Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weigh in on the new 2010 Legacy....

Now understand that I am a long time Subaru lover...my first was a 1980 DL sedan. I love the cars especially the 4WD in SE NY state. I have bought and sold many during the late 80's and early 90's as a $$making hobby

I love that the engines have the easies access to work on)

My observation has always been (and still is today) that Subaru just seems to be behind the curve when it comes to eye catching newer body styles

Now before you newer sub lovers flame me.....you really have to look at pictures of the past 30 years and compare with the competitors of the day

Now we have the 2010 model

I'm sure it is better than what we have....the interior looks romier...better mileage...more power..etc

But in the parking lot at work...there sits a brand new silver one

Next to her is a year or two old silver Camry

Jeez...they look so similar from the back and side

Her nose looks to me to be a relative of a maxima/altima....

I still love them(except for the HG problem they should have been more accountable for:horse:)....but it they we just a 2wd car company....they would only be 1/4 of the company they are now

Now understand that I am a long time Subaru lover...my first was a 1980 DL sedan. I love the cars especially the 4WD in SE NY state. I have bought and sold many during the late 80's and early 90's as a $$making hobby

I love that the engines have the easies access to work on)

My observation has always been (and still is today) that Subaru just seems to be behind the curve when it comes to eye catching newer body styles

Now before you newer sub lovers flame me.....you really have to look at pictures of the past 30 years and compare with the competitors of the day

Now we have the 2010 model

I'm sure it is better than what we have....the interior looks romier...better mileage...more power..etc

But in the parking lot at work...there sits a brand new silver one

Next to her is a year or two old silver Camry

Jeez...they look so similar from the back and side

Her nose looks to me to be a relative of a maxima/altima....

I still love them(except for the HG problem they should have been more accountable for:horse:)....but it they we just a 2wd car company....they would only be 1/4 of the company they are now

I will admit I was shocked at the new design of the Legacy/Outback. The 09 was such a stunning car, at least in wagon form. But I have slowly grown to like the new design. It does blend in a bit but its still a Subaru. My parents traded in there 98 outback for a 2010 outback and i have had the pleasure of driving it a hand full of times, I am impressed. It has much much much more leg room in the front and back, it's quiet, the doors shut like a vault. The new 2.5 with the CVT is a great match with plenty of pep.

My few gripes are the handling, it has numb steering. You cant corner like you can in the old 98. The stereo, especially when using an ipod through the usb port ( un-intuitive and a huge distraction when driving )

I will admit I was shocked at the new design of the Legacy/Outback. The 09 was such a stunning car, at least in wagon form. But I have slowly grown to like the new design. It does blend in a bit but its still a Subaru. My parents traded in there 98 outback for a 2010 outback and i have had the pleasure of driving it a hand full of times, I am impressed. It has much much much more leg room in the front and back, it's quiet, the doors shut like a vault. The new 2.5 with the CVT is a great match with plenty of pep.

My few gripes are the handling, it has numb steering. You cant corner like you can in the old 98. The stereo, especially when using an ipod through the usb port ( un-intuitive and a huge distraction when driving )

Ya, My dad has a 2002 Outback and a new 2009 Forester, We havent driven the new 2010 outback, but there is a big (I mean its huge inside) difference from the 2002 to the 2009 Forester... We noticed the same thing, the 2002 feels like a race car compared to the new Forester, we are going to get some much stiffer sway bars for the Forester, this should clean it up...

Its odd that all the new models are taking the fun out of the steering / handling. Overall though the New Forester is a much better car than the 2002.

We are planning on getting a Diesel Outback (If it ever comes to the USA)

-Daniel

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to comment but I just got back from the Subaru dealer looking for a replacement for my 95 Legacy Wagon and need to vent/rant. Apologies in advance...

My findings (albeit a bit late):

1. No Legacy Wagons - :(

2. No Hand Brake - :mad: Who made that @#*% decision??? What's next? 2WD Subaru's???

3. No Turbo 4 - :-\

4. Now there's a 6 speed manual :) but its a bit notchy :-\ and has no hill holder:(

5. No prospect of a diesel anytime soon:-\

6. The Outback looks like a land barge now. :confused:

I know Subaru is breaking its sales records but I think they lost a little something going mainstream. I think I'll be hitting the used market for the last manual Legacy Wagon model that was made. I think it's best that I don't comment on the current Impreza Hatchtoad, er, Hatchback at this time...

I think the last Legacy wagon made was what, 2005?

The 2010 OB I drove had hillholder. Do the Legacy's not? The OB's (and perhaps Legacies as well) haven't had hillholder since pre-2000.

I've started "adjusting" to the size, but it's still big for my taste... But then again, a lot more you can do with the extra room!

How long has it been since Subaru had a car out that had to be recalled more than once in a single model year? IIRC, there have been three this summer alone. . .

the 2010 and 2011 are too big for my uses, and the loss of handling is just not acceptable to me.

Legacy wagon was dropped in 2007 I think. http://www.cars101.com for verification.

I'm sad you can only get a turbo on a manual Impreza (my knees hate me enough already, thank you) or a Forester.

I'm sure the newest Subaru's are mechanically wonderful and great machines...but I can't bring myself to drive a great car that I don't want to drive because it feels too big. My wife can't find a driving position in the 2010 that she can see well, as she is rather un-tall.

Lucky for us there will be 2009 and older Outbacks on the road for many years. Haven't even cracked 100k in our 2003 yet.