Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

So...

No interest whatsoever in my post about BRAT  decals?

I am going to be putting a lot of work and time into this, not to mention putting my own dollars into the first ones.  If I can get some useful input, and I use the font or idea that someone provides other than my own, I would be happy to send them such decal(s) at my cost.

I have an MS Word 2000 document that has a list of samples of fonts that could be used for the BRAT decal, and would welcome any fonts that you guys think would be better, and could add to the document - if  someone can tell me how I can somehow post it.

I will likely be doing one version as a copy of the original, but I also want to do something a little different.

So far, from the little homework I have done, I am guessing that a really good BRAT decal - that is a good quality "Car safe", Metallic and/or reflective would cost me between $75 and $125.  For selling such, I would likely add shipping and maybe only $20 for my efforts and time, etc.

I think my Brat is definitely worth it, isn't yours?

Gimme some input guys....

Thanks

Edited by Subaruist

So...

No interest whatsoever in my post about BRAT  decals?

I am going to be putting a lot of work and time into this, not to mention putting my own dollars into the first ones.  If I can get some useful input, and I use the font or idea that someone provides other than my own, I would be happy to send them such decal(s) at my cost.

I have an MS Word 2000 document that has a list of samples of fonts that could be used for the BRAT decal, and would welcome any fonts that you guys think would be better, and could add to the document - if  someone can tell me how I can somehow post it.

I will likely be doing one version as a copy of the original, but I also want to do something a little different.

So far, from the little homework I have done, I am guessing that a really good BRAT decal - that is a good quality "Car safe", Metallic and/or reflective would cost me between $75 and $125.  For selling such, I would likely add shipping and maybe only $20 for my efforts and time, etc.

I think my Brat is definitely worth it, isn't yours?

Gimme some input guys....

Thanks

USMB user Pooparu makes and sells very nice decals on eBay already. Why recreate the wheel? I haven't purchased a set, but I've only heard good things.

No offense intended to Mr. Pooparu, who is obviously pleasing people, but you guys have not seen what I am planning.

I am going to be doing my own over-the-top custom design.

I doubt I would be any real competition for Mr. Pooparu, as mine would probably and necessarily cost much more.

I'm only asking two thngs here...

#1: Is there a way to post an MS Word document, as opposed to posting a dozen or more pictures of fonts?

#2: I will then be asking for opinions on the fonts I am looking at, and asking if anyone has fonts they think would be better.

Surely there is no harm in this? I would say that there is no harm in a little competition, but what Mr. Pooparu is offering is very reasonably priced, and what I would be offering would likely be really cool, but pretty expensive.

I'm gonna be making at least one kind for myself anyway, so I would like the input and opinion in any case.

- So does anyone have a really cool font that would be perfect for a new kind of BRAT decal ???

...Is there a way to post an MS Word document, as opposed to posting a dozen or more pictures of fonts?

Yes, I post Links to files on my "BumbleBeast" thread whose link is on my signature.

But first you need to upload the File that you want to share, to a web Server.

I use the free services of "MediaFire" with great results, since years ago.

In example, you can download this file, 

by clicking, ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

As I write, my Brat is finally at the mechanic's, whith a whole day dedcated to fixing it up. I have also dedicated several hundred dollars to making this happen. I feel comfortable and confident with the local mechanic, He is primarily a Subary mechanic, and I have seen more older Subarus at his place getting serviced then I have seen on the street. He gave me reasonable prices. I am not even nervous about this or the money I am spending on it.  I am only apprehensive in hoping that things work out as planned, and that it will be done by the end of the day. I feel the same as if a family pet were at the Veteranarians' office.

EDIT / UPDATE:

Got a call from the mechanic once he got into the clutch job...

He says we opened up a real can of worms here...  :blink:  ( Uh oh... )

He gives me a list of everything that is horribly wrong - basically EVERYTHING :(    ( UH OH )

Everything inside the clutch compartment is a complete disaster  :unsure:  ( OH NO !!! )

He will even have to re-machine the flywheel  :huh:  ( OH CRAP !!! )

He doesn't know how it has held together at all in this condition :o ( OH $#%@ !!! )

The extra parts needed are hard to find  :(  ( Snif.... )

He's going to have to keep it until at least monday or tuesday to finish it now :o( OH GOD !!! )

- But its only going to cost me about another $25  :D ( I'M SO HAPPY !!! )

I LOVE OLD SUBARUS !!! :D

Edited by Subaruist
  • Like 2

Yes, I post Links to files on my "BumbleBeast" thread whose link is on my signature.

But first you need to upload the File that you want to share, to a web Server.

I use the free services of "MediaFire" with great results, since years ago.

In example, you can download this file, 

by clicking, ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

You are ever so full of answers,you should have the member's title "Guru" or something, lol...

• Like 2

You are ever so full of answers,you should have the member's title "Guru" or something, lol...

Thank You!

As I write, my Brat is finally at the mechanic's, whith a whole day dedcated to fixing it up. ...

Why don't you ask him if he let you stay along the repairs, so you can Learn something + help him? ... I don't know if you could be allowed to do that in USA, but I learned to fix cars at very young age, because since I was a child, I were helping & learning at the repair shop, with my Dad and then alone with the mechanics... suddenly I was one of them... 

Kind Regards.

Thank You!

Why don't you ask him if he let you stay along the repairs, so you can Learn something + help him? ... I don't know if you could be allowed to do that in USA, but I learned to fix cars at very young age, because since I was a child, I were helping & learning at the repair shop, with my Dad and then alone with the mechanics... suddenly I was one of them... 

Kind Regards.

Oh, I would love to...

Aside from the issue that many garages donot like customers in the work area due to damnable liability concerns, which this mechanic may or may not have, I doubt he would want me 'helping' him, and I would not want to distract him, as I probably would with one odd question after another. I am leaving it to his care and letting him do his thing.I am giving him my trust that he is a Subaru man and knows better than most mechanics what and how to do.

I did ask him about the issue of turning my back rims around to face outward, for the Mag Wheel look.

As I suspected, it does not do serious immediate harm. It will shorten the life of my rear bearings, and would likely take a couple years to start becoming a problem. At some pointI may want to change out those bearings anyway, as it is an older vehicle.

I alsowonder that if it were an off-roader,and I put lift kits in, larger rims, and big mudder tires on it, that too would change and likely increase torque and wear, etc. on those bearings. IfI keep a light load in the back and this is going to be driven on the street and not off-roaded, then it will not be aproblem any time in the near future I think.

As I write, my Brat is finally at the mechanic's, whith a whole day dedcated to fixing it up. I have also dedicated several hundred dollars to making this happen. I feel comfortable and confident with the local mechanic, He is primarily a Subary mechanic, and I have seen more older Subarus at his place getting serviced then I have seen on the street. He gave me reasonable prices. I am not even nervous about this or the money I am spending on it.  I am only apprehensive in hoping that things work out as planned, and that it will be done by the end of the day. I feel the same as if a family pet were at the Veteranarians' office.

EDIT / UPDATE:

Got a call from the mechanic once he got into the clutch job...

He says we opened up a real can of worms here...  :blink:  ( Uh oh... )

He gives me a list of everything that is horribly wrong - basically EVERYTHING :(    ( UH OH )

Everything inside the clutch compartment is a complete disaster  :unsure:  ( OH NO !!! )

He will even have to re-machine the flywheel  :huh:  ( OH CRAP !!! )

He doesn't know how it has held together at all in this condition :o ( OH $#%@ !!! )

The extra parts needed are hard to find  :(  ( Snif.... )

He's going to have to keep it until at least monday or tuesday to finish it now :o( OH GOD !!! )

- But its only going to cost me about another $25  :D ( I'M SO HAPPY !!! )

I LOVE OLD SUBARUS !!! :D

He has to list out every spring and bearing he has to shell money out for and when you look at the list it seems quite long. However if he is machining the flywheel, that tells me he is doing a thorough job to ensure a long life to the repair.  Probably a new pressure plate, throwout bearing (also called the clutch release bearing) and probably a pilot bearing too. Am I right?

Only an extra $25 is peanuts.

He has to list out every spring and bearing he has to shell money out for and when you look at the list it seems quite long. However if he is machining the flywheel, that tells me he is doing a thorough job to ensure a long life to the repair.  Probably a new pressure plate, throwout bearing (also called the clutch release bearing) and probably a pilot bearing too. Am I right?

Only an extra $25 is peanuts.

Yes, Like I said, I think everything,including that lever thing was bad. - and yes, $25 IS peanuts, and makes me very happy !

On top of it all, it is an endorsement that he seems to be avery honest mechanic if he is only upping the price $25.

He will get more of my business for sure.

I have ordered a pair of long Harley mufflers for the replacement motorcycle exhaust sidepipes project, and just ordered just the right kind of 'X' pipe for the dual exhaust tubing under the vehicle. I have to confirm what the original OEM exhaust tubing diameter is coming out of the engine. I found this on the internet:

"The exhaust system is next. Use 1.75 inch pipe instead of the stock 1.25 inch, (???)
which is half the cross section. This is important and accounts for
about 10 HP. Run each side back to the exit and couple them together
with a cross-over as close as possible to the oil pan to form an ‘H'
pattern. This gives two ways out for each pulse and also reduces exhaust
noise by a big amount."

Is this an error? are the tubes comingout of the engine really only 1.25" diameter ???

If I were able to have the exhaust pipe replaced right up to the headers, I would consider putting a plate using 4 bolts rather than the usual 2 bolts, tapping those two potential mounting spots/holes/whatever on those square flanges that attach to the head - I am assuming this right now fromother Subarus I have hadm as my beloved Brat is stil ln the shop until at least tomorrow right now and unavailable for me to take a quick look under there.

I am also seriously considering adding a pair of 12" "Universal Shorty" motorcycle mufflers onto/before the harley mufflers, both to compensate for apossibly loud exhaust, being my engine is not a 1350cc harley but an 1800cc, and also to make these sidepipes long enough for the end/outlet to make it past the end of the door, ideally.

and... if needed, I also still have a pair of 18" glasspacks I still have frommy original want fora simpledual exhaust, that couldbe welded right onto the ends of the X pipe going out to the side ofthe vehicle, which would either solve or over-kill the possible loudness problem,but would also take away at least another 2" from my clearance.

This is going to be a street rod, but I still like to keep the clearance, this must, in the end, still be the wondrous Subaru BRAT !

Rebuilt the weber on the Brat. Still having power issues, can't seem to get above 60 or so. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Have you checked the ignition timing at the Distributor?

It worth playing a little with it in the Trial & Error mode.

I advanced the timing on my "BumbleBeast" from the stock 8º for carbureted models,

Up to 20º like in the EFi models, and has been working awesome like that.

Kind Regards.

I made a bumper out of 11ga 1.5" tubing last night.  Its welded to the lower radiator core support and the frame rails, damned sturdy!

IMG_20141220_221957.jpg

I used a 2"x4" piece of 1/8" on the center mounts and the outer mounts are 11ga rectangle tubing bolted then welded where the stock bumper mounted.

IMG_20141221_125714_993.jpg

Edited by Carl B.
  • Like 3