Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6602 replies to this topic

#5826 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Haha Tsuru, funny thing is a leopard theme is a strong contender for the headliner as I was thinking of getting a high(er) quality seat cover set in leopard print.

But I did find this "Calaveres Alegres" print fabric that I can't seem to get out of my head now:

7810c.JPG

Edited by SmashedGlass, 13 April 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#5827 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

^ some reason I like!

#5828 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Well, Safelite wouldn't touch it, claimed "it's not a fault with our installation". I call bullshit. I took my Dremel to the rust pinhole from underneath through the fresh air intake, and in all of about .5 seconds had a nice hole clean through the metal about the size of this--> O. Could touch the glass with a pin through it, but there was no adhesive in that spot, just a nice void in it of unknown size. My theory is sloppy un-thorough application of the adhesive lead to moisture getting to that void and pinholing the metal. Currently have some 'quick setting' (ha! four hours ain't quick to me, with another storm on the way in....) JB Weld in the hole, finished grinding all the rust I could reach on the outside drip tray/windshield channel, and coated that with some epoxy paint. We'll see if it stops the leaking, and if so whether or not it lasts........

.....if not, I'll be selling off the otherwise good wagon :(

#5829 SubaruGL85FTW

SubaruGL85FTW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • El Paso Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

so i just went to orielly put on hold or ordered for tomorrow a thrush glass pack, KN oil filter, E3.46 Plugs, Mr Gasket air cleaner, B&M t handle shift knob, MSD coil, battery, fuel filter, brake pads, CV boots and im off to walmart to get oil, brake fluid, and some terminal connectors and will prolly be ordering a weber kit this week im like a little kid with how excited i am  :)  :banana:

#5830 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

POR 15 in the bed, expensive, but well worth it. 

0629c48dee06547eb879dde1c528eb54_zps5116a6a4a108c6aa86fd3338259089708690_zpseba1

#5831 buckkiller

buckkiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • yakima wa

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

Well put I'n a new center dash my old one was broken

Attached File  IMG_20140409_110543_829.jpg   66.95K   67 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20140409_111243_908.jpg   181.12K   80 downloads

Also plasti dip my front bumper
Attached File  IMG_20140413_211331_928.jpg   79.87K   62 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20140413_211307_094.jpg   86.67K   59 downloads

And found a 5 speed D/R trans for 100.00

Attached File  IMG_20140413_211211_762.jpg   91.4K   50 downloads

Thanks
Buck

#5832 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

That console is salvageable, just use some Weld-On #3 plastic weld, or two-part epoxy glue.

#5833 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Well put I'n a new center dash my old one was broken

attachicon.gifIMG_20140409_110543_829.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140409_111243_908.jpg

Thanks
Buck

Hope you didn't throw that center dash out, that is a site better shape then mine.

#5834 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Success!(?) 

We just had a massive downpour of rain lasting about 30 minutes, and I can report that there is zero water leaking onto my passenger floor.

The pinhole clean up with the DremelĀ® and JB Weld did the trick. How long will it last? Who knows....without pulling out the windshield to properly clean up the glass

channel (which the Safelite thugs should've done properly when THEY replaced it, let alone not leaving a frikking void in the adhesive.....) it

may very well eventually rust more. I'll keep hope alive and my fingers crossed. 

Meanwhile, I guess it's on to reupholstering that headliner.

#5835 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Got my cruise installed

Got my windows tinted

New starter

Tune up stuff

Fixed the cel

Got some tunes with some polk audio 5 1/4 up front 6 1/2 in the rear deck:)

Fixed some leaks

Cleaned it up

Ummm man I need to start my own thread:)

Anyway heres a pic, yay...

50d50f60a10628f53b06181268a9c750.jpg

#5836 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

Soldered in replacement harness and connector for the blower fan speed switch, then re-installed dash harness into the dash. Everything neatly tucked up and tight.

#5837 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Soldered in replacement harness and connector for the blower fan speed switch, then re-installed dash harness into the dash. Everything neatly tucked up and tight.

Excellent, how's the new switch working?:)

#5838 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Cleaned and painted all of the center console pieces. Flat black was all that I had on hand. I also cut the shifter down a bit and wrapped the boot in a crown royal bag.
image_zps9d6cf160.jpg

#5839 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Excellent, how's the new switch working? :)

No idea, the dash is still hanging on a hook in my workshop  :lol:  Nowhere near to putting the interior back in yet.

Switch should work perfectly, I tested it in all four positions with a DVOM before hacking into the harness.

#5840 jj421

jj421

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Carnation, WA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Got some Rigid Industries D2 LED lights for my front bumper. WOW, these things are BRIGHT. They completely overpower the headlights, meaning I no longer need high beams (just use these). They're really small too, which I love. And LED, so low power consumption and a bright white color. These are the "driving" style, and they light up as far as the high beams do. But they also light up the entire road, to the sides of the road, and up in the trees. For the price of these lights, I could've bought another EA82 wagon, but they're well worth it! The pictures give you and idea as to how bright they are, but still not as bright as in person. They make a huge difference.

P1110691_zps9c9554fb.jpg

P1110690small_zps7e8de7c4.jpg

P1110701small_zpsa2dbf6f5.jpg

Also got a brand new radiator too. Been two years, and I've finally had radiator issues. :rolleyes: But now she runs really cool. So cold that I don't think the thermostat is opening, so I can't burp the heater core. The needle sits at 1/4 of the way up, at the most. Sometimes it's a bit colder. Guess I gotta wait for a warm day so I can properly bleed the system, but that ain't coming soon. Until then, I'm fine without heat. Might take off the clutch fan to bleed it, but this radiator does its job well!

(BTW, oil pressure gauge isn't calibrated correctly, so it reads low)

1779200_10202756512225838_45210784094716

Oh, and I got my Head Trauma Inc. taillight guards in the mail too! Very useful, because if I broke my Finnish taillights, I'm not gonna find replacements easily (or cheaply). So the guards are added insurance so I don't damage 'em. The guards are quite strong and I can imagine they'll hold up nicely in an impact.

10178444_10202698896625484_1567060010_n.

Edited by jj421, 18 April 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#5841 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

In a fit of thoroughness, I pulled the rest of the interior plastic pieces for painting. 

master_192x256_zpsh4fms08b.jpg

Edited by suprjohn, 18 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#5842 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

13905607426_a237460a5d_b.jpg

My fellow XT drivers be hatin'.
Shoutout to Txakura for turning me onto this little gem.
Also, pretty sure the reman axle the PO put in is failing. Time for RWD :D

Twitch

#5843 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

In a fit of thoroughness, I pulled the rest of the interior plastic pieces for painting. 

master_192x256_zpsh4fms08b.jpg

LOL, seems to be a contagious situation!

Are you using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating?

#5844 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yes I am. Not sure I'm impressed with the durability, but it's what I started with. SEM is another product that another forum member used with good results. 

John

#5845 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

I can't comment as to durability once it's all put back together, but preparation is key. I'll assume you know the information I'm about to post, but I'll put it in here for anyone else considering this. In researching this I came across quite a few disaster stories (mostly on ricer forums....), but also noticed a trend of people failing to use the products properly or sometimes to do any prep at all.

The following is what I've been doing, and so far the pieces have survived the fingernail scratching test quite well. Will it stand up to throwing tools, dogs, and/or the occasional drunken midget hookers with multiple body piercings around inside? I don't think so. But, if you are constantly throwing tools, dogs, and/or the occasional drunken midget hookers with multiple body piercings around in your old Subaru, you shouldn't really be worried about what it looks like in there anyhow.

1. Clean each piece well with TSP and Scotchbrite pads. Rinse well with water, and allow to dry.

2. Clean each piece with wax remover/degreaser (I used DC's own) [Use lint free rag, in case product mildly attacks material]. Then clean it again, just to be safe.

-----2b. Wear gloves from here on to avoid getting skin grease on part!

3. Adhesion promoter, two light coats about 2-3 minutes apart.

4. Within 2-5 minutes after last coat of adhesion promoter, start laying down color. Light coats each time and again, 2-3 minutes between.

5. ALLOW PART TO CURE FOR AS MANY DAYS AS YOU CAN.

I've been sticking with a general rule of three light coats for each piece, not including little spots or edges that I find later that could use an extra puff.

By light coat, I'm saying that my first coat is very spotty and definitely doesn't cover completely. Do not be tempted to go heavier at any stage!

The curing part, I did a hard fingernail scratch-test on a piece about 24-36 hours after the final coat and it did not lift the color, though you could faintly see where I

scratched it - but take into consideration, if you scratch any OEM piece of plastic or vinyl, you are going to leave a mark too, so......

We'll see. So far I'm impressed with my results. I'll post pics when the weather gets better here.

#5846 SubaruGL85FTW

SubaruGL85FTW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • El Paso Texas

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Lets see...

plugs (E3), distributor cap, valve cover gaskets, fuel pump and filter, brake pads, coil, fabed up crank case ventalation, waiting for my weber, waiting to put on my rally armor flaps, waiting to put on the glass pack and i still have to find a window and some seats but it runs carb just leaks gas out of every nook and cranny

#5847 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

LEDs have been in for a few but here is a pic:)

Love my green as close to factory but way brighter and greener, thank goodness the dimmer works or they would be too bright this is all the way turned down:)

And who doesn't like a shot of my new master key in action:) have a good weekend guys:)

42C35E5F-92F8-4C1B-A814-7D410B46674B.jpg

5EAFD342-2CFB-4459-B5EC-1CABCAF5D2AE.jpg

#5848 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

LEDs have been in for a few but here is a pic:)
Love my green as close to factory but way brighter and greener, thank goodness the dimmer works or they would be too bright this is all the way turned down:)
And who doesn't like a shot of my new master key in action:) have a good weekend guys:)

Where did you get your green LEDs?
The ones I got don't dim with dimmer.

#5849 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I always go to superbright LEDs, but the LEDs in my 91 Toyota have the same bulb and they don't dim either, so it must be the way the dimmer switch works. Is this in the brat? I wonder if the dimmer is different...

Anyway these are the bulbs I ordered..

http://www.superbrig...wedge-base/206/

#5850 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

I probably didn't follow very good paint prep, though I did wash with TSP. Seems to be pretty good except at sharp edges of corners. I really like the color and finish in general. Really makes the panels look like new. 

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users