Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6226 replies to this topic

#5801 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Noticed a noise a couple days ago when I started the car. Didn't think much of it. Yesterday morning, the noise got kinda worse, but I still drove to work. After I got off of work, I decided to see what the issue was. Opened the hood and started the engine. Clutch fan was wobbling about so much, it looked like it was gonna break. I shut it off, and noticed my water pump pulley was loose. Great... Wasn't too bad, so I started driving (trying to keep RPMs below 3K), but the noise kept getting worse. Eventually steam started coming out of my engine bay, temp gauge went up, etc. Pulled into the O'Reilly parking lot, only to find the engine bay covered in coolant.

The water pump pulley was at like a 30 degree angle, pointing up. No way I could drive home now. Went into the O'Reilly and bought a new pump, gasket, o-ring, coolant, and sealant. Luckily they had it all in stock! With no other choice, I replaced the water pump in the parking lot. I don't have A/C, P/S, or timing belt covers, so it wasn't a daunting task. Took me about 1.5 hours (I love EA82s!!!). The guy next to me took about the same amount of time to change a light bulb on his Mercedes. :banana:

Repair was successful, and it wasn't leaking. Was running hot on the way home, but I bled out the cooling system again and it's running cool again. I've had bad luck with O'Reilly water pumps, but hopefully this one will last. I didn't really have a choice to order a Japanese made pump.

All in all, not bad for a roadside repair. Guys at O'Reilly were cool with it. Luckily all my coolant had expelled itself on the road, so I didn't have a mess to clean up. :brow: My old pump is absolute trash. The fins had damaged the pump, scraped metal, chipped holes in it. Seals are shot and one of the bearings fell out.

you my friend, are the bane of waterpumps

#5802 LucasP

LucasP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

I had the honor of getting to fix a stuck front caliper today on my 87 gl, in the parking lot at school, in dress clothes.  Just temp fixed it by wacking it with a hammer and getting some grease in there.  Not bad considering I only had my aviation tool with me and nothing in metric sizes.

#5803 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I had the honor of getting to fix a stuck front caliper today on my 87 gl, in the parking lot at school, in dress clothes. Just temp fixed it by wacking it with a hammer and getting some grease in there. Not bad considering I only had my aviation tool with me and nothing in metric sizes.

Now a picture of that would be awesome! Dress clothes beating on a subaru haha typical subaru guy.

#5804 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Rained last night and this morning. Still @&^$%&%* leaking rain water into passenger compartment. I give up, gonna have to have Safelite re-seal their windshield.

#5805 Responsible Jon

Responsible Jon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Indiana

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I reassembled my FT4WD 5 speed turbo transmission with 23 spline stubs to replace the 25 spline stubs so I can put it in my Brat without making hybrid axles.  It's got new seals all around and everything went back together correctly.  It has been a long process, but now I'm ready to move on to prepping the EJ22 that is sitting in the bed of my Brat.  Feels good!

#5806 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

yesterday i patted my loyale(my avatar pic). its been who knows how long since i took it apart. I believe I now have all the parts needed to get it to wcss in reasonable condition. we're going spfi ea81 and 3 ish inch lift...i have crap laying around. ill come ready to break most thing on it and have parts to back it up as i dont have any other gen3 cars needing parts any time soon

#5807 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

I repaired/replaced the rear rotor, pads and parking brakes on my 1998 Legacy Outback. I forgot how much I hate drum brake hardware. The calipers were kind of stuck in place, too. Now the braking force is noticeably better with the caliper actually floating.

#5808 belacane

belacane

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

I ordered some new inner tie rods to install in my '02 WRX, as the current ones have a good bit of play. Looking forward to a better steering experience!

#5809 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Did some cleaning under hood of wagon. Still got some hoses I would like to tidy up...

http--,,--//P4100479_zps03be0881.jpg

http--,,--//

Edited by jonas, 10 April 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#5810 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Just used an aftermarket central locking kit, same as this one http://www.trademe.c...n-713436763.htm

gives me remote lock/unlock as well but no remote start.

all wiring for it (central unit to actuators already has connectors) just had to hook up constant 12+ and ground.

I didn't use the mounting tabs that they supply, just tried to find the best spot for the actuators to push/pull the lock and where i could just drill through the door to hold them there, once i had the actuator somewhere i thought it would work i bent the supplied rod so that it would move the door lock, i decided to move off of a short vertical rod close to the outer edge of the door instead of the more horizontal long rod since i couldn't see how i would mount it to move the longer rod. I drilled a hole low down in the door and right where the wiring access panel is? near the front doors to run the wires, ran the wires across behind the dash to passenger door, pulled the carpet up down the edge to run the wires to the rear drivers side then the carpet to just behind front seats to run the wires across to the rear passenger side, was just enough stock wire to make the rear doors.

I think the rear doors were probably the worst, but that might of just been me, front passenger was the easier and then probably running the wires was the easiest part. The kit also comes with connecters to flash indicators, fake flashing alarm light, a window rising output and a spare +ve trigger and a spare -ve trigger. I haven't hooked up the indicators yet and may not unsure yet. Mounted the blue flashing led in the dash next to the electric mirror controls.And when  i say it was frustrating that was mostly due to me starting this at about 7pm both nights so i was still going when it was dark outside using a couple of lights.

If anyone wants pictures im happy to get a few of how the actuators are mounted, keep in mind how i've done any of this may not be the best way

Tom.

I take it your doors did not have the master lock/unlock then? I only put one of those actuators in the driver side because it is a master. All the other doors are lock/unlocked by action of the driver side.  As far as indicators, I just flash the lights n mine. I don't like the horn chirp so I left it off. Mine only flashes the lights when I use the remote to lock or unlock.

#5811 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

300 mile oil change and head re-torque... so far so good.

#5812 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Had my exhaust blow out in the middle of Olympia en route to fix a rig Valentines day just never got around to posting what it sounded like...

Some folks pay a lot of money to make their cars sound like that. You got it for free.

#5813 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

As you know, I ran these on my Loyale. These bulbs do not last long. I drive with my headlights on all the time, but these don't last long. I have since switched to Sylvania Silver Star Ultras, whatever the $55/pair bulbs are at O'Reilly. They have AMAZING night performance and have been going strong since October 2013.

Yeah I know. You were the one that recommended them to me. Oh well they were cheap enough. They do seem rather dim though compared to the Sylvanias (regular, not SS) that I had on there. I did keep the previous bulbs so I can switch back. I have read that the Sylvania Silver Stars do not last as long as regular bulbs though.

Edited by MR_Loyale, 11 April 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#5814 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Before pulling the winter wheels and tires off, I cleaned up and re-sprayed the summer wagon wheels  :)

wheels01.jpg

wheels02.jpg

wheels03.jpg

#5815 Tom0

Tom0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Dunedin NZ

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

I take it your doors did not have the master lock/unlock then? I only put one of those actuators in the driver side because it is a master. All the other doors are lock/unlocked by action of the driver side.  As far as indicators, I just flash the lights n mine. I don't like the horn chirp so I left it off. Mine only flashes the lights when I use the remote to lock or unlock.

It has one master actuator that if it is locked/unlocked manually it locks/unlocks the rest, installed on the drivers door. The rest of the actuators just have 2 wires and lock/unlock when the drivers door does, or when i use the remote key.

#5816 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

well after 10 hrs in the garage and at the parts store i completed a couple things.

new front cv, new rear struts out of a 4runner(thanks for the idea jezzek)

new u joint and put the old diff back in and took the oncewelded one out..

then i discovered the inner doj on a rear cv had exploded.. the cup turns without the axle..

it never ends :D

#5817 SubaruGL85FTW

SubaruGL85FTW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • El Paso Texas

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

bought one lol

#5818 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Since I have to wait for Safelite (six frikking days from when I called...) to come out and re-seal their windshield, why not finish COMPLETELY gutting the car? Or close anyhow. Went ahead this morning and pulled the headliner out. PO's pitbull puppy gouged the crap out of that too, so may as well recover it while I'm balls deep into an interior makeover.

On the headliner, I'm thinking.....Mexican blanket colors    :lol:  :P  :drunk:

Edited by SmashedGlass, 12 April 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#5819 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,594 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

... new rear struts out of a 4runner(thanks for the idea jezzek) ...

You're Welcome!

~► http://www.ultimates...ils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

#5820 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,654 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

just changed intake air filter, oil and filter, and new trans oil in the WRX. cleaned batt terminals and checked fluids. Inspected brake pad thickness, Think I'll put a new set on all-around in October. Need to change the cabin filter and have Discount Tires rotate and balance the wheels.

should be good for the summer after this!

also, need to do some of the above on the Outback.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 12 April 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#5821 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Cut the muffler off, and replaced it with a small resonating chamber that leads into a side exit tail-pipe right behind the tire. Sounds a little raspy, but mean. Also cut off the heat shields from the catback.

#5822 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Welp, put a down payment on an 86 GL-10. Needs some love (paint, dings), but rust free, PT4WD, LSD. and had extra doors, grille, wheels and a complete 89 EA82T/FT4EAT drivetrain (from intake to all 4 hubs/subframes/diff ect) :banana:

Going to pick it up sometime in the next week or so.

#5823 SubaruGL85FTW

SubaruGL85FTW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • El Paso Texas

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

today ditributor cap and rotor cleaned it pulled the front end apart...-.- found out my head light mounts are different so i gotta try and locate one but theres nothing here in el paso so i gotta talk to a friend back home did some minor body work still have more to do its gunna be a fun project really wanna put a weber on my EA82 but its expensive so down the road this car is my fre time project when im not out being a Military Police officer haha :lol:

#5824 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

well after 10 hrs in the garage and at the parts store i completed a couple things.

new front cv, new rear struts out of a 4runner(thanks for the idea jezzek)

new u joint and put the old diff back in and took the oncewelded one out..

then i discovered the inner doj on a rear cv had exploded.. the cup turns without the axle..

it never ends :D

well i put a new axle in and it works great. a little too great actually, it broke the new u joint i put in last night.. twisted it right apart.

#5825 Tsuru

Tsuru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Darby, Montana

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

On the headliner, I'm thinking.....Mexican blanket colors    :lol:  :P  :drunk:

How about this...

http://worthfabrics....ther_fabric.asp

Actually, maybe this...

http://worthfabrics....?cID=0&PID=2157

Or go all Western with...

http://worthfabrics....sp?cID=0&PID=35

On Safari...?

http://worthfabrics....p?cID=0&PID=267

The possibilities are endless.

(and unsettling at times)

Edited by Tsuru, 13 April 2014 - 02:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users