Ultimate Subaru Message Board

280 ZX T injectors in EA82T's ?

Hi all , I think I read somewhere that people have used Nissan 280 ZX T injectors in EA82T engines and without mods - except the rubber hose tail mod .

I believe these Nissan type injectors are about 10% larger than the std EA82T's ones ie 220 odd vs 25 odd cc's .

Has anyone done this and how did the std computer cope with the slightly larger squirters ?

Cheers A .

well standard 280zx injectors are the same used in the ea82t, if you were pushing more boost and required more fuel that would make sence but not as direct replacments with out any boost upping mods.

i am sure with out extra boost your computer would have a hard time coping because you'd be running rich all the time

i used turbo 300zx injectors. they work alright if your motor is in good condition. combined with my really low compression and mile high altitude they tend to flood the engine on a cold start. i have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it running. if you let it die right away it floods. then its hard to start. sometimes i have to unplug the maf to get it going again. in your case it probably wont be like that. i need a rebuild again. my aav is disabled and my compression is down around 60psi and less. i have not done any fuel pressure mods

i used turbo 300zx injectors. they work alright if your motor is in good condition. combined with my really low compression and mile high altitude they tend to flood the engine on a cold start. i have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it running. if you let it die right away it floods. then its hard to start. sometimes i have to unplug the maf to get it going again. in your case it probably wont be like that. i need a rebuild again. my aav is disabled and my compression is down around 60psi and less. i have not done any fuel pressure mods

Are you sure they were from a 300ZX?

Because thats a V6 with dual feed injectors, which would take alot of modding to make work.

I have a set of these....90-93 Mitsubishi Eclipse Fuel Injectors #INP-059 DOHC

MitsuInj1.jpg

Pretty much a direct swap and they are 250cc

not all VG30E or VG30ET (300zx/maxima/pathfinder) engines had dual feed injectors. there is a TSB on some because they would like to catch on fire. the maxima i had had the TSB performed with side feeds in it but it was N/A.

but its kinda 50/50 with top/side feed injectors on those cars. only thing i know is converting a L28E to side feed is a pain but generally well worth it.

I have 280 ZX-T injectors in my EA82T. Yeah they are about 10% more flow, not a whole lot. I also am running about 25 PSI more fuel pressure by crushing the FPR.

Two mods were needed for engine management: I added a potentiometer to the MAF, and I added a relay to make the ECU switch to open-loop a bit sooner under boost. Oh I have some Ford fuel pump too, but you might not need that.

Well time for me to pipe up in this thread since I had done this swap.

I had bad luck with a couple bottom ends but they held up until either the oilpump went in the first one or I blew the ringlands in the second.

First setup was a stock EA82T bottom end, rebuilt gen 2 turbo heads, '88 XT N/A spider intake with the 280ZX turbo injectors, AFPR @ 40psi, TD04 turbo @ 14psi, Megan Racing 3" bellmouth downpipe, WRX TMIC, Samco intercooler hoses, AEM cold air intake. Oilpump went south, took bottom end with it.

Second setup was the same as before but I used a SPFI bottom end.

I was living in Wyoming at the time so altitude of 7200 feet above sea level which is why I was running a bit more boost. I never hit fuel cut and was running a boost gauge, narrowband A/F guage, Greddy Profec II B-spec boost controller. A/F never dropped into lean, always stayed on the Stoich/Rich line. I did the injectors and the AFPR at the same time and it seemed to make a decent difference for me.

Remember, it will be key to be able to tune the vehicle. Tuning is the major key to keep the engine happier BUT you still have to worry about the cooling system issues AND the fact its an EA82T:rolleyes:

• 5 years later...

So 2 of my injectors have poor mist pattern. 

No turbo cars listed above were at my pick n pull.  But i did get my hands on a 84 maxima (inline 6)

Based on post 7 I thought VG30E injectors would work on my EA81.

I cleaned em up and they sure do mist nice.   BUT...

With a crude flow test they do not flow nearly what the stock ea81 injectors do.

My test is 40 psi with 10 sec On with a stop watch.

Stock EA81 injectors flow about 37 ml (fluid in the cup)

VG30E injectors flow about 30 ml  (Black line marked on the cup.)

post-54979-0-87964700-1435587959_thumb.jpg

Word to the wise.  Dont make my mistake.

Edited by coronan

Did you get the injectors serviced?

ie de-magnetised & cleaned. I've gained 15% on injectors that were sitting around before.

If not, sitting around in a wrecking yard isn't going to do them any good, they are a pretty precise piece of machining.

BTW, any "flap-style" MAF sender cars can easily have the injector range changed by changing the preload on the spring instead.

Both my poorly spraying spraying Subaru injectors and the nicely spraying Maxima injectors flow incredibly consistent, one injector to the next.  

If i wanted to get scientific about it I could weigh the fluid.  But i'm not racing and my heads are not flow balanced so what is the point of balancing injectors if the cylinders have different air flow.

I had them out so I wanted to know they are clean and have good spray pattern.

I did put my better spray pattern injectors in the higher flowing intake ports.  (for now... Gotta get this thing back on the road.)

I am familiar with adjusting the MAF from playing with toyotas.  Surprisingly it does not get discussed on this forum.

I'm wrapping up a head rebuild.  After this I will have wide band AF gauge installed.  

The other thing that does not get discussed is if upgrading the injectors is fixing a lean issue, OR its just because all the cool kids are doing it.  

For example no one in this thread mentions knock or ping.