Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6589 replies to this topic

#6151 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Can't have too many pics, but i'm gonna try!

http--,,--//

http--,,--//

Oh yeah, I also Plasti-Dip the front and back bumpers.

#6152 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

This:

http://www.ultimates...hotos-for-opus/

#6153 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Slowly creeping towards the finish line. Installed new exhaust studs on Uno's engine. Since it was on the stand, I just flipped it rather than wait until it was in the car and crawl on my back. Finally bolted in the bling too.

112_0128.jpg

112_0133.jpg

After the bling is installed, we do not handle the engine without a clean pair of surgical gloves.

I have come to realize that when you detail every bit, cleaning rust and coating etc, it takes a hell of a lot longer than you planned. 

Edited by MR_Loyale, 28 July 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#6154 l75eya

l75eya

Almost has it all figured out

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

wow, that looks fantastic.

#6155 Subaruist

Subaruist

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

I know this is probably supposed to be for mechanicery and customising, etc, but I just thought that I would post that I finally took my Brat out for some fairly serious off-roading. Being that I will be fixing this one up for street and looking nice, I will probably not be able to do it again, but will have to stick to tamer roads once I start paintingit, etc.

Took a friend out to the mountains for some camping, went exploring, found a dirt road that got real bad with deep hard/dry mud ruts all over, and had to take it slow, but it performed just as casually as I remember they do.

The road we ended up on had clearly been unused in probably years, as there were old dead bushes that had overgrown the road crossing more than half the roads width before they eventuallly died, dried out, and now were grey with age and weather, etc.

We went places nobody in thier right mind would go, as is the true spirit of what Brats do so well.

The body got all scratched up, but not nearly as bad as it sounded as we pushed through all the hard, dry, dead thickets and such.

I will miss doing that, but its more than compensation that I drive one of the coolest vehicles in town even as it is, before I have done much with its look, and for the fun and joy I have driving it around.

#6156 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

At 12:21 am Thursday July 31, 2014 Uno took his first revs.  :banana:

Took a small drive and then put him away for the night.

#6157 Tremmor

Tremmor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Finland

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Welded passenger side rear strut tower in my -96 impreza.  Was kinda pain in the butt till I figured you can actually fit your head in the wheel well and have line of sight to repair area. Live and learn :D

#6158 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Woodie wagon progress: hardwood floor installation, LED lighing. I am saving pics for last as i am not goingo to show unfinished work! This car is quite the opposite of a TrashWagon, but unoficially it is #16 Possible aftermarket audio retaining the factory head unit and appearance. Man, it would be nice to install the spare tire under the hood so i can use the tire well as a 'smuggler's trunk' like the EA82's.

#6159 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Woodie Pics

#6160 angerthis

angerthis

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Bellinghame WA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

On my 1986 Subaru rx
I Just finished sandblasting painting
and 7 coats of clear coat
on my 14 inch plugs
The tire size is 195 70 R14
BFG'S radial TA
You can't tell by the picture there not just black
they also have a green metal flake when in the Sun they glitter
If any of you are going to west coast Subaru show come take a look I'll be there
That's if you can see them when they're covered in mud
LoL

Attached Files

#6161 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Finally got my carb issues dealt with and reinstalled the weber.. Oh man do I love to hear her idle like that.. IT was getting really old having to kick the pedal to bring the RPMs back down.

#6162 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

wood floor

IMG_2080.JPG

#6163 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

wood floor

IMG_2080.JPG

Can you come do my living room floor?

#6164 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

So today I played with frog tape and silicone for my hated sunroof.. We shall see!  or maybe just stay dry when it rains.. I would be ok with that.

#6165 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

Got lots of painting done :ph34r:

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat, 05 August 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#6166 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Got lots of painting done :ph34r:

Twitch

Is it still blue?

Back to topic.

I pulled old fan thermo switch and replaced it.. Fan didn't come on so I unplegged the fan and look at the connection. :banghead:   All this time it was a bent spade connection.. Oh well I have a back up.  Tomorrow maybe I can trace my fuel gauge wiring.. I love progress.

Mike

#6167 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Put radiator, water pump, thermostat, and antifreeze all back in the appropriate spots.

Had to jump it since it was sitting for almost 2 weeks.

Now I just need my replacement crank pulley and I'll be good to go.

#6168 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Got Line-X in the bed...

#6169 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:49 AM

So far over 400 miles on Uno since first start and no issues. Got the hill holder properly adjusted.

#6170 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

Ok, first issue since the Uno build. I was so concentrated on the engine that I neglected the wheels. I was driving 30 around a 25 corner, slightly fast i know, but as I went around the turn my rear wheels rumbled as if they were skipping out because of my speed. Took it home and lifted up each rear wheel and tried moving them to see if there was slack. The driver side had a little so I replaced the bearings. It was not easy finding anyone that had a seal in stock.  I then took off the passenger side bearings and repacked them as the wheel seemed to get a little too warm. Just got back from a 40 mile drive with lots of highway and no heating and no more skipping.

Tomorrow the brakes will be verified and adjusted as needed. Now at 525 since first start.

#6171 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Did some rocker assembly cleaning and lubrication

Also learned that while just because you can remove circlips without the proper pliers, it doesn't mean you should.

But soon, since my rockers and their respective parts are back together and clean, the heads will find themselves back on the engine.

Lets hope the steel core composite permatorque gasket will handle the extra pressure ;)

Progress marches on!

Twitch

#6172 rrgrr

rrgrr

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Bloomington

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Apparently there was still a chunk of something in my cadillac converter >< -it got stuck and blocked up, so now I have a "custom" y  pipe fabbed by the local exhaust artists. It's only a touch louder, we'll see how mileage is affected. Been racking up lots of miles lately. :)

#6173 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

A few more gauges to watch :)

DSC06252_zps910b1311.jpg

oil pressure max 140 psi is overkill though,  where clock came from, tacho to 11.000rpm (only one I could find with black face in 2" )from fuel and temp gauge hole

had to flat black ( flatter than matte) the outer surround, surgically remove the highly reflective plastic 'glass' to get the right look

also had to perform delicate surgery on the PCB at the rear to allow cable plug entry, holes to mount to PCB and a hole to access the change colour of LED lighting. Default colour is green, which goes OK with orange of the dash night glow. Needs to be hooked up to permamnent 12V to retain the memory or the chosen red defaults to the green. I need some tiny solenoids to mount at rear in case I lose power - save removing dash set to reset colours.

Being LED I don't think I will get dimmer function to go with other incandescent globes ?

Tacho replaces the fuel temp combo gauge. Figure that a fuel gauge is not somethng that needs constant watching, so its LED bar gauge will go to one side, and the temp will go digital aquarium reader with alarm.

All the PC tracks I cut through - patch wired up with soldering iron. Most wires from both gauges tap into sources on the back of the PCB being 12V battery for LED memory, 12V ign, 12V lights off dash so should dim if LEDs dim ! earth is on long wire to body..

Edited by jono, 11 August 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#6174 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,409 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Discovered the shake-o-rama in the PandaWagon's driveline. Seized front U-joint in the drive shaft. Currently searching for a replacement. If push comes to shove, I may just have to pick up another used one till I can get the old one overhauled.

#6175 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Got Line-X in the bed...

bratbedlined_zpse594bed2.png

So you had Line X put your liner in.

What did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users