Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold Weather Problems

robm

The recent cold weather has showed up a couple of problems with my '93 4WD Loyale wagon. It is pretty cold up here, been down to -15 to -20 deg. C recently.

1. The throttle sticks when first starting. I have to bust it loose before starting, or else it sticks wide open the first time I touch the gas. (WOT, 7500 RPM is not good for a cold engine!) A couple of times I have had to get under the hood to unjam the throttle quadrant/cable.

2. Twice, I have had it start, then die, and refuse to start until half an hour or so later. Not good when it is this cold outside! No check engine light, it just cranks and won't start.

Could it be flooding for some reason, the cold screwing up the MAF sensor?

Any other brilliant suggestions? The Alaska folks are probably the most likely to have hit similar weather to what we get around her, they aren't that far away. Our climates are pretty similar.

Robm:

Hi! I have a '93 Loyale, 1.8L SPFI and am having the exact same cold-starting problem. If it's cold enough outside for frost to form on my car, it will not start. Once the temp warms up enough for the frost to melt, it starts without a problem. The big problem for me is I live in Phoenix. The overnight temp only drops to the 30's maybe once every week or so in the winter, so leaving my car at the shop overnight is a crap-shoot.

Hopefully someone from the great-white north has experienced this problem and has a solution for us!

BTW, welcome to the board!

• 1 year later...
The recent cold weather has showed up a couple of problems with my '93 4WD Loyale wagon. It is pretty cold up here, been down to -15 to -20 deg. C recently.

1. The throttle sticks when first starting. I have to bust it loose before starting, or else it sticks wide open the first time I touch the gas. (WOT, 7500 RPM is not good for a cold engine!) A couple of times I have had to get under the hood to unjam the throttle quadrant/cable.

2. Twice, I have had it start, then die, and refuse to start until half an hour or so later. Not good when it is this cold outside! No check engine light, it just cranks and won't start.

Could it be flooding for some reason, the cold screwing up the MAF sensor?

Any other brilliant suggestions? The Alaska folks are probably the most likely to have hit similar weather to what we get around her, they aren't that far away. Our climates are pretty similar.

Robm, I have a problem similar to your 2nd problem. My 97 Imprezza starts and runs fine in below zero weather, but if I drive it only a short distance, turn it off, and try to restart soon after, it refuses to start unless I let it sit for a half hour. Did you ever learn the answer to your problem? Grey

The throttle sticking is kinda weird. I would lube up the cable and where it connects to the TB with some good low-temp lubricant.

I know this won't fix the problem, but if mine doesn't want to start, I can always get it to go by putting it to the floor and cranking. Sometimes it takes like 10 seconds, but that has worked every time. I'll have to look into replacing the thermosensor on mine too. Apparently that is a common problem.

I have a similar problem when the temp is +20F or below it reves to about 3000rpm then down to 1500rpm then back up it does this untill the engine warms up 30mins to 1hour later depends on how cold it is. I mostly wait till the windshield clears up then off I go. I get allot of looks when I stop.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 90 loyale and i've got starting problems in the cold. i live in PA and this is my first winter with the car... as far as i can tell my start problems stems from the electrical system. my fusable links are bad and when it's cold i have to jiggle the wires around to get my car to start.

The issues with starting sound like a bad coolant temp sensor. This is the device that tells the ECU whether the engine is warm or cold. (not to be confused with the thermosensor on the radiator that sends the water temp to your water temp guage on the dash). A bad coolant temp sensor can cause your fuel injection system to dump too much or too little fuel in at startup (causing a flooding or too lean condition) = will crank but won't start.