Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6428 replies to this topic

#6176 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

So you had Line X put your liner in.

What did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?

It was going to be (without the tailgate) $450.00 for the standard or $525.00 for the premium that has the UV blocker in it; I paid the $525.00.

This was also after attempts at making Duplicolor Bed Armor work; that stuff is horrible - even with proper preparation. After 5-6 days of letting the small panels cure with the Bed Armor - I was able to score it with my thumbnail - not cool.

I also took a whole weekend sanding out every bit of rust that I could find - surface or deep. Then I did the POR-15 cleaner spray, metal prep spray, then 2-3 coats of POR-15... knowing that the guys at Line-X would sand most of that down. I wanted to be sure every little place that the bed liner didn't reach was sealed by the POR-15; and I also did this to explore/inspect every bit of the bed before the liner went down.

Honestly I was a bit apprehensive spending that much...

• But I saw a friends Rhino Liner and while it was hard and it stuck, it also dulled to a grey.
  • The guys at the shop seemed genuinely interested in the Brat; there was another guy who brought in a new Tacoma and they treated him way different (even though his was going to be more expensive).
  • The guys at the shop answered every question I had before I did the job.
  • I also work at a location where people spend gobs of money for things that wont last nearly as long as the liner... so that made me man up and spend the money.

#6177 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

It was going to be (without the tailgate) $450.00 for the standard or $525.00 for the premium that has the UV blocker in it; I paid the $525.00.

This was also after attempts at making Duplicolor Bed Armor work; that stuff is horrible - even with proper preparation. After 5-6 days of letting the small panels cure with the Bed Armor - I was able to score it with my thumbnail - not cool.

I also took a whole weekend sanding out every bit of rust that I could find - surface or deep. Then I did the POR-15 cleaner spray, metal prep spray, then 2-3 coats of POR-15... knowing that the guys at Line-X would sand most of that down. I wanted to be sure every little place that the bed liner didn't reach was sealed by the POR-15; and I also did this to explore/inspect every bit of the bed before the liner went down.

Honestly I was a bit apprehensive spending that much...

• But I saw a friends Rhino Liner and while it was hard and it stuck, it also dulled to a grey.
  • The guys at the shop seemed genuinely interested in the Brat; there was another guy who brought in a new Tacoma and they treated him way different (even though his was going to be more expensive).
  • The guys at the shop answered every question I had before I did the job.
  • I also work at a location where people spend gobs of money for things that wont last nearly as long as the liner... so that made me man up and spend the money.

Thanks for your input, these are all questions that I have been pondering. I've also been thinking about doing this myself too, thanks to your trials and errors.

#6178 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for your input, these are all questions that I have been pondering. I've also been thinking about doing this myself too, thanks to your trials and errors.

From what I could tell through a few days of searching online; Herculiner seems to have the most "good" comments about a DIY bedliner. The only reason I opted to give the Duplicolor Bed Armor an attempt was I found it on clearance and for sale; was 30 bucks a gallon - otherwise my DIY attempt would have been with the Herculiner and it would have been much more costly.

#6179 AnotherGL10guy

AnotherGL10guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Bellingham, Washington

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

today I started up my GL-10 Turbo after a complete re-build/re-seal... ea82 turbo, minimum shaft play, 8psi boost, STI intercooler top mounted, blue plumbing lines, Exeddy Clutch, 5spd DR swap, 2inch lift, 235-14 cooper AT's, all done at once! runs killer! love this car!

Attached Files

#6180 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Gage and I finishing up a full brake job, all 4 rotors and pads. The rear discs are so much easier to do brakes on than drums!

#6181 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Still working on mine here and there. Got my new driveshaft for the 5spd swap (my wife is gonna have kittens when she sees the bill) ordered new front CVs, as well as new pads and rotors. Once thats all in, it'll be time to add all the fluids and fire it up! It hasnt been driven since february, so im a little excited to feel how well the 5 speed harnesses the 80 raging horsepower

Edited by spazomatic, 12 August 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#6182 dannycisneros

dannycisneros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Mount Vernon Washington

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

All cleaned up.

http--,,--//P7270522_zps3d1af3bf.jpg

http--,,--//P7270517_zps89209285.jpg

Recently replaced:

ball joints

tie rod ends

brakes all 'round

replaced broken Y pipe

alignment and cleaned cleaned cleaned!

I really like this! I like the wheels i wish my GL came with those. 

#6183 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

More on this later....

And then theres this empty spot.....

#6184 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,055 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

0805141944_zps2c0d4f7f.jpg

More on this later....

And then theres this empty spot.....

0810141423a1_zps981bddf5.jpg

paint booth?

#6185 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

#6186 nick1208

nick1208

New User

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Tacoma WA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

fixed up some new mudflaps

AyoC5lx.jpg

#6187 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

This last week i did this:

Replaced the starter in a 96 impreza outback 4eat with one from an 87 gl ea82 5m

Washed my woodie wagon for the 3rd time in the car wash and the contac paper wood survives yet. Aside from that, i helped replace the track in the car wash at the oil change facility i work at.

I re-did parts of my wood grain where the edges were compromised by waxing the car 3 coats. 

I got the 3door out once agian to polish it up for an upcoming show, and am swapping outback wheels onto it so all of them match.

#6188 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Finally finished the bezel for my head unit. Didn't want to travel across the country with it flopping around.

radio.jpg

#6189 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Franklin, WI

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

So you had Line X put your liner in.

What did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?

I had mine done as well and with the Line-X Premium, this version doesn't dull down and resists sun fade, etc, it was $500. I also had them do the jump seats and they turned out awesome! They look brand new and practically look like they can from the factory that way!

Edited by BuckarooBanzai, 15 August 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#6190 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

I had mine done as well and with the Line-X Premium, this version doesn't dull down and resists sun fade, etc, it was $500. I also had them do the jump seats and they turned out awesome! They look brand new and practically look like they can from the factory that way!

Yeah, I am still working on my jump seats. I want to build two frames... one for each chair... that way I can remove one if we are not using it that day. I doubt I will get them lined as the seats I got are in decent shape.

#6191 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Received some new wheels for the Brat.  15x6.5

#6192 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Is that a motorcycle in your dining room?

#6193 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Those will look awesome on a Brat, epix!

#6194 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Those will look awesome on a Brat, epix!

Yes, don't forget to share some Photos here with us!

Kind Regards.

#6195 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

^ X2!! :D

#6196 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

An Epson printer, a Dirtbike, a microbrew, a cat scratching post, and an inexpensive but usable kitchen table.

Epix, you sir have created my perfect dining room.

On topic, I put the heads on my engine tonight and bought a new water pump.

Next comes the "new" intake and oil pump.

Not even going to bother with the factory California spec intake with electronic carb garbage built in.

EA82 intake here I come.

Can a SPFI intake allow a carb to bolt up? Because I figure they got even better flow rates with the gen3 stuff.

And Loyales are easy to come by in the local JY's.

Twitch

#6197 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

An Epson printer, a Dirtbike, a microbrew, a cat scratching post, and an inexpensive but usable kitchen table.

Epix, you sir have created my perfect dining room.

On topic, I put the heads on my engine tonight and bought a new water pump.

Next comes the "new" intake and oil pump.

Not even going to bother with the factory California spec intake with electronic carb garbage built in.

EA82 intake here I come.

Can a SPFI intake allow a carb to bolt up? Because I figure they got even better flow rates with the gen3 stuff.

And Loyales are easy to come by in the local JY's.

Twitch

Sorry for going OT

Lol, nice eye.. yea typically always working on a bike and the garage is a bit cramped right now.. it's nice being a bachelor sometimes.  I do work on some bikes inside doing just body/electrical work.. saving the dirty stuff like fluid changes for garage use.

Here was my "Christmas decoration"

On topic; I'll post the pics in the near future of the wheels on the Brat.  Right now I need to get the clutch replaced :(

#6198 rrgrr

rrgrr

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Bloomington

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

0805141944_zps2c0d4f7f.jpg

What are you up to???

#6199 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob