Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One of these things is not like the other.

Ok gang help me out, what the heck is missing from this picture.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1640

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1643

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1644

Lets look clooooooooser.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1645

What the heck is missing. Oh and i found this yakama wrench, just curious as if anyone knows what it goes to.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1650

Buy the way, some pics of my helper. I rewarded her with her first driveing lesson.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1651

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1652

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1653

Edited by The Dude Abides

Ok well thats good that that isnt anything serious. But........... thats the side thats makeing the grindeing noise. I moved the passanger side wheel and didnt hear the noise but when i moved the driverside it started makeing that grindeing. Bearings probally.

the easiest thing to do is replace the entire trailing arm. I had a Brat that made noises from there.... grease ran dry because a prev owner had welded the castle nut onto the drum, and melted out all the grease... I locked it up going 65 :) made for a good spark show....

Oh and i found this yakama wrench, just curious as if anyone knows what it goes to.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1650

That Yakima wrench is just what McBrat said, for the hardware that tightens the raingutter towers on your roof rack. The bolt is on the backside under the crossbar loop and snugs up the loop to the cross bar so you can take off the rack from the car without loosing your tower spread on the cross bar.

Mick

Are you seriously telling me its easier to replace the entire trailing arm then the rear wheel bearing. It will probally cost me 50 bucks for a trailing arm from the junkyard vs 10 for the bearings. It cant be that hard.

You have to have a special tool to get the locking nut off and a press to do the rear wheel bearings...

Removing the trailing arm is as easy as losening 2 bolts and removing the shock and axle...

-Bill

i say put a NEW bearing on there, this is a job to do right, the first time and it will last. Getting a junkyard one with more miles is a crapshoot i would not do. Bearings are a wear item, and going used will get you one that might be worse.

Ben if you want i will try to buy the tool in the coming weeks, cause i need to do mine someday.

i say put a NEW bearing on there, this is a job to do right, the first time and it will last. Getting a junkyard one with more miles is a crapshoot i would not do. Bearings are a wear item, and going used will get you one that might be worse.

Ben if you want i will try to buy the tool in the coming weeks, cause i need to do mine someday.

I have the tool you tools can use if you want :lol:

you can for sure squirt some grease in there with a grease gun with pointed fine tip nozzle. It will guiet down dry bearings for a while......

it probably is the bearing. if your inner wheel seal is bad, or missing, then the water from some puddles could have got in there, deteriorating the original grease making it into a milkshake. If you went thru any puddles recently, then yeah. Ask Dennis what happened to his after a few small puddles. Fun stuff right, but then not long after the fun, there is trouble

IM not even positive its the bearings. But the scrapeing noise increases as i go faster. Is this something i can grease from the backside to prolong its life alittle. It seems to be getting worse every few months or so. Anything else it could possibly be.

You recently installed those Rear Disc Brakes right?

I can think of 1 thing that could be causing the scraping other than wheel bearings.

Make sure the Brake Disc backing plate is not bent and touching the rotor as it goes round.

You recently installed those Rear Disc Brakes right?

I can think of 1 thing that could be causing the scraping other than wheel bearings.

Make sure the Brake Disc backing plate is not bent and touching the rotor as it goes round.

I thought of that to but the problem is it was makeing this noise before i swaped the brakes. Its geting worse boys. If this things fails, whats the worst that can happen.

I thought of that to but the problem is it was makeing this noise before i swaped the brakes. Its geting worse boys. If this things fails, whats the worst that can happen.

you totally cook the grease out of the bearings, and then you keep driving them... it locks up at 65 mph on the interstate... then you drive the car 1.5 miles to the next exit where you get towed back home....

FLAT.JPG