Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy low idle problem

Guest me0508

I am having trouble with a very low idle on my 94 Legacy (about 300 rpm). I've reset the ECU and that did not help. In reading previous posts, a good place to start seems to be the IAC valve. Can these successfully be cleaned or do I just need to buy a new one? I'm not 100 percent sure that is the problem so I hate to drop $300+ bucks right now. Thanks.

Guest Legacy777

They can be cleaned. Take the IAC valve off the car. Scribe around the mount brackets for the magnetic controller, then remove the controller. Spray brake cleaner in the valve and make sure it turns smoothly and freely. When it's cleaned and good, put magnetic top back on and line it up with the marks.

Put everything back together. If idle is still way too low, you can slightly tweak the magnetic top to give you a slightly better idle.

FYI, the tach on the dash is not really that accurate. It almost always reads low. Use an external tach setup for fine tuning and adjustment.

Josh, what if one disconnected the air intake hose to the IAC and shot some cleaner in there while the engine was running? Would you see reasons not to do that?

Just an idea.

Guest Legacy777

Well......only problem with that is you're getting a lot of un-metered air, and car will not probably run. You could give it a shot.

other thought is to disconnect the MAF sensor, and then do this. The car will run with a default mapping....and it'll run pretty crappy, but I think it'll run better then with the MAF connected and trying to spray stuff in there.