear. Look great, DON'T FIT!!! They are about an inch shorter than the old shocks, and no way can I get the assorted bumpers,washers,frame mount, and spring seat on the piston shaft and still spin the nut. The old shocks from the car have only a "733331" stamp, no manufacturer's name, but I found a Gabriel catalog which cross-references a 733331 MFG number to a Gabriel Part Number....... G51183. I just ordered a set for $74 from my local O'Reilly's and will have them tomorrow morning. Spread the news!!!!!! Gabriel G51183 !!!!! Direct-fit replacement shock for the 4WD Loyale wagon !!!!

Moog CC248 coil springs will be mounted in the rear, purchased off of ebay for $53.

Decided to rebuild the front brake calipers, but found brand-new calipers from R1 Concepts for $120 (set of right/left), so I bought them!

Edited by motorrad2
  • Like 3