Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

yeah, seats folded down, but we were sharing space with some of the stuff I had in the back that never got taken out when I moved out.

And the hood is always a classic. We found about 4 different ways to make that one work with my old BMW

well on my most recent subie (sadly the only Subaru i own now) I yanked out the carpet because it was soaked in motor oil and anti-freeze as well. i also had a exhaust leak a bit towards the back that i didnt want to mess with too much so i sealed it off at the same time.

20091004125512-2.jpg

20091004125527-3.jpg

edit: i used grace ice and water shield. Its a decent sound dampener too, might come in handy if i decide to have more than just a boombox sitting next to me. :-/. Not the first car i've done this too. i did it to my '89 gl-10

l_5cd195d2fcfc39ad362dd00c33c8e4fd.jpg

l_e85447eecb2d3895aa7a00781876bb33.jpg

Edited by crazyman03

Well, I got the 86' last May as a parts car to fix the wifes 87'. But, it was in better shape than the 87' was. So... New front axles, New front struts, Head gaskets, timing belts, radiator ect...And another roo is back on the road. Yes, Its 4wd, D/R, 5sp. The front seats are shot, so a trip to LKQ u-pull-it is in order. And still have to find a Y-pipe for it and replace the home made one.

Ed

Cleaned and resealed a fresh (80k mile) junkyard motor from a 91 loyale (car had bad fuel pump wiring) for a friend of mine, added new LUK clutch kit, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, gaskets, thermostat, timing belts, water pump, oil, wix filter, carb intake, etc and proceeded to shove it into his '86 Limited Edition Red wagon! That was my first engine stab. This work is going towards the BRAT I am buying from him!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

My soon to be '80 BRAT. Ain't she a beauty!!!

She needs some TLC (Time and Lots of Cash) Lol but for $400 I think its worth it. Just needs carpet and seats, a bath, tires and some love.

GEDC1001.jpg

GEDC1000.jpg

GEDC1002.jpg

EA81. Motorcraft 2bbl carb conversion, factory roll bar, Has spoke wheels for it.

Edited by Ricearu

lifted my loyale 6",:) installed a d/r trans, drilled some yota wheels, added rear disc,:grin: installed a decent jukebox, replaced one axle and one ball joint (will do the other side later this week) finished fabbin up a subframe?!:grin: for lack of better words i guess. reinforced/lengthened the tiebars 1.5":brow: oh ya, and did a 2.2 swap!:headbang: welded up a 3.9 diff (not installed tho?!?! dont really wanna break stuff yet!), ummm think thats bout it for lately.... more to come soon tho! bumpers and lights and racks oh my!:banana:

lifted my loyale 6",:) installed a d/r trans, drilled some yota wheels, added rear disc,:grin: installed a decent jukebox, replaced one axle and one ball joint (will do the other side later this week) finished fabbin up a subframe?!:grin: for lack of better words i guess. reinforced/lengthened the tiebars 1.5":brow: oh ya, and did a 2.2 swap!:headbang: welded up a 3.9 diff (not installed tho?!?! dont really wanna break stuff yet!), ummm think thats bout it for lately.... more to come soon tho! bumpers and lights and racks oh my!:banana:

************! it would take me like a year to do that!

:headbang: to you!

well, its not like i did all of that overnight.... took about 6-7 weeks, i've been motivated though.... obsesive compulsive behavior and alot of turnin wrenches and fab work....

even still. thats pretty good. it usually takes me 3 times as long to do things as normal people. not sure why. something stupid always seems to go wrong which totally sets crap back:confused:

Finally found my mysterious water leak.

Fortunate that it was just a loose hose clamp.

Here's a pic of my stepdad helping me install a used ea82 into my loyale

from last winter.

1254956481.jpg My latest project has been repainting my 89 Toyota Cressida.

My first attempt at auto painting and has a lot of flaws.

I'm pretty happy with the results though considering my lack of experience

and being sprayed in a dirty shop.

1254961370.jpg

even still. thats pretty good. it usually takes me 3 times as long to do things as normal people. not sure why. something stupid always seems to go wrong which totally sets crap back:confused:

HAHAHAHA! Must be a Wisconsin thing lol.. I can't beleive it! someone else from WI!! Whooot! what do ya drive? This is ground breaking :banana:

jrfan, hey looks like you had a good time. your stepdad looks like a kind guy :)

Clean Cressida, Everytime I see one around its got cancer really bad. So how did the engine swap go? should have been pretty easy since you didn't go with a carbed EA82.

-Tom :)

Edited by TheLoyale

What I did today:

Removed A/C radiator,

Fabbed two metel brackets one is bolted to the hood release bracket,

Then mounted my set of 118dB Hella supertone horns to that, then added the second bracket to the back of the two bolts that hold the horns to the first bracket. It acts how a strut tower brace would (Keeps my horns from vibrating all over, basicly strangthins the first bracket) I'll get a picture tomorrow. now all I need to do it wire them up along with its relay and I'm done! :)

And yes, all this fits behind the grill, I backspaced the first bracket a little (hence removing the A/Cs rad)

jrfan, hey looks like you had a good time. your stepdad looks like a kind guy :)

Clean Cressida, Everytime I see one around its got cancer really bad. So how did the engine swap go? should have been pretty easy since you didn't go with a carbed EA82.

Yeah, the swap was pretty simple thanks to Miles Fox and the info from his site. The intake,distributor and all was from the original motor which had a low compression cylinder.

I put an ad on craigslist needing a running ea82 and got this one locally for 150 bucks.

The guy I got it from knows his stuff about Scoobies and was honest about the motors condition.

150,000 miles but runs strong,leaks a minor amount of oil from the head gaskets with recent timing belt change.

Engine was clean as a pin inside with perfect compression.

Has flawlessly gotten me to and from work for almost a year now.

The Cressida only had rust in a fender so I swapped one from my donor car.

Here are some pics of me and my son during the bodywork.

My stepdad is a great guy and good to my mom.

He's a retired ironworker and even built the shop in the pictures, mostly from scrap material including a lift from a closed down service station.

Not trying to boast, just wish I was as talented.:)

002.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

+1, Miles Fox has great write ups on Trashwagon.com. I used his Oilpump/T-belt guide the first time I did that job along with cam seals. To bad he doesn't seem to come on here anymore. He used to be local (In Madison and Milwaukee WI) dunno where he is now (Hes a Fox, slinks around lol)

Nice job on the Cressida, looks much better white (Is that a genuine toyata color?)

Boast all you want, I too wish I had skills like that (Just something you don't see much of these days) Anyhoo, haha yep I see he's your little helper :) Wet seanding or just dry? I just did a dry sand with 400grit on my fenders and it worked awesome (Some things are just over kill)

-Tom

They did come in a similar white but no it's not a factory color.

The paint is Valspar single stage urethane in a generic white I bought off the web.

I wetsanded the Valspar epoxy primer with 400.

I color wetsanded the entire car with 1000 then 2000.

Then high speed buffed with perfect it 3 on a wool pad and finally polishing glaze on a foam pad.

The results are amazing but it's a ton of work.

I certainly understand why a real professional paint job cost so much.

Miles is a real character and knows his stuff on older Subes.