Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Did  a weber swap a couple of weeks ago, carb & filter from JAM engineering, Chris was really good to deal with and the cost + shipping was very good. Ended up making an adapter like nissan people do using two of the original holes, tapped the two thru studs on manifold out to m8. I thought it turned out really well (After I messed the first one up reading my drawing wrong). Cars running well and fuel economy is on par with the hitatchi.

Picture of adapter plate
http://puu.sh/aXdNd/fb2e33044e.jpg

Also got my nudge bar blasted then painted it and polished it up in places, looks good but still needs some work.

Also trying to machine the face of the alloy rims I got to clean them up, just a pain trying to work out the angles/radius of things.

Guess I can finally post a pic of the finished product and before heading out to WCSS yesterday morning.

08161408521_zps2f3b0266.jpg

call me old fashioned, but not so fussed on the flat black, the gloss black always looked sparkled.

But each to their own, we can't all drive the same thing ;)

Still looks a great car. Everytime I see your car, I'm reminded how much I'd like a 3 door... :(

Honestly, I thought I would like the matte finish more. But I'm beginning to believe that the original gloss was better.

Dipyourcar.com makes a glossifier and a metallizer, I might try one or the other.

And I can always peel the whole thing off if I really dont like it or get tired of it.

• Like 1

Replaced my passenger front wheel bearings friday before last, then had to replace the driver fronts just the next tuesday. Did the bfh mod to the door side of my front inner fenders 5 minutes ago because I'm tired of the tires rubbing, and as soon as I find a good thread I'm gonna either advance/retard my timing so I can run regular octane fuel instead of premium.

Edited by espey_16

Awesome, but where are the Photos;) /quote]

I didnt really take any... Its not like it got new paint, new wheels and tires, or anything to make it look different. It sure does drive better...unfortunately, "scratch and drive" pictures arent technologically feasable. (Yet)

If you ever come up to colorado, i'll be happy to take you for a spin!

• Like 1

32/36. DGEV. 140/140. 2.5 turns out mixture screw. No air leaks. Initial timing set to 10.

Car runs hotter. Dieseling for about 20 seconds. No additional power. Strong gas smell. No gas leaks. I do not know whether or not the fuel could boil over to exacerbate dieseling. Power band is smoother. Slight back fire/popping from carb. Doesn't seem like a lean condition back fire. Up hill floored in second can barely hold 30 mph. Strong exhaust pressure so cats unlikely.

Thank you!

Since I always take photos of all the Repairs and Modification procedures I do,

I always think that everybody does the same ...  :D ...

Kind Regards.

Its something i always remember after the fact. Im pretty A.D.D., so i really try to concentrate on getting it all done right, and applying band-aids to myself. My wife says, "if you arent bleeding, you must not be done yet"

• Like 1

I Understand... Usually I bleed with some of the Repairs I do.

32/36. DGEV. 140/140. 2.5 turns out mixture screw. No air leaks. Initial timing set to 10.

Car runs hotter. Dieseling for about 20 seconds. No additional power. Strong gas smell. No gas leaks. I do not know whether or not the fuel could boil over to exacerbate dieseling. Power band is smoother. Slight back fire/popping from carb. Doesn't seem like a lean condition back fire. Up hill floored in second can barely hold 30 mph. Strong exhaust pressure so cats unlikely.

Move the Timing Forward to 20º and let us Know the Results.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I Understand... Usually I bleed with some of the Repairs I do.

Move the Timing Forward to 20º and let us Know the Results.

Kind Regards.

Increasing the timing has helped a lot in driveability. Low end torque has increased. Dieseling has not decreased. 

I am surprised that these carbs can function while being so hot. If my holleys and edelbrocks ever got this hot the fuel would boil over right quick. 

Increasing the timing has helped a lot in driveability. Low end torque has increased. Dieseling has not decreased. 

I am surprised that these carbs can function while being so hot. If my holleys and edelbrocks ever got this hot the fuel would boil over right quick. 

When I had a Weber on my old EA82, it would diesel some after it was fully warmed up or shutting down after running on the interstate for a while. Most of the time it was during the summer months where the air temps were consistently above 80*.

I ran close to 20* in timing in mine, too.

Mileage was 25-27 when I kept my foot out of it. If I was running WOT all the time, it would drop easily into the low 20s.