Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb here!

Hey, I just got a 1988 GL-10 wagon. Ok, so I won't have it until Sunday, but the deal has been finalized. I'm trading my old-school bmw plus a little bit of cash for it. It's in pretty good shape. It's maroon with gold-ish 13" rims. It's got FWD and full-time AWD. At one point, it had the auto leveling rear air suspension, but that got taken out. I'm going to tap the fuse box and make the auto level switch be a FWD/AWD toggle switch.

Eventually, it'll get an SJR 4" lift and 27" tires, but that will be a ways off since I'm broke right now. The paint is pretty badly oxidized on the roof, so I'll probably camo it or paint it flat grey with WWII style shark mouths on the side, or something unique-yet-cool like that. Anywho, I'll get pics up on Sunday when I get it.

If its got FWD, then it doesnt have Full Time 4WD. Full Time 4WD is always in 4WD and you cant select between the two. If there is a lever in between the seats to take it in & out of 4WD, then you have what is known as Part-Time 4WD.

Stick around for a while, there is a ton to learn here! Not to mention you live in the Subaru Mecha with kick-rump roast subaru dudes on every street corner.

If its got FWD, then it doesnt have Full Time 4WD. Full Time 4WD is always in 4WD and you cant select between the two. If there is a lever in between the seats to take it in & out of 4WD, then you have what is known as Part-Time 4WD.

See that's what I'm confused about. The car say "FULL-TIME AWD" on the side and it's the type where you remove the fuse under the hood to put it in AWD, or put it in for FWD. No lever or switch.

What type of BMW did you trade? You will find that the EA engines are some of the most reliable ever built.

It was a 1989 BMW 525i w/ the M20 engine and auto transmission.

See that's what I'm confused about. The car say "FULL-TIME AWD" on the side and it's the type where you remove the fuse under the hood to put it in AWD, or put it in for FWD. No lever or switch.

It was a 1989 BMW 525i w/ the M20 engine and auto transmission.

Ok cool, you got a full-time 4WD subaru. The turbo & full time 4WD are a pretty good setup, but not for wheeling.

Two major downfalls:

1: (and the most important) no low range 4WD.

Part-Time 4WD Subaru's with selectable 4WD/FWD were available witha 4WD Low range, and that makes things 1000x better off-road. Expecially if you want to run 27" tires.

2: Its a turbo;

Turbo engines are not ideal for off-road use as they make very little power at low RPMS (expecially that motor you are about to get...) Among that, they are a forced induction system and the turbo is sucking air through the filter like crazy. It will suck anything else it can, like dirt, debris, mud, water.... all the things that love to destroy engines.

However, if you play your cards right and this Full Time 4WD Turbo Wagon you are about to get is in real good condition, its possible to sell it and get some money, then buy an already lifted rig... or a beater rig on the cheap and spend some extra dimes on a lift.

Take a quick look in our marketplace right now, a real good selection of wheelin' rigs up for grabs right now:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103552

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103553

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103642

All in your backyard. Make sure you get us pix when you get that wagon!

p.s.

the fuse under the hood is to force the car into FRONT Wheel drive, this is only for towing purposes if you were to tow the Subaru on anything other than a flatbed.... which should NEVER EVER EVER EVER BE DONE!!! Regardless if there is a fuse or not.... just a heads up.

There's no push button on it...yet... but as I mentioned in my first post, I'm going to use the switch that used to control the auto leveling rear suspension for that. After thinking about it, rally is the only sensible direction to go with this one...

...and the coolest!