Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Legacy 3.6R 5spdAuto Hesitation from slow speed. The dealer had it for 2 days; contacted Engineers. It wasn't 'til after they test drove it that they realized 3.6R does NOT have CVT. They uploaded the latest firmware. They tested other 3.6R Legacys on the lot. Then they said it's normal. ie., (brake to under 10 mph to make a left turn, see an opening in oncoming traffic, step on the gas and turn the wheel and NOTHING happens for 3-5 seconds then it lunges forward. my heart is in my throat). THIS IS NORMAL? I think it's a safety hazard. Same thing happens at stop signs if I don't come to a complete stop (ya, I drive it like the guy in the taxi commercial...). There are only 800 miles on it but I'm ready to trade it in. I'm waiting for a response from Corp. Anybody else notice it?

1st YOU test another 2010 and see if it is normal. It may feel like 2-3 seconds but i have a feeling it is not.

Some new GMs' do this to save wear on the transmission, they have a slight delay before they start moving.

Have you tried sport or manual mode to see if it does the same thing.

And you need to find a better service department.

nipper

It sounds like a firmware issue with the throttle control to me. I've had similar experiences driving newer cars that have "throttle by wire" and it's not fun at all. Usually it's because of programming that keeps the throttle from opening too quickly. Or to keep the throttle plate drive motor from switching direction suddenly if you make repeated rapid changes in pedal position.

Try downshifting the transmission manually as you slow down and see if it still acts the same.

Our '06 Outback (2.5L) has the same hesitation (actually it's about one second, but it's still disconcerting when you want to go NOW to avoid an on-coming logging truck).

And yes, the dealer (repeatedly) says it's 'normal'. I hadn't though of the Sport Shift tho', I'll try that and see if it's any different. I think it won't be.

The 08 Imp 2.5i sedan AT I had as a loaner while my 08 Imp2.5i 5DR 5 spd was in getting some paint and body work fixed ( dealer caused) ..did the same thing... I was extremely happy when I got mine back..and reinforced my liking for MT cars.

But I have read that the CVT is even suckier..but no one on the board has one yet to say if this is true or not

The 08 Imp 2.5i sedan AT I had as a loaner while my 08 Imp2.5i 5DR 5 spd was in getting some paint and body work fixed ( dealer caused) ..did the same thing... I was extremely happy when I got mine back..and reinforced my liking for MT cars.

But I have read that the CVT is even suckier..but no one on the board has one yet to say if this is true or not

On the outback boars alot of people are surprised by how good the CVT is and how it gets better mileage then the EPA ratings.

I test drove the CVT and liked it alot. There was one person who drove the 6sp and didnt like the gate (most likely had to get used to it).

nipper

On the outback boars alot of people are surprised by how good the CVT is and how it gets better mileage then the EPA ratings.

I test drove the CVT and liked it alot. There was one person who drove the 6sp and didnt like the gate (most likely had to get used to it).

nipper

Thats good to hear actually... cause the first reports I heard were shortly after it was released ( within a couple weeks) I am hoping it doesnt turn out like the disaster that the CVT did in the Justy...not that I drive ATs.

I know my Impreza gets alot better gas mileage then its rated for also..rated at 27 I get 32+ regularly

Thats good to hear actually... cause the first reports I heard were shortly after it was released ( within a couple weeks) I am hoping it doesnt turn out like the disaster that the CVT did in the Justy...not that I drive ATs.

I know my Impreza gets alot better gas mileage then its rated for also..rated at 27 I get 32+ regularly

The only issue has been the car being a bit of a dog off the line till about 10-15 mph then it takes off. Blu is the same way so i dont see that as a big deal.

nipper

Thanks for the replys. The Service guy tested a few others and said all of the 3.6R Legacys did the same. He came right out and said he didn't like it either but there was no fix yet. I've tried downshifting and it still does it. I've tried starting out Locked in Low, letting off the gas then hitting it again and yes it still does it. btw, the 3.6R is deff no dog off the line; from a dead stop its a tiger! and I can almost hear it scream when i tromp it out on the highway. but the California Stops are really gettin' to me... prob not 3-5 secs but at least 2. The CVT is not available on the 3.6R. I emailed Subaru Corp yesterday and a rep replied today for Dealer info so they can work together on it. Maybe my expectations are too high, as i've been strictly GM for over 40 years. I still like the Legacy better than my 06 STS4.

Thanks again. I hope I answered everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same problem on my 2010 3.6R. It is NOT normal and is totally unacceptable from a safety standpoint. I guess I'll be contacting Subaru too.

Here is a tip....if you have the dashboard light dimmer switch clicked to its brightest level the GPS screen will NOT switch to nighttime mode when the headlights are turned on. The Subaru dealer was going to install a new GPS unit on a car with less than 500 miles.....they said it was an open circuit.:rolleyes: I knew it was BS but it wasn't until the service manager spoke to the Subaru liason to Kenwood that we learned what the problem was. Back the light dimmer off 1 click from full brightness and everything works as intended. But what about the "open circuit"??? Crickets.

I also have an intermittent brake pedal noise (linkage related?) that occurs during low vacuum. Of course everything is normal there too.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys. The Service guy tested a few others and said all of the 3.6R Legacys did the same. He came right out and said he didn't like it either but there was no fix yet. I've tried downshifting and it still does it. I've tried starting out Locked in Low, letting off the gas then hitting it again and yes it still does it. btw, the 3.6R is deff no dog off the line; from a dead stop its a tiger! and I can almost hear it scream when i tromp it out on the highway. but the California Stops are really gettin' to me... prob not 3-5 secs but at least 2. The CVT is not available on the 3.6R. I emailed Subaru Corp yesterday and a rep replied today for Dealer info so they can work together on it. Maybe my expectations are too high, as i've been strictly GM for over 40 years. I still like the Legacy better than my 06 STS4.

Thanks again. I hope I answered everyone.

The fix will likely be a updated transmission for the 2011 model, and yours will get a replacement new tranny to fix it, not until 2010 with a 11 model year. Unless they come up with a computer firmware update.