Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newly acquired 93 legacy automatic

shutters good in toght circle both left and right turns

put fuse in and no shutter!

one thing i looked for tonight was the AT light on the dash with the key on (I read that there is supposed to be one right??)...there was none

I will change the fluid a few times but I should put a bulb in...I did some research here and I think a flashing AT light could mean the duty c solenoid is bad...is that correct? (whats involved in changing it)

All guidance welcomed (I don't want to learn how to take down the rear part of the tranny:-\)

Also it had a rythmic thumping (not really a thump but a growl...sort of)...rythmic with tire rotation...driving straight and turning wheel to left and noise is heard...turn wheel even just a little to right and quiets down mostly

I would guess wheel bearing rather than cv joint (no clicking anytime)...?

Sounds like wheel bearing to me from that discription.

Jack up the back end(put it on blocks), then grab the wheel at top and bottom centre and the alternatively push in with one hand and pull out with the other. I there is any play the bearing is buggered(as we say here in New Zealand). Give it a spin as well and see if it sounds noisy to confirm.

axles could be shot too from the torque bind, it stresses them. it would be the inner joints that are hosed.

TONS of torque bind info here.

change the fluid a few times and try to put some miles on it.

there's an LSD additive (GM is recommended) to get rid of it if the fluid change alone doesn't.

it's all covered here, spend some time reading.

yes, you have a light on the dash. you would not miss 16 flashes at start up, so that tells me it's not flashing.

we already know it shouldn't be flashing anyway. the issue goes away with the FWD fuse. that means the Duty C solenoid is working properly and you're not going to have a flashing light due to torque bind.