Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I shouldn't be surprised but I was. I've started feeling some more "clunkiness" from the front end of my car the past few weeks. Did some investigating and found that the inner tie rod end on the drivers side is also completely shot. (just replaced the pass side and the bellows) After cleaning the entire rack in search of a leak in that area I see that the bellows on the drivers side looks to have been replaced not long ago. I snipped the zip tie and pulled the boot back to find the inner rod end covered in dust and small pebbles. :mad: Someone replaced the boot because it was ripped. All the rocks and dust that got inside the ripped boot stuck all over the shaft and the inner end, now the ball joint is bad and the rack is leaking from the seal on that side.

So anyone know if is possible to replace this seal? I'm kinda thinking I'll be looking for a steering rack in decent shape on my next trip to the JY. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with all the rod ends in good shape.

Rut roh. Sounds like you need to replace the rack. teh rack needs a rebuild and that requires a machine shop with specialized tools to do it properly. Not only is that seal shot (and very hard to get at) but odds are is that the end bushing is all scored too.

nipper

Just replace the rack, they're easy to replace and Subaru racks fail so rarely that doing anything but buying a used one isn't really worth it.

I have a 1997 Legacy GT steering rack I can check the tie rod conditions, I think they were new. $75. I may be headed to Maryland area in the next week too so delivery possibly?

That's kinda what I figured. I've dealt with leaking hose connections before (which reminds me I need to get a new pressure hose because it is leaking) and leaking steering shaft seals, but never had one leak from the end like this. It's not a big leak, but it's enough to start dripping out of the boot after a few days.

Whereabouts in MD? I'm about 2 hours southwest of the DC area. Is the GT rack any different than any other?

Nowhere close, I can ship it, simpler. I have a complete parts car so I'd have the hose you need as well. Just let me know for sure which one it is that you need.

No, GT rack isn't anything special. Subaru steering racks haven't changed for the most part in decades, the GT rack will be identical to yours.