Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Chalk on the Hood? ... Could I Ask you Why?

The entire car is done in black matte chalkboard paint. It gets covered with graffiti daily, washed away when the rain comes. Austin is a fairly creative city, lots of art cars here.

Nov-2005_front.jpg

Nov-2005_right.jpg

Nov-2005_rear.jpg

Edited by sprale
  • Like 1

I love the chalk would definatly lead to comments. -at least then if you got sick of the paint job you could just get out the hose and then recreate something. I think my boys would have a blast with that. we did a similar thing with cans of spray paint when I was growing up (our own cars only) . bummer was you went to border crossings (BC canada ) and with the spray paint we were often detained. At least with the chalk you could hose her off before you got to international crossings and avoid the prolonged searching. Hubby would definatly not stand for it though he likes his cars with a standard paint job. :grin::)

All on my '82 Brat:

1. Got my new aftermarket fuel guage installed for the fuel cell. used a 2 guage A-pillar pod, with the other spot occupied by an A/F Meter (not hooked up yet).

2. Cut bed mat to go around fuel cell.

3. Welded some bolts into the jump seat frame, and drilled new holes in floor and attached frame. it's only 1.5" ahead of the stock location....

4. Some touch up painting. jump seat frame, and rusty rockers.

5. Fuel filter added in rear... I forgot it when I initially got everthing hooked up to the new fuel cell.

6. moved rearward mount for my highlift jack down a bit, so it cleared my new rollbar.

Weeeeeell, I got done putting a 5sp in Xandra (the lego) around the middle of

August, put some extra outlets in her, added some extra "mood" lights and a light up shifter! :banana:

I've been chasing an electrical problem in the BRAT, got a new harness for

it (thank you monstaru) got a 4sp d/r to put in it temporarily (thanks again

monstaru) so I can have first gear back and have no shifter slop! :banana:

Ummm, gonna be tearing into the BRAT tomorrow, to put the tranny in, should

be done in a few days, maybe less depending on how nicely it plays.

NOt much other than that currently...

Twitch

PS: Bill, HOW COULD YOU!?!?

RUsty is no Decepticon.

Ok maybe he is, and he does look mean with those mods...

Fine, he looks awesome and I'm glad you've got him. :-p

The entire car is done in black matte chalkboard paint. It gets covered with graffiti daily, washed away when the rain comes. Austin is a fairly creative city, lots of art cars here.

Nov-2005_right.jpg

Oh! ... I Didn`t Imagine That! :) Very Cool Idea and the Car Looks Good!

Thank you for your Kind Answer.

Almost done fitting: ...

Good Job! ... Very Well Done!!!

More stuff on my '82 Brat...

Got my light bars mounted today. one facing forward on the roll cage, and one facing rearward attached at the headrests mounts...

ran a line of black rtv along the top of my windshield gasket. looks like that took care of my leak for now.

got some rubber flaps mounted in where my front wheelwells are cut out for clearance, they will help keep the engine bay a little cleaner, and still flex at full stuff....

new wiper blades, and have my washer fluid bottle and pump curing for a day with some sealant to stop the leak from the hardened rubber grommet...

cleaned off the axles, and hit 'em with some silver rust-oleum... wanted to go black with the axles, but sine I did all the brackets in silver, and silver was all I had left for paint... they are now silver....

got my rear wall cargo organizer installed, and my "recovery box" mounted in the jump seat frame....

aimed my headlights and centerlamp too... since the build, they've been pretty much useless....

finished the installation of my power steering cooler.

dropped the air pressure in the tires to 24 lbs for now... they were sitting at 32 still from when they were mounted...

This Saturday, Took the Exhaust off of the new parts car, (Had a Very good Y pipe, but was broke beyond,) Took off my very leaky y pipe and exhaust setup and put on the Y pipe, Then had the local muffler shop weld up an Old magna-Flow muffler I allready had, (was last on a 5.7L) the muffler Shop did an excellent job, Got the muffler mounted up inside the stock area and got it real close to the drive shaft so I should'nt knock it off during offroading. (He was very good!!!)

And the Car Sounds awsome, Especially during hard acceleration. No more Lawnmower Sound from the Leaking Y Pipe, Also seams to run with a load much smoother. I didnt realize how much the y pipe was leaking and how much it affects the engine, One of the plates that bolts to the head could just spin in place!!!!!!!

-Daniel

Well Saturday I replaced the header/cat pipe section with a genuine replacement. The old one kept cracking in diffrent places and I figure I better fix it before winter. SUBARU really added alot of heatsheilds to their new pipes, this one (Just like the genuine mid-pipe) is coverd in heatsheilds all ther way down and surround the entire pipe/cat.

Costs for genine:

$315 for new pipe section

$15 for 4 new studs.

$10 for 4 new nuts.

$6 for 2 new gaskets

$0 for new dounut (I had one around) :)

$346.86 Total.

plus $50.96 for a CarQuest O2 sensor.

Cost of installing beautifuly in 2 hours, Priceless.. Lol

-Tom

I didnt get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted to. I wanted to do the heater core in my '80 Brat, as well as install a CD player. But that didnt happen because I need foam for all the heater doors in the unit... So then I decided to work on this

09-20-09_1758.jpg

When I got it it would not move under its own power, both the front and rear driver side hubs were stripped out. So I replaced those hubs and now it drives :banana: It runs like crap ATM though, massive exhaust leak, disconnected lines/hoses everywhere, etc... I wanted to fix the exhaust leak at the least but had to go to work to fix a harvester.... At least I got it to move on its own though. Eventually I will fix the exhaust and put one of my Weber carbs on it, maybe clean it up a little (wont matter much, it has almost as much rust as Rusty) and replace the bumper and broken corner light.

-Bill

I like the color Bill, are those mirrors diffrent the ones on a Loyale? Look diffrent (Maybe its the angle)

Its 4WD?

-Tom

It is D/R 4wd, 5 speed, the mirrors are just like the ones on Jeszek's Loyale, I guess they were some kind of option? They are still power mirrors, but they are different from the ones on the other GLs and DLs that I have... The color is close to the original color, but it has been repainted once...

-Bill

It is D/R 4wd, 5 speed, the mirrors are just like the ones on Jeszek's Loyale, I guess they were some kind of option? They are still power mirrors, but they are different from the ones on the other GLs and DLs that I have... The color is close to the original color, but it has been repainted once...

-Bill

Ooo me likie!

I knew I've seen those somewhere else, hmm. don't understand why SOA would offer another style thats not all that diffrent..? Do you have any other '85s? maybe it was an '85 thing, dunno.

I think thats the first time I've seen the color before, I know of the other color thats like that, which is a more dull/dim sandy/tanish yellow gold lol.

Hope you get'er ideling good, you have a Harvester? pics? post one in the "Show off" thread :)

-Tom

Ooo me likie!

I knew I've seen those somewhere else, hmm. don't understand why SOA would offer another style thats not all that diffrent..? Do you have any other '85s? maybe it was an '85 thing, dunno.

I think thats the first time I've seen the color before, I know of the other color thats like that, which is a more dull/dim sandy/tanish yellow gold lol.

Hope you get'er ideling good, you have a Harvester? pics? post one in the "Show off" thread :)

-Tom

I actually have 2 other 85's, and the mirrors are the same as all the other GLs I have... I think theses were just a random option, or maybe a "sport" option or something of the like... As for the harvester, I dont have any good pics ATM, but its a hop harvester and is pretty much only used in the NW, the Europeans pick hops with a different method... Ill try to get some pics up after work tomorrow...

-Bill