Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do you love your Sube

This might sound like a stupid question to all of you on the USMB, but today someone asked me why I love my Sube so much.

I told the guy that my Brat is super reliable and on snowy roads I on a regular basis pass my share of Chevy,Ford,Dodge,totoya 4x4s without worry of my personal safety.I also told this guy that I've never had starting problems with my Subes. My N/A carbed 84 wagon started with no problems at -18 ambient air temp. I've never had a problem with my Turbo Brat starting either it was -12 yesterday morning and she whirred right over. So why do you all love em. Just curious. USMB for life

i love my soobe for one cuz i work at a soob shop, and two becuase it is huge inside of it! i can safely sit three people in the back, in adition to all the seats being full! that and its a stand out kinda car, its very clean, very white, and pretty quick for a wagon.

Dan

It's funny you ask cause.........All of my subaru's have broke down at inconvenient places and times....caused me pain that I consider personal.....treated me like a champ when it counts......got me outta the time I said "Dude...we're F@(%d" Made me look like a "RockStar" offroad....helped me get to work all week on time(not that there's anything wrong with that),The sweet blissful warm feeling that I know that nothing could ever go wrong as long as I drive this sweet sweet,ride and have the knowledge that there are crazies out there just like me who enjoy being a minority of sorts.

F.Y.I. - This board has created it's own destiny

RANT

RANT

RANT

Because she <my D/Ranged wagon> just won't quit.

Starts on frigid <-32 degrees the other night brrrr!> mornings, carries all my tools (well, MOST ;)) decent mileage, easy to work on (even though the aftermarket SUCKS!)...

And, the BEST is the look on loser neighbours faces when they intentionally plow me into my driveway with a three foot high embankment, and I just drove over/through it on the way to work Wednesday morning.

That, and hauling a stuck fullsize Chev van out of a ditch the other night was cool too!

Sure, she's let me down a coupla times, but in retrospect, they were no biggie, coulda been worse.

I don't think i've ever owned a more reliable machine <although my 84 Grand Prix comes a close second R.I.P.>

Long live the Mighty Subie!

Um... they're Scoobies? I loved my BC Legacy, I love my XT-GL, I've loved the handful of SVX's that I've had the pleasure of driving. When I finish college (with a dual major in Computer Engineering and Computer Science), I'm buying a new Soob - the B11S if they ever make it, a Baja turbo or Legacy GT (turbo) if not.

Scoobies are tan presyosa as well :D

Originally posted by moosens

EASE OF PERSONAL REPAIR!!!

I couldn't agree with this more. I've worked on a few other makes, and no matter what, my Scoobs are SOOO much easier to work on!

Plus, neither one has ever left me anywhere, for any reason. Not even a dead battery or flat tire. They've done some weird things while I have been driving them, but they always got me there!

Then the fact that they are saturated with personality to an extent that I've never seen in any other type of car before. I named both my cars for a reason! :)

To steal Infiniti's old catch-22, "own one and you'll understand"

I grew up on '60 Chrysler Musclecars... they were the only car I cared about at all actually. I always thought Subies were good looking cars (always kinda reminded me of a Delorean), but I thought (gasp) they were just import junk. Untill!!!!! I started driving my moms '84 GL wagon while one of my hot rod mopars was in for repairs. Suprisingly it wasn't near as slow as mom had made it look all those years, and by god if it didn't handle too! I grew to love my Subies, I could treat them like crap, put them thru anything and they'd come back for more. Then I got into doing some minor repair work on them and I was so impressed by the thought and craftsmanship that went into these little cars. I have never coma across another car as well enginered as a Subie; 2 fuel filters, fuel pump mounted on a heavy steel plate with big soft rubber busings to prevent shock, skid plates, water cooled carb and intake.... what other car is built this tough?!

I've been so impressed with my Subies... I swear by them. My hot rod Mopars are now my secondary cars. :-p

Glad you all are enjoying your cars!!! My little turbo refuses to stay in running condition for more than a few weeks at a time! The strange thing is that despite her constant complaints and refusal to do anything she's supposed to, Ill never get rid of her! No way, no how! Need to do some work on the fuel system electronics to get her working or have her towed to a shop to do some diagnostic work because its driving me out of my mind. Shes my baby!:D

1. They're just cool, in a strange, quirky sort of way. Also the shock value of offroading with a CAR fits under this one.

2. None of mine have EVER let me down. They always get me home from the stupid places I take them, even if they have problems that would be considered fatal in most cases. Sure, I've gotten stuck and stuff, but that was because of my stupidity, and most times I made it a heck of a lot farther than most other vehicles would.

3. They are sinfully fun in snow. I live in alaska. Need I say more?

4. Even though compared to most soobs mine has been expensive, it's still way cheaper than anything else that could come close to doing all the stuff that it does.

There are sooooo many more reasons, I just don't have time...

When you get behind the wheel of a subaru, it just feels like no other car on the road. Nothing compares, no new car has as nice of a feel and personality as my 20 year old non-power steering, falling apart wagon. Same goes for other subarus I have driven. Truly its indescribable (not to mention the teenager stories I could tell with that wagon :brow: )

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the "Subaru feel." At least for me, I just feel natural driving a soob. It doesn't matter what kind, although the newer ones aren't quite the same. Maybe it's because I learned to drive in my mom's 87 wagon when I was 10. Whenever I'm driving a subaru, especially really hard, it feels less like a car than an extension of my own body. No other car or truck feels like that. My snowmachine is close, but still not the same.

Dependibility being first! Ease of owner repair, fun to drive, personality plus, handles well in all road conditions, good gas mileage, versatility, did I mention fun to drive? lol

considering all the different makes and models of cars I have owned over the years, my Soob is by far the most dependable and versatile car I have ever owned. the one and only time she actually left me on the side of the road could be considered my fault for not changing the timing belts when I first got her, like it was recommended to me to do! guaranteed that will NEVER happen again! ;)

My only complaint with this car is that it isnt the most comfortable on long road trips....that seat just gets sooo uncomfortable after so many miles, no adjustment makes much difference...but I can live with it, cause I dont make that many long road trips! (after driving a behemoth of a lincoln that felt like it was floating - it is a VERY noticable difference)

But I do love my Brumhilda! :D

Why do I love my subi??? Because I hit that button to my lower left....and like a secret 007 trick a door opens and a light in the middle of the grill comes on!!!!

Also, my car was going to be driven to the junkyard! All CV boots busted, wheel bearings toast, rusted out, ragged at the farm until CV boots filled with grass and corn parts, and did I mention the rust? Buuuuuut, I've had the car for almost three years now with a tune up and necessary repairs mentioned she's driven through snow like a haus, passed emissions without emissions controls, gotten me to work for a year and a half, and never failed to start!! Despite all the ragging I do to it....oh and I don't have to worry about door dings and can park where ever I want!

Plus the looks you get from other motorists as my rusted out little blue wagon races by them!

I bought my car in 1983. It wasn't cheap back then.

I initially purchased my Subaru because it did everything I wanted a car to do.

It looked good.

It got good mileage.

It had 4WD.

It was bigger than my 78 Civic.

Since that time and for the last 21 years it has,

Been reliable,

Never really had to fix anything, (one junkyard part on my car)

Still runs as strong as it ever did,

In it's next life as a SubaruHummer, I expect it to continue on like it has in the past.

This is why I purchased another Subaru to replace it:D

Glenn,

82 Hatch, almost wired..........

01 Forester, bent but not broken!