Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Dipstick Being Pushed Out...

Awesome how this thread got up to 12 posts before someone spotted 4EAT is electronic! lol

Always good to check out the FSMs to see what should be there, rather than what is there :) Looks like there should just be a short length of hose to allow venting without sucking in crud. IMO should cap any vacuum lines and run a short vent hose similar to the factory setup.

[ATTACH]6946[/ATTACH]

I knew that the transmission was electronic, but I know nothing about transmissions so I didn't know it wouldn't have vacuum lines :) I have already run the short hoses for the vents, and I have also capped off the nipple it was connected to. Where would I find the FSM for this car? I have never heard of an FSM before. Do you happen to have a more detailed picture of the transmission? Thanks!

that "W" looking thing mensioned earlier is that hard plastic hose that runs just behind the intake where it goes into the throttle body, infact its clipped to the intake and its in your pics.

when you take it out its kinda W shaped but its like one leg is really long.

my car is the same as yours and all those vent hoses that were hooked up to that plastic hard line were clogged, i suggest taking some super clean and a screw driver and cleaning them out, pretty easy really. but you should just do em all and only do a few at a time so you can put it back together easily and make sure they are pretty dry before sticking em back on

my dipstick wasnt being pushed out but the car ran better over all. i did have one time where it did goop all over the ground but i was starting the engine and immedatly turning it off over and over testing a new starter i had put in and i think it farted it out.

Good tip. I will try that this weekend.

So far the dipstick has behaved it's self. I took it to Seattle today and back, and did have a problem! I haven't noticed any problems with anything after disconnecting the hose, so I think that it's all good. After I get a chance to double check/clean everything I will post back and mark this solved if it checks out.

Thanks again everyone for saving me a trip to the mechanic!

Update: So I was looking for a better spot to tap into for my boost gauge, and I decided to try the "mystery" nipple that the tranny vent hoses were connected to. I figured what would it hurt, and that way I could see what it did. After I attached it, I went for a drive, and sure enough it's a direct reading off the intake manifold so when I was at full boost, it was pushing 7lbs of boost into the tranny :eek: !!!! No wonder the dipstick was being pushed out!

So now that is where I am going to keep my boost gauge connected to. So far it's given me the most stable reading on boost/vacuum out of all the spots I tried.

After all the driving I am going to do this weekend, I will update again...

There are a few different versions of the FSM for 80's Subarus about. I think this one http://pdftown.com/Subaru-EA-82-Service-Manual.html will be what you are looking for.

That link didn't work... but I think that I found one that does. I grabbed them off of this link:

http://www.finleyweb.net/JonsStuff/SubaruDocumentation/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Is this the same thing? This doesn't include the transmission :( Anyone know where I can get the service manual for that? Thanks!

Edited by eulogious

Update: So I was looking for a better spot to tap into for my boost gauge, and I decided to try the "mystery" nipple that the tranny vent hoses were connected to. I figured what would it hurt, and that way I could see what it did. After I attached it, I went for a drive, and sure enough it's a direct reading off the intake manifold so when I was at full boost, it was pushing 7lbs of boost into the tranny :eek: !!!! No wonder the dipstick was being pushed out!

So now that is where I am going to keep my boost gauge connected to. So far it's given me the most stable reading on boost/vacuum out of all the spots I tried.

After all the driving I am going to do this weekend, I will update again...

can you post a pic of where you attached this guage?

Ok, I have driven about 600 miles so far, and I have not had any problems with the dipstick popping out so I would say that I have solved this issue :banana:

Quick recap. My tranny dipstick was popping out while I was under boost. The tranny vent hoses were connected to the intake manifold, and therefore when I produced boost, it was blowing into the tranny, causing the dipstick to be pushed out. Disconnecting the vent hoses from the manifold solved the problem! Thanks everyone for your help in solving this!