Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no cupholders... what the heck!?!

xbeerd

ok, one thing i overlooked when buying my 92 loyale a few weeks ago was the lack of cupholders. so.. off to the junk yard i go and found some on the ground in about 5 mins. yay.

i had to modify the stock radio bracket because that small coin tray pocket thing was too small. nothing a block of wood and a hammer couldnt solve. hammered it flat and then measured and drilled holes for the cup holder slider thing. also hammering flat made the lower dog ears (?) too low, so a tin snips helped me trim them to fit right, i didnt drill them for screws because i was lazy, wanted to see if it was really necessary, and i didnt feel it was.

06e7f968-4d20-4fe1-a48f-2c9a0881d153_568x426r0.jpg

3e80ee39-259b-4e50-939e-f178d1a923e6_568x426r0.jpg

i did have to notch out the bezel to make it fit, i didnt really want to do that but eh.. i need a place to put my drink.

here is a really crappy picture of the finished product, it doesnt slide ALL the way in, but its good enough for me! :)

605c5f4e-4596-4fb6-8f28-3917a2e40e12_568x426r0.jpg

900b340e-b872-4e73-81ff-95cfe14b64d4_568x426r0.jpg

i'd like to put the stereo deck from our 2000 outback in there, but its too deep and sticks out past the cupholder. i could turn the hole thing upside down probably but i dont really like how far it sticks out.

Edited by xbeerd

Hey--nice cupholders!

I always end up jamming my cup between the parking brake and the edge of the passenger seat! Holds pretty well. (Wonder how many others do that?)

I had a CD player in my Loyale for a while--it stuck out like you're describing, but then it was stolen, so the stock radio is back in. Since the Loyale became my daily driver again recently, I've been looking for a CD player shallow enough not to stick out, but with no luck. Anybody have an ingenious solution for this?

You can look at the crutchfield.com online catalog and search for "e" size stereo's they should fit accordin to the crutchfield stereo selector, and then go and buy it on the internet somewhere cheaper. just remember that a cd is 5" diameter, so i didnt measure the depth of the hole with the connector wires stickin out the back but a cd player *might* be a tight fit?

for like $100 they got this BOSS (never heard of it, i dont anticipate it to be THAT good) deck that has a built in iPod dock that pops out of the stereo, kinda cool but not sure on the brand. seems like an offbrand, like RockWood (who is actually made by clarion if i am not mistaken)

I always end up jamming my cup between the parking brake and the edge of the passenger seat! Holds pretty well. (Wonder how many others do that?)

yep, I do that too. My dad used to have a cupholder on the other side of the ebrake lever, but when I got the car, I swapped it to D/R, and now there isn't room anymore.

I've often thought about putting the cupholder from an early legacy (slide-out unit much like you've got there) in the slot under my CD player, but I never got around to it.

My '87 Toyota 4Runner doesn't have a cupholder anywhere either. as of next weekend, I'll officially own 4 cars, with zero cupholders between them :rolleyes:.

You can look at the crutchfield.com online catalog and search for "e" size stereo's they should fit accordin to the crutchfield stereo selector, and then go and buy it on the internet somewhere cheaper. just remember that a cd is 5" diameter, so i didnt measure the depth of the hole with the connector wires stickin out the back but a cd player *might* be a tight fit?

for like $100 they got this BOSS (never heard of it, i dont anticipate it to be THAT good) deck that has a built in iPod dock that pops out of the stereo, kinda cool but not sure on the brand. seems like an offbrand, like RockWood (who is actually made by clarion if i am not mistaken)

Hmm. Sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip--I'll check it out!

[quote name=xbeerd;859324}

for like $100 they got this BOSS (never heard of it' date=' i don't anticipate it to be THAT good) deck that has a built in iPod dock that pops out of the stereo, kinda cool but not sure on the brand. seems like an off brand, like RockWood (who is actually made by clarion if i am not mistaken)[/quote]

they are their own brand. they are cheap but not durabrand cheap. Just DON'T EVER EVER buy their speakers. Those are definitely junk

I took a bottle holder from a bicycle, and screwed it into the door panel, just past of the opener trim.... :lol:

thats easy and cheap.. but i was trying to get more of a stock look, however, that might look stock if your brat is badass as it is.

I took a bottle holder from a bicycle, and screwed it into the door panel, just past of the opener trim.... :lol:

I woulda never thought of that...

I bought those cheapie slide-in style that basically hooks on the inside window

trim.

They work for small stuff, but for anything big I wedge between the seat and E-brake (as long as there are no wires in the way of it :o)

Or, if in my BRAT, I bought a big fat cupholder that I set between the 4WD

lever and the passenger seat and directly in front of the E-brake handle.

Sits nice and tight too. :)

Twitch

My dad bought a bunch of plastic ones at menards for like a dollar each, and screwed them to his legacy in about 8 places. door panels, dash.....the man likes his cupholders :grin:

My dad bought a bunch of plastic ones at menards for like a dollar each, and screwed them to his legacy in about 8 places. door panels, dash.....the man likes his cupholders :grin:

does he have some on the outside of the car for tailgating at the football games?

"Fitting it into the Dash

As mentioned above, many new EA82 owners dive into a stereo replacement thinking it will be a piece of cake, only to find that their new stereo sticks out of the dash a couple inches! Now, our more “primitive” brethren may find this to be no big deal, but for me, I want it to look like it belongs there. What we need is something that will attach in place of the stock stereo bezel, but be about 2” thicker: a dash kit. A dash kit or installation kit is a plastic bezel that allows for the installation of an aftermarket stereo in a dashboard not designed for one. Two manufacturers make dash kits for the EA82, Pyramid and Metra. I personally like the Metra kit best. Other kit-makers have re-branded the Metra kit, but don’t worry, it’s the same thing. The Metra part number is 99-8900.

You can get these kits at any stereo shop for somewhere in the neighborhood of $15. While you’re there, also get an adaptor harness for your vehicle. Metra’s part number is 70-8900 for the EA82. Make sure you get an EA82 one – many shops confuse the Loyale and the Legacy. Your harness should have one large white plug with most of the wires on it and one small plug with just a yellow wire.

Your kit will come with a whole bunch of extra parts, mostly for the EA81 crowd. What you need to fish out of the bag is the large rectangular piece with four screw holes. Notice that the center opening, the one your stereo is supposed to fit in, is blocked by some large mounting tabs for a shaft-style radio. You’ll need to cut these off. A utility knife works well, as does an old hacksaw blade. Lop off the tabs so that you have a nice 2”x7” rectangular opening in the middle. Fish out the four mounting screws from the bag, and if your kit has a 1”x7” hole underneath the stereo hole, find the block-off panel for it and snap it in place." [kudos to samo] http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50840&highlight=metra+8900

Just did this. Looks pretty good:banana:. Bought kit on ebay for 15$ shipped. Looks almost stock.. maybe if i cared to paint the kit to match the dash... I got some pics but no camera cable... so maybe I'll post them when (if:confused:) i find it.

Next I plan on fitting some form of cupholder into the 1x7 slot intended for an equalizer. don't really have room as i have 5sp.. we'll see.

thats odd. they still show up for me!?!

definitely odd! I even highlighted the whole post and I can't even see where a pic was supposed to be (sometimes they show a 'ghost' box, but this one doesn't) I wonder if it has to do with my PC K-9 watchdog program I added to keep the computer from going to unappropriate sites) - maybe it's a pic site that is on a site that has not been ''approved'', LOL.

• 5 months later...

Wow...I would have never thought of that, though something similar has crossed my mind. At the moment my '88 GL10 has no cupholders either, I looked around the wagon and I was like wth!.

I like some of the ideas in here, and I have used the space between the parking break and the passenger seat as a cupholder it works pretty good :lol:

for many years i used a two cup adjustable holder with a small storage compartment between them stuck on the flat part of the dash in my GL wagon - would hold some rather large cups (just not super tall ones) with no problems - only a short reach for the driver...

some rather creative ideas out there tho. :grin:

in my 91 loyale wagon i just put the cups in the center console...but since i got my xt6 i haven't found a good place for it yet. any suggestions?

in my xt6 i put them inbetween the e-brake and passenger seat. holds a dunkin donuts coffee no problem.. pretty sturdy too... in mine, as soon as i can remove the original radio/eq i plan on putting a set of legacy slide out cup holders in there thou. i grabbed a set out of a parts car b4 it went to the crusher. im hoping to do it soon since the weather is finally starting to warm up around here.