Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Maintenance Bike.

Guest blondy

Hiya Guys,

Just after some knowledge along the lines of motorbikes, did have an old 74/75 Honda CB 250cc. But only held onto that one as a learner bike, since i really would prefer a bike that doesn't go backwards up a hill with me on it. Now it's gone i'm starting to miss the rides and my bro's bike is dead so i can't flog that one to ride.

Just wondering if you guys are able to help me in my knowledge quest on bikes that are easy to maintain and are low cost bikes to keep running. Would love a Ducati Monster, but i've been warned they cost a lot to keep running and really need a lot of work done on them at every services. Would be good to have one i could learn to maintain, but would be good to have one that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get done by a pro.

It would mainly be a sunday rider, just for when the weathers good, no point riding in the rain/crappy weather when i have a car...

Dream bike would probably be a Harley, but then rego/insurance would be a big hit in the pocket. But i do like that style, and i also like the naked bikes too...not a real big fan of the bikes with all the ferrings, i like to see some frame and engine.

Engine size i'm aiming for a 600cc, but depending on costs i'm willing to go bigger, and will ultimately come down to rego/insurance i'm willing to part with.

Any suggestions will be taken on board...hopefully i haven't been to picky and expect something which doesn't exist...

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blondy

soooo...i'm guessing know one wants to add their two cents???

Just to let any one interested know, i've found the out the following so far;

The two different styles so far that i like are;

Naked = SUZUKI GS500 and SV650, HONDA CB900 HORNET

Cruiser = SUZUKI BOULEVARD and HONDA VT750C

All will still come down to the info i dig up about them and the cost of being able to keep them and maintain them. My only worry with the crusiers, is if i get one that is below 1000cc, i'm sure it will go good with just me, but when i add the second person, will it become gutless???

i've never really had a powerful/big bike, so depending on how i feel sitting on one, will probably depend on if i will go for one...don't want to leap onto a bike i don't feel comfortable on with the riding level i'm at...if you know what i mean...?

Cheers and hopefully someone with some extra knowledge may stumble across my ramblings...

As a mechanic who has worked on most every bike since the late sixties from your list I highly recommend the Suzuki SV 650,the GS500 is OK but somewhat underpowered.

Check out some of the SV 650 forums everyone who discovers one of these gems absolutely loves them try and get a ride on one and you will not regret it.

Here in OZ it is amazing how many people in the trade own one and do not dismiss it's DL 650 BMW GS style brother either without riding one.

These are one of the few models I will recommend to mates with no worries of them coming back at me unhappy.

Good luck searching and try to ride a few first as even the best models can suffer from an unsympathetic owner abusing them.

Thanks for the info Coxy...been waiting to get a mechanics view on this...haven't had a chance to get to one to ask, and out my way there is only one motorbike mechanic...so he could probably tell me anything and i'll believe him.

Cheers

I owned a 06 SV650 for a couple years. I bought it with almost no miles and completley stock. I modded it quite a bit. It was a great bike, it moved me along well and I weight over 200lbs. I sold it to get a gsxr 1000 because although the SV is a great bike it is $6000 dollar bike so some of the componets are not top quality, Not bad, just not what I wanted to hang on to. I did all of the mods myself and It was easy to work on, reliable, and tame enough to learn on but with enough power to please. I would say get the SV650 for sure. I attached some pics of my bike for your veiwing pleasure. TedBull. http://WWW.SVRIDER.COM

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Edited by tedbull

I like my SV650, and it was my favorite until i rode a V-Strom 650, put 57k miles on that one in less time then it took the SV to get to 14k

It does have fairings, but that makes it nicer in bad weather.

Stay away from Harleys, you'd be buying an image instead of a bike. The Honda Shadow 750 is a great bike and will run circles around a harley any day of the week, and will stay running forever.

Yes, the Japanese know how to build bikes like they do cars. Some make both cars and bikes, which isn't seen much if at all anymore in the u.s. market. Porcupine has come to like Honda. So far the only problem he has encountered with the VFR is the cooling fan coolant switch went faulty.

VFR800A-CRF230L-1-sm.jpgprofile2-sm.jpg

No offence to those the like the full ferrings...but to me they look ugly and not my kind of taste...some look OK, but i wouldn't get a bike with them.

Its only going to be a sunday rider, so only when the weather is good...otherwise i have a car for that kind of weather.

tedbull....luv the SV, looks great...luv the double lights at the front.

Had a chat to the only local bike mechanic today...he has maybe put the idea of getting a ducati monster still in my mind and it being affordable to keep and maintain. He told me that after ducati released the monster and the uproar they received over the expensive upkeep, they went back to the drawing board and did some crunching and changed the maintenance windows out on it so they weren't as expensive...he also told me that the 2 valve engines are alot easier to maintain than the 4 valve, and reckons that with the modern bikes of today, they are all of a much of a muchness when it comes to servicing and cost to maintain and aren't as involved.

He could be leading me up the path...but he said there are about 4 monsters around that he services that are local, and he reckons they are just as cheap as some of the other jap bikes to maintain...we'll soon see i suppose and when i go down town for some fact finding/test riding...i'll see if i still have a smile on my face...

Blonde, Thanks for the props on my SV650. I sold it and have been missing it ever since but my GSXR has been a nice upgrade. I have heard alot of good things about the ducati monsters and I would like to get my wife the 600cc Monster. The newer monsters have a 7,500 mile service interval. Also Harley Davidson just decided to stop making buells and they are selling at the dealerships for half price right now while supplies last. Buells are great bikes and require very little maintenance. I own one and like it alot. Good luck with whatever you choose. Now is a good time to buy.

Ted

Well i went down town this weekend to have a look at some bikes in adelaide, stopped in to ducati adelaide and i fell in love with the ducati monster 696 they had there. 2008 model, just waiting on the guy to crunch the numbers and give me a call today, then hopefully if the price is right, head down there this Saturday for a ride and then a final verdict on it...

Hopefully this week goes really quick...

had a big chat with them, and the servicing on them isn't as bad as what i have been led to believe...and compared to my brothers bike it may be slightly cheaper. They have extended the servicing out on them, but have put in different components that last longer and make it not as bad.

Cheers

Dont be afraid to talk them down to a price that you think is fair. They mark those things up like you couldnt belive. Also alot of used bikes out there on craigslist, people are just trying to sell them for what they owe becuase of the poor economy and all. I got my bike for a couple grand less than msrp just by going in there a half a dozen times and talking to them.

Yea...it is already at a good price, especially compared to those i've seen advertised privately...but i did get a bit more knocked off, just put the deposit down on it and going to have a final look at it on Saturday now and hopefully bring it home then.

Wish i could get down there earlier so i could have it now :grin:

Thanks everyone for your help, i'll let you know and post some pics once i bring the duke home...just need to name it and introduce it to Skippy then...hehe

Cheers

Yes, the Japanese know how to build bikes like they do cars. Some make both cars and bikes, which isn't seen much if at all anymore in the u.s. market. Porcupine has come to like Honda. So far the only problem he has encountered with the VFR is the cooling fan coolant switch went faulty.

Heh, my sis' boyfriend has an 06 "Viffer", silver with hard bags like that. It's a stunning machine like that, but I like the anniversary red/white/blue livery a whole lot better. Speaking of sis, she got interested in motorcycles thanks to him and now wants an SV650! :lol: Wouldn't mind one myself, but don't have the $$. Besides, Subaru first! Good luck with the Duke, blondy!

Edited by ScoobySchmitty

YAY...finally have my bike and rode it all the way back from the city and luved it.

Good grunt too...had to remember to hold on...

Here's some pics.

MyDucati003.jpg

MyDucati004.jpg

MyDucati005.jpg

MyDucati006.jpg

MyDucati007.jpg

Thankyou everyone for your help...even though i went in a totally different direction...hehe