Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I like pictures.

2" front lift done yesterday. it cost me only like $5 for the hardware :banana:

CIMG7091.JPG

CIMG7092.JPG

lights on the bumper to see the sides of the road better. and the mesh grill. OH and finally license plates on it so its legal, even though I'm ordering my personalized ham radio ones tomorrow hopefully.

CIMG7094.JPG

switch panel for offroad lights, etc. more to be added later.

CIMG7095.JPG

Where did you get that hardware for the lift  :brow:

Made another attempt at removing this axle from this diff... Man, that is stuck. My Dynahoe 190 is not a small backhoe.

This is a spare. I'm not sure what else to try, or just give up on it.

Apply said tension, apply penetrating oil, heat it with a torch, then find a brave (stupid) soul to whack it with a BFH (Big F-ing Hammer).

Just make sure they don't crack the cup.

Twitch

Made another attempt at removing this axle from this diff...  Man, that is stuck.  My Dynahoe 190 is not a small backhoe. 

This is a spare.  I'm not sure what else to try, or just give up on it.

This frightens me.

And for what I've done, well, I'm glad you asked, thread!

Today I changed the old oil that had a little bit of ...some type of cleaning agent added to it awhile ago. So long ago I forgot what it was, but it's been in there long enough that my oil had become a very nice shade of JET BLACK, so it was time to drain that all out. Mobil 1 10/40 and Mobil 1 oil filter, happy camper.

Topped off coolant, topped off power steering, again. Leaking faster I think.

Topped off gear oil.

Brake fluid.

Sprayed my squeaky U-Joint with some white lithium grease because I'm too lazy and cold to climb under there and slather real grease on it. Quieted it for now.

Played with the Subaru XT Fog light wiring in my GL for a bit. Starting to sort that out. Hoping to finish that tomorrow and get the lights mounted finally.

Snow tires have great grip in the dry and wet. Can feel how much softer the rubber is compared to all seasons, car rides much smoother on the highway despite the metal studs. They are loud though. And I'm probably wearing the studs out quickly running them on dry pavement, but I don't care for the studs so much, just the deep tread. They'll stay on there until March or so, then i have to get a set of all seasons.

• Like 2

I decided that my rear cargo area access fromthe cab through a small hatch out-ranked the 2ndary fuel tank I bought fromthe scrap yard. So I took it back to sell for scrap, as well as get some aluminum for the rear bed/deck project. I will find or figure out a 2ndary fuel tank that fits the area I want it to be in, rather than letting my lust for that tank take over the other aims of projects.

To my surprise, the man running the yard actually gave me a full refund, which balanced against the aluminum I bought left him owing me $1, lol.

Still waiting for the first opportunity to sandblast and paint my rims.

Despite my efforts to learn where everything is to buy when I am able to to a project, it seems what I need suddenly becomes unavailable yet again. First it was my beloved Flourescent Blue, now nearly extinct.

Now it is the Krylon X Metals spray paint. (Blue, in fact). The man at Fred Meyer said the stuff was very popular, now when I am ready for it, gone! I hate that ! - Can't depend on anyone consistently carrying anything anymore.

So now I have to spend hours trying to find somewhere, for some reasonable price a paint that will probably not be anywhere next year if I need t to fix a big scratch, etc.?

And what happens 2 months after I buy the next best paint - maybe it gets discontinued too ?

This frightens me.

And for what I've done, well, I'm glad you asked, thread!

Today I changed the old oil that had a little bit of ...some type of cleaning agent added to it awhile ago. So long ago I forgot what it was, but it's been in there long enough that my oil had become a very nice shade of JET BLACK, so it was time to drain that all out. Mobil 1 10/40 and Mobil 1 oil filter, happy camper.

Topped off coolant, topped off power steering, again. Leaking faster I think.

Topped off gear oil.

Brake fluid.

Sprayed my squeaky U-Joint with some white lithium grease because I'm too lazy and cold to climb under there and slather real grease on it. Quieted it for now.

Played with the Subaru XT Fog light wiring in my GL for a bit. Starting to sort that out. Hoping to finish that tomorrow and get the lights mounted finally.

Snow tires have great grip in the dry and wet. Can feel how much softer the rubber is compared to all seasons, car rides much smoother on the highway despite the metal studs. They are loud though. And I'm probably wearing the studs out quickly running them on dry pavement, but I don't care for the studs so much, just the deep tread. They'll stay on there until March or so, then i have to get a set of all seasons.

Yeah my snow tires too have studs and it always sounds like you are on gravel. But they grip very well. Tires are the most basic and important thing you have one your car that affects the ride.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

Disassembled the combination meter from my 1993 4WD wagon and swapped parts around with spares to add the volt meter and oil pressure gauge, while keeping the original odometer.  Since the engine had both the oil pressure switch and the sender, I just had to move the YB wire to the pressure sender, and pop the YB wire out of the connector that went to the oil fail light.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm boned. Figured this would happen so I was real careful, used heat and penetrating oil. Needed to replace my T-stat in the '84 wagon. Looks like it had been done before so I was hopeful the bolts would come out fairly easily. I was wrong on the easily part. Snapped one bolt. Still have a little nubbin sticking out I can grab on to. Keeping positive on this, I'm hoping with lotsa pen oil, heat, patience, and time, I can work the bugger out. Realistically, I think I'm gonna end up having to drill and tap.

Looks like the T- stat was replaced at some point with a non-dealer one. While it fit, it seems small with a lot of room for movement. Meaning I could spin it around. The new dealer T-stat fits snugly with no room to spin. Hope they gave me the right one. We'll see.

Well, I'm boned. Figured this would happen so I was real careful, used heat and penetrating oil. Needed to replace my T-stat in the '84 wagon. Looks like it had been done before so I was hopeful the bolts would come out fairly easily. I was wrong on the easily part. Snapped one bolt. Still have a little nubbin sticking out I can grab on to. Keeping positive on this, I'm hoping with lotsa pen oil, heat, patience, and time, I can work the bugger out. Realistically, I think I'm gonna end up having to drill and tap.

Looks like the T- stat was replaced at some point with a non-dealer one. While it fit, it seems small with a lot of room for movement. Meaning I could spin it around. The new dealer T-stat fits snugly with no room to spin. Hope they gave me the right one. We'll see.

Don't be too surprised if you have to get a new intake.

The bolt in mine was so hard it dulled brand new carbide bits (albeit harbor freight)

Twitch

That problem will probably go away once you get some meatier tires.

It should. I put those hubs on with my tires. I need to get some more lug nuts since i have mismatched ones on there now. The tires im running right now are just rollers. They have barely any tread left. Which is why i only take them down the road and back for test runs.

bought and drove home, blasted out dirt collection, fluids, greased, fixed windshield wipers, tightened loose coil leads, replaced missing headlight mounting screws, dialed back timing to stop pinging, replaced non functioning blower with one out of an 86 yota pickup ~ direct fit ~, replaced autolite spark plugs with basic copper ngks for $10 even though autozone tried to sell me some fancy autolite junk for like $7 apiece

• Like 2

that yota unit sat in my shed for years, I had no idea I'd actually use it for anything one day ~ I had taken it out of a truck I had years ago to see why the heater wasn't working ~ mice had built a nest right in the fan! because it was summer, I never bothered to put the motor back, and ended up crashing that truck within a few weeks of removing the blower ~ the mice actually did me a big favor by giving me a reason to put the motor aside even though I had cursed them at the time...

probably every japanese of this era car has one of these:

heat_zps45819194.jpg

EDIT: this image is much larger than it appears here, download for full resolution

Edited by funk
  • Like 3