Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

6 lug swap with the high quality work from BOSS (6-lug-swap mod service in Vendor section)... highly recommend it!

Thanks Bill! :)

Here's a pic of my new setup. Need to do a little bfh work and trimming as it rubs quit a bit... but these are 235/75 R15s (roughly 28") on toyota rims and stock height (cranked up). Picked up rims w/ tires locally for $10 each :banana:

I'll probably throw on 215s or 205s... not sure yet.

I think a lift is next... :grin:

post-28576-136027640568_thumb.jpg

Got replacement bolts for the Yakima rack, and charged up my self jumpstarter and refilled the back windshield washer reservoir.

I may just cut it out and re weld it... definitely will start with the front fenders and work my way back. Also the A/C doesn't blow cold air so would it better to replace the A/C or just take it to a shop to be refilled?

Got $3,000 in goodies not including the bumpers roof rack and tail light guards that are coming this month from HTI

im sure there's more

oh yeah! well, i got a AM FM radio with one speaker! :lol:

************ man, that stuff costs twice as much as my whole damn car!

Swapped hubs on Xandra's drivers side, rear.

No more bearing rumble while driving down the road! :banana:

I was actually able hear the person next to me while driving.

Had to swap the studs between the hubs because the other ones were

stretched and some of them were snapped off :eek:

My dad showed me a good way to get my studs to sink into the hub.

A nice thick nut with built in washer, a well greased stud and a lugnut, and I

got my studs to sink into the hub without issue :)

Twitch

Prepared the front struts and found all the missing hardware for the 5 lug swap. Took the front hubs to the machinist to have them looked at and the bearings replaced. Found both hubs were out of spec and would cause pre-mature failure of the bearings. :eek: Found bearings, ordered 2 new hubs, got one in today, and ran all over town looking for the proper seals. I got one hub assembly back, still waiting on the other. Cleaned one brake caliper I think I may have a sticking caliper assembly...gonna look into that tomorrow.

Assisted with bleeding the brakes on my brother's XT6.

Non subaru related: changed the tranny and transfer case fluids on my F350 - wow, what a mess that was!

True2Blue:

That's some serious electrical draw you will be installing. I hope you plan on putting a bigger alternator in there. I was poping 65A alternator (alternator is rated at 60A) fuses with a 900W audio system, aux lights, dual high powered electric cooling fans, and a SPFI conversion. Just lettin' ya know! ;)

oh yeah! well, i got a AM FM radio with one speaker! :lol:

************ man, that stuff costs twice as much as my whole damn car!

i feel ya.. i know i bought it for 5k last year when i was iraq.. all NEW. so i depreciated it a bit for age.

my 87 has a perfect condition stereo with all working speakers someone offered my $10 for it...:-\

True2Blue:

That's some serious electrical draw you will be installing. I hope you plan on putting a bigger alternator in there. I was poping 65A alternator (alternator is rated at 60A) fuses with a 900W audio system, aux lights, dual high powered electric cooling fans, and a SPFI conversion. Just lettin' ya know! ;)

i know ill be ultimately upgrading to 140amp gm alternator but for now im gonna do the maxima 90amp

its okay people im 21 i know a few things not alot but a few. and i just removed this system out of my truck it was hooked up and bumpin im not stupid ive ran it before so i know its limits..

i have a few diplomas that say i know whats up as well. no more common sense bashing on true2blue please

Edited by True2Blue

atleast tho, with the capacitors in there you should save a little bit of draw on the system. i would bet you'd be just fine with a 90 amp alternator.

I ran my old system in my ford probe 2x1000watt amps w/ 2 1farad caps wired up and it was fine, except when there was a looooong bass sound while driving with my headlights on. never killed the car, but it wanted to!:)

be sure to post some pics (progress and finished product) of the install! i'd be down to see it in all its glory.

atleast tho, with the capacitors in there you should save a little bit of draw on the system. i would bet you'd be just fine with a 90 amp alternator.

I ran my old system in my ford probe 2x1000watt amps w/ 2 1farad caps wired up and it was fine, except when there was a looooong bass sound while driving with my headlights on. never killed the car, but it wanted to!:)

be sure to post some pics (progress and finished product) of the install! I'd be down to see it in all its glory.

thank you! my stock gm alternator did just fine with the subs POUNDING for 10 minutes while fine tuning the amps and it was under 90amps...

i know what it will handle but i don't argue too much on here, i get nowhere fast. i just take the input and use whats useful lol.

im going to start the install tomorrow im waiting on door speakers an amp kit and a sub box.... today.. im ordering my bumpers:banana:

i bought paint and clear coat along with caulk for my electrical connections mainly grounds im cleaning all the surfaces then sealing them after connected.

pics coming tonight

Went to the junk yard and seen a sight that I have never seen before, I WISH there was all four but there was only 1, What a cock tease, anyway anybody know what rims these are?

0406001308a.jpg

0406001308.jpg

Those are Cal/Masters

Might wanna check out the subaru's of the 80's site a little more often ;)

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/wheels/wheels.html

Twitch

I understand the ceiling being high on a sound system, that's where the quality lives. I am glad you are not the typical crank it till your deaf bass head they give high powered stereos a bad name. I am eagerly awaiting photos of your install I need ideas

Oh, the 5-lug woes....having interesting issues with this project. The rear was easy, but the front? Oh my...

Out with the old:

4506057258_a5ae40580e.jpgCan you tell this poor roo hasn't been out and about in a while?

Pulled it all out...drilled out the holes in the crossmember for the XT6 control arm to 15/32" and installed the control arm:

4505449391_6224cc0cf4.jpg

I had to pull the sway bar and the steering rack out to give me enough room for the drill so I could drill out the holes for the bigger bolt. I used 2 bolts from the my parted out Sportage to bolt it to the car.:eek:

All was going well till I ran into this little hiccup:

4505423173_fcec3d2edc_d.jpg

Humm.. that won't do....

4505423135_bab9c684f2_d.jpg

Oh, most definitely not! 92' Legacy springs are WAY too wide!

So, a "quick" run to Tucson and found these:

4506057106_ffc4a5a5a8_d.jpg

95 Impreza sedan spring and Legacy strut - much better! :)

After getting that straightened out, I attempted to install the CV axel, but it's too long! It's at full compression with the suspension at full droop. Somethin's wrong here....I checked Napa's web site, since that's where we got them from, and the part number of the half shaft I have, is the shorter of the two axles Napa lists :confused: What's odd, is the used Legacy axle we pulled from the donor car, is shorter than this one.:confused::confused::confused:

Off to more solving of this interesting puzzle....

Well, after Perry Mason is over.:grin:

UPDATE ON MY TRANS and a bit weird at that pushed my car out of the driveway to move it went around the block and for gits and shiggles i put it in reverse low and behold the car went backwards... ? WTF drove it around worked fine all day but i go out to the car thismorning fire it up put it in reverse and the damn thing wont move but after i drive it for a bout 5 min. shure as ************ it works im at a loss its a Turbo 3.7 5sp SR 4x4 trans. anyone had this happen?

Rob.