Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

This last week has been big for the silver slayer... 87 gl sedan with a weber and 2 inch lift. 

Finally did the engine drop so I would stop ruining axles as fast.

Installed new front axles

New crank seal and cam seals

New plugs, cap and rotor

Got the big tires on and did the 6 lug conversion

Yesterday I got to be a roadside mechanic when the crank pulley bolt backed out and I had to fix it on the side of the freeway

Next is getting he steel and welding up a rear bumper.  I want to have a 2 inch receiver in the rear bumper so I can haul around my little garbage trailer, moto trailer and I want to be able to use my hitch bike rack. 

As I was getting the 30' ladder out of the garage so I could continue slapping paint on the house, I noticed the Left-Front tire was soft on the '88 Wagon.

About 2 hours later, Wife decrees that I need to go to the store. So I decided to take Wagon. Been a bit since it has seen road time. Aired up soft tire(s).

Get close to the store, and see a "Donation" type car-wash going on.

Hit the store, for needed items, then hit the car wash.

I'm "NOT" a "Dirty Old Man", but there is something about having a bunch of scantly clad young females washing your car that intrigues me. :) :)

• Like 1

the door pulls on the front doors, particularly the driver's side, were getting severely wrinkled and the vinyl w'ever covering was splitting and getting pokey.

I found some velcro drink 'cozys' that you wrap around a bottle or can on sale for $1 - , they aren't a good color match, but they hide the problem. - so far the wife considers them a good solution (whew!)

• Like 2

Replaced right side CV axel in Brat, also replaced steering gear boot on same side. Never did quite get the inner side of the gear boot to where it should have been????.

I must do it a little different every time, this time I had a huge PITA getting a couple of bolts in and getting the tie rod off the attachment.

Edited by Dinky26

As I was getting the 30' ladder out of the garage so I could continue slapping paint on the house, I noticed the Left-Front tire was soft on the '88 Wagon.

About 2 hours later, Wife decrees that I need to go to the store. So I decided to take Wagon. Been a bit since it has seen road time. Aired up soft tire(s).

Get close to the store, and see a "Donation" type car-wash going on.

Hit the store, for needed items, then hit the car wash.

I'm "NOT" a "Dirty Old Man", but there is something about having a bunch of scantly clad young females washing your car that intrigues me. :) :)

Just a man with a dirty old car.

• Like 4

Got new wipers and hubcaps yesterday... And took the first of many trips to Charlotte. Also managed to hit 250k miles in the way down...

That dash needs Jezeks LED treatment makes a huge improvement and thanks to Jezek he has done all the hard work working out what LED's work best.

here is the thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/69467-ea82-dashboard-backlights-upgrade-to-hid-white-led%C2%B4s/

Edited by coxy
  • Like 1

Totalled it. Going 55-60 down dirt road hit a puddle, spun, ditch. Airbags went off, frame is bent right in front of the engine subframe. So now I'm taking apart the front end, snorkel, weld the rear and maybe center diff, and gonna go beat the piss out of it at the trails. Sad day, but she's not done. 

0712151805_zpstksklyqt.jpg?1436818683476Front end

0712151800_zps4kdcfjsn.jpg?1436818683476

You can see the frame bend there. 

Blew a head gasket Saturday night on my way back from my aunt's funeral. What makes it bad was that I just got the oil changed last Monday and it didn't have any oil on the dipstick... And it started to overheat, I immediately pulled over, and it's not looking good at all... I had her fluids topped off when I serviced her too.

Bought it.

00nn2WY.jpg

I bought a '91 Subaru Brumby (Australia) the other weekend, just needs a little tlc.

The left hazard light wasn't working, but I was able to fix it by taking apart the steering column and giving it a thorough clean with electronics cleaner.

Got a replacement rear tailight from a local parts wrecker as my right one had a crack and would not pass a registration check, so I installed that.

Ordered some gear shifter bushings to hopefully fix the slop in it.

Going to get some material and make a replacement boot for the gear shifter as well as the original has rips in it.

Had a slight coolant 'leak' where coolant would drip out of the overflow tube constantly when driving it. I bought a replacement radiator cap and it seems to have fixed that.

Need to fix the interior dome light as well, and do a tune up. It's my first 'project' car and I'm taking the time to learn how to do the maintenance myself. Really enjoying it so far.

Edited by dbfuru
  • Like 3

Can't believe they made that car in to the 90s lol

The Brat / Brumby \ MV was sold in the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) up 'til 1994.

I believe the same happened in Australia, the Third gen Brat was planned to be sold after that, Only few "Subaru Suiren" Prototypes were built, and the project was cancelled... Photos of such prototype at the Legendary "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread.

Kind Regards.

Gave my engine instant +10 hp ! :)

Nah. Just kidding. Cleaned the intake manifold and throttle body and gave them fresh coat of paint. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzlyrqv6ghs1q51/2015-07-16%2019.42.50.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnu2wnx7v5oyopl/2015-07-16%2019.28.28.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9tagmcwth9nxzt/2015-07-16%2019.45.07.jpg?dl=0

ps: Now wondering how should I paint the heads, cam towers and valve covers that it won't look too messy with black engine block

EDIT: Oh btw that intake manifold doesn't have egr port opened at all. There's the flange for it and even the tube that goes alongside the intake tubing, but it seems the ports for the egr to work has never been openedNot even the inside of the intake manifold is open. I can post some pics of that if someone is intrested. Is this common thing in these and what version might it be from if someone has info about them ?

Edited by -tombba-

I'm guessing the emissions regulations in Europe meant that EGR wasn't required. But it's probably cheaper for Subaru to just assemble the engine as normal due to the production line.

Those of us who don't need to worry about passing emissions checks will probably continue to stick a piece of metal across the hole with a 2nd gasket :P

... intake manifold doesn't have egr port opened at all. There's the flange for it and even the tube that goes alongside the intake tubing, but it seems the ports for the egr to work has never been opened Not even the inside of the intake manifold is open...

Also, the third Gen EA82 Heads doesn't have the EGR passage opened.

In fact, Subaru discovered that the EGR design on the EA82 is pretty Unhealthy for the Engine, because it not only didn't make the desired results, but also it was somehow harmful for one cylinder, so, they avoided using the EGR in every part of the world where it was not required.

The Blue intake looks Good, why not continue using that same Blue on the Valve's covers?

Kind Regards.