Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I needed a new outer brake hose for my rear disc brakes on the GL. Turns out no parts store in Maine had one closer than NJ. I did a bit of searching around for other lines that would work. I finally picked one out for a rear outer brake hose on a 1988 Nissan 200sx. It's a tad longer, but it's gonna work great! Cheaper than the subaru part, too. So if you're ever in a bind to find that hose, just get the nissan part :)

• Like 2

Finally got around to diagnosing my code 34, ended up being a bad solenoid (infinite resistance across the coil) so I did some hunting and found OE Hitachi is still available, and on Amazon no less! $47 for an exact replacement, brand new. Same part numbers and even has the Hitachi and Fuji stamps on them. :banana:

So although my beloved 89 GL is rusted to the grave, I have a lead on a fwd auto wagon that's (apparently) rust free. About 200 miles from here. Friend says it only works in 2nd and 3rd gear, and has a badly blown headgasket... Since I'm gonna toss the entire driveline, I might try to get it home. The driveline in my GL is solid, so I can just swap everything over. Alternately I might drive my GL down there and do a marathon 4wd/5mt swap in his driveway over the weekend .... That could only end well  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Insurance company called yesterday.  Claim was approved for the full amount of $1353.58 in damage.  No fighting, no lowballing, nothing.  Check is in the mail, and they aren't even trying to total loss the vehicle, so I still have a clean title and a big ole check to pay for other repairs :D  I'll fix the dent in the quarter panel myself when I am ready to repaint the car :D

Todays task is alignment and 2 new tires on the rear.  Time to get my Falkens installed finally, with 2 more to come next week after I get moved out and into my new place in Kearney.  After that its time to install the rest of the parts I'm picking up from other members (shift solenoid, EGT sender/sensor, NOS subaru O2 sensor, etc) and on to brake work and a new right front cv axle (I suspect the inner stub is causing problems, it clicks on low speed turns/take off, then stops as I start moving over 5 mph).

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 3

Just took it for a spirited drive on the highway. Aside from an intermittently hanging rear brake, all seems well. Is it normal for an ea82 to sound like a porsche at full throttle after a weber swap? I mean that's where the similarities end, naturally, but that sound...is phenomenal! It's a fantastic sound. It's proving very difficult to keep my foot out of that secondary barrel on the new carb. ;)

• Like 1

P5190803.jpg[/url

Got a new sound in my Loyale Wagon. Added this Pioneer Bluetooth unit which is mech less so its only about 4 inches deep. Has USB and Aux inputs on back so now all my wires are in the glovebox and my phones just used through the stereo. also wired in some 6 1/2 rear door speakers.

I've taken over this little wagon for work and its been awesome aside from using the phone. Now that I'm handsfree, its AWESOMER.

In 3 months Ive owned it I've replaced intake gaskets, water pump, alternator, muffler and tailpipe, clutch cable, tune up items, added 14" pugs, replaced struts/shocks, removed plastic timing covers, reworked rear axle carrier bushings, patched rust, painted, and put 8000 miles of anything from city potholes to forest ATV trails. Aside from some of the wrenching, there's been a pretty big grin on my face. I think the subie smiled some too.

ef63344d-0fe2-44b4-b357-1d5c5a34ffb2.jpg

• Like 1

Almost finished with basic repairs, cleaning up, etc. Unlike most, I do not want to take "before and after" pictures from day 1. First I want to get it to basic acceptable condition, and then from there document what I do, as I really don't care to post about just dirt and grease, but improvements from a normal as possible condition.

That being said, that damnable red dust has really gone too far!

Every time I do anything, move anything, or remove anything, I either find sedimentary sandstone-like compacted-over-time dust, or huge amounts of loose fine red dust!

So if you want pics of dirt, here you are! lol...

In this case, I just wanted to remove a small piece of trim, up overhead, behind where the "BRAT" logo is on the outside.

But NOOOOOoooooo! a half a pound of dust starts falling out like it was filled with it as some practical joke!

This stuff is everywhere, everywhere, every where!! In everything, no matter where it is.

How does so much damnable dust get filled into a small space, high up, fairly well sealed off and very much out-of-the-way ?!?

I dunno, but its a real pain dealing with its various forms through this process!!! lol...

post-53036-0-55591600-1400615237_thumb.jpg

post-53036-0-66577200-1400615270_thumb.jpg

post-53036-0-79367400-1400615297_thumb.jpg

I read about someone bringing back the black in thier bumper and/or other trim with I think steel wool, so I tried Scotch Brite scrubber pads, and although not perfect, this does make a very real difference! But this morning I see another demonstrable difference - on my front bumper the rain shows a big difference between most of the bumper I worked on, and the last corner I left for comparrison....

I will soon get around to getting some of that stuff for bringing back plastic and trim, and making tires black, etc - I know these are sold as different items, but I suspect there is one out there I can use for both - I would appreciate reccomendations for a product that can both make my tires nice and black, and also restore various colors of trim as well if possible....

post-53036-0-26603600-1400615905_thumb.jpg

I have an 85 hatch, in 2/14 I had a 4" lift. If anyone lives close to Eugene I could use some help centering my rear axles with the wheel wells.

In 2013 I added a weber carb, 3" exhaust with a cherrybomb muffler...sounds very good.

In 2012 I put a HURST electronic ignition..got rid of points. I`m running 29.5 X 14 BFG All Terrain  T/A Tires.

Hatch was cut when I bought it...car lot left it uncovered so it got rained on or should I say soaked.

It is still a work in progress.post-53300-0-72907800-1400620506_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have an 85 hatch, in 2/14 I had a 4" lift. If anyone lives close to Eugene I could use some help centering my rear axles with the wheel wells.

In 2013 I added a weber carb, 3" exhaust with a cherrybomb muffler...sounds very good.

In 2012 I put a HURST electronic ignition..got rid of points. I`m running 29.5 X 14 BFG All Terrain  T/A Tires.

Hatch was cut when I bought it...car lot left it uncovered so it got rained on or should I say soaked.

It is still a work in progress.attachicon.gifMy Subaru1.jpg

I can't go to Eugene, but if you have freinds in Medford where I am, I would go for helping you in your project,

I am curious... your ride looks great, but it looks like a Brat, a short-bed-ed Brat at that. Are you saying that they tried to convert a hatchback into a Brat?

If so, there is no pic of what it looks like from the rear, but it looks pretty well done.

I can think of two ways to finish that - either strip the rear of any interior, use truck bed liner, and find some way to keep the rain out of the forward cab, like maybe one of those detachable rag tops jeeps use that attach with snaps - that would not be very expensive or difficult to to. That, or make some kind of shell for it?

I think Brats look better without a shell, and yours even moreso.

That car lot was obviously run by people who don't know thier vehicles, or they would know that cut-away or not, these vehicles are hotly searched for collectors items, and they should have bit the bullet and bought a damned tarp for a couple bucks!  - Shame on them!

- Hey, can you weld? If you can help me with my exhausts, I might spend the money to come up there and help you! lol...

Edited by Subaruist

Didn't do anything today, other than get my parts in the mail that I ordered.  Hoping to install them Thursday morning.

On another note, I'm done ordering parts from forum members... last 2 boxes I've gotten have had damaged items and no insurance :( Proper packaging when shipping is key here people, bubble wrap and a proper box don't really cost much more...

Didn't do anything today, other than get my parts in the mail that I ordered.  Hoping to install them Thursday morning.

On another note, I'm done ordering parts from forum members... last 2 boxes I've gotten have had damaged items and no insurance :( Proper packaging when shipping is key here people, bubble wrap and a proper box don't really cost much more...

Now that's a shame... we are supposed to be fellow Subaru friends here... I would say not to make that decision, but on one hand, I really see your point, and on the other, that means more parts availability for me!!!! lol - of course I might have the same problem if I did so....

• Like 3

Now that's a shame... we are supposed to be fellow Subaru friends here... I would say not to make that decision, but on one hand, I really see your point, and on the other, that means more parts availability for me!!!! lol - of course I might have the same problem if I did so....

The first items I ordered that were damaged I was ok with.  I was able to fix them (albeit counteractive to the reason I ordered them in the first place, seeing as they were in better shape than what I originally had).  This time though, its not possible to fix the damaged item.  Theres no way to straighten out the bend in the brass probe :(  Shame too, since its a NOS part from Subaru thats going to now run me over $100 to get another one.  So now I've got a NOS paperweight...

I guess on a more positive note though, i got my insurance check today.  Just too bad the bank is closed and I can't go until tomorrow to cash/deposit it

Edited by TheWanderer

Got some black truck bed liner and did the bottom half of my wagon in it. Took care of some of the rust, the bed liner should make it strong for offroading, and the two tone looks pretty good in my opinion. At least with red/black.

I've also got two new front axles. So no more clicking/knocking, for now. :rolleyes:

P1110728_zpsacdca73d.jpg

P1110731_zps6b36e6fc.jpg

• Like 2

Got some black truck bed liner and did the bottom half of my wagon in it. Took care of some of the rust, the bed liner should make it strong for offroading, and the two tone looks pretty good in my opinion. At least with red/black.

I've also got two new front axles. So no more clicking/knocking, for now. :rolleyes:

Wow! I like that! How much did it cost you? I wonder if it would work with/if they have it in navy blue....

Wow! I like that! How much did it cost you? I wonder if it would work with/if they have it in navy blue....

The bed liner that I got was just in an aerosol can at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They are $12 per can (I got it for less, since I work there). I picked up two cans. I was able to do two coats with one spray can, and I did a third coat with the second one. Definitely not the best stuff out there, but it was cheap and as easy as spray paint. If ya want navy blue, you'll probably have to spend quite a bit elsewhere, haha.

baa2010_032411.jpg

Edited by jj421

- You're saying that you did the whole bottom half of your Subaru with just three cans?!? That's great!

I know of an equally good use for it possibly...

Those door handles on the inside and other similar plastic parts that are often self-disintegrating. Even though the surface of it is uneven, making it nearly impossible to make a good repair, due to the lost platic, this stuff could coat it well, maybe even with an even surface, unlike what the disitegration leaves!

This might be a very good way to repair disintegrating plastic parts, bumpers, etc!

I love it!

I cannot find any other colors but black and tan in any brand so far - as serious bump in the road for me, but also makes me wonder if I could change my color preferences in some way, lol...  I can find other colors in the roll-on stuff, bu not the aerosol so far...

This is what I'm after! - but how to properly apply it to more than just truck bed - with metallic blue liner "tint":

ST-1107-C10-02.jpg

Edited by Subaruist