Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rally GLs?

jg09

I'm considering building my GL-10 for light rally duty, nothing serious, mostly dirt roads with minor elevation changes and a few ruts. Afterall, this car has to be my daily driver, too. But anyways, what should I do for suspension? I'd like to get a heavy duty set of shocks/springs because cars ARE known for occasionally leaving the ground when I'm behind the wheel. And I'm thinking a set of better anti-sway bars would be good, too. But as far as I know, nobody makes anything like this for the GL-10, so what parts (for what vehicles) would be easiest to modify to work with the GL?

Most of my rally conversion will be looks, too. I'm a rally fan, but can't afford to do the real thing, so I'll put a lightbar on the front and proudly flaunt the decals of the brands that make the products I install. Anyone got pics of older subie wagons used for rally? You know, for a little inspriration?

I've just upraded my GL with the XT sway bars, discs, and PS, but still quite a bit of roll. I was thinking next to get Eibach springs ~300lb/in for the rear and build a stout strut tower brace across the engine bay, anchoring to the spare tire location (the spare tire no longer resides in the engine bay). Any other ideas? BTW my car is an '85 GL with a 1999 2.2L (N/A).

I've just upraded my GL with the XT sway bars, discs, and PS, but still quite a bit of roll. I was thinking next to get Eibach springs ~300lb/in for the rear and build a stout strut tower brace across the engine bay, anchoring to the spare tire location (the spare tire no longer resides in the engine bay). Any other ideas? BTW my car is an '85 GL with a 1999 2.2L (N/A).

If I were you, I'd build a pair of custom anti-sway bars (they're not that hard to build, just get the right diameter/wall thickness of DOM chromo) and retrofit some bushings for it. And get the Eibach springs. Eventually, I'd like to modify a set of D2 rally coilovers to fit my GL-10. I saw a GL-10 that had 05-09 Legacy coilovers mounted in it and they worked well. I'd assume that good anti-sway bars and the coilovers would make a WORLD of difference. If you make anti-sway bars, though, make them adjustable. Just make multiple mounting holes at each end. Also, the strut tower brace will be extremely easy to build and should make a little bit of a difference.