Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you all get for MPG?I get 25 in my 93 legacy FWD.My daily commute consists of 4K RPM shift points,trail braking/left foot braking, and a really big hill(1250 ft elevation change or more).In short driving like a maniac,but it still is much higher than EPA estimates...

So what do you all get?

My 04 monster turbo baja gets 16 in town and 24 hwy. City milage would probably improve if I installed some better injectors instead of the Perrin modified ones I'm running now(stock injectors with the ends shaved down for more flow). My 01 2.5 rs averaged 24, 86 4x hatch got 26 which is the same as I'm getting with my 84 brat now. It's been along time but I seem to remember about 40 mpg with my 70 ff1 wagon with the 1100cc motor.

As of about two years ago it was an average of 25. I havent accurately attempted to get a mpg lately.

I've got to ask, what is trail breaking? Not to sound argumentative but I've never seen someone break with their left foot who wasnt destroying their breaks and wasting gas by using both feet and giving the passengers a very uncomfortable ride. But since you do practice this.. what is the advantage and why do you do this? Just seems very pointless to me perhaps I'm missing something to it?

Typically you are left-foot brakeing to transfer the weight of the car to the front wheels (or off the rear wheels) for improved handling or controlled sliding. It's a racing technique.

GD

I'm willing to bet, that in THIS situation, it is being done poorly, wasting fuel, brakes, and generally time. :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet, that in THIS situation, it is being done poorly, wasting fuel, brakes, and generally time. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt need to do it if the car didnt understeer.That and its only on some really sharp corners...

funnest one is a 90* left off a 45-55 mph road into a side street then right over some railroad tracks with a steep approach and landing ramp...I do have a skidplate so no worries about punching the oil pan..

• 1 month later...

Hi I am new to the forum looking to buy an older AWD for a 70 plus mile a day daily driver. I am wondering which combo 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, manual or auto will produce the best mileage and still have fun factor when I want it. Fun factor is important I have been racing Turo Buick for almost 20 years (mid 9 second) so I don't want to go slow for 1 MPG.

One of the cars I am looking at specifically is a 96 Brighton coupe 1.8 AWD 5 spd. My thinking was that the lighter car, smaller engine MIGHT get better mileage.

After doing some searching it seems to me that the auto's actually get better mileage than manual which makes no sense to me at all. I have no problem with an auto wouldn’t make much difference on my drive to work on country roads with 2 stop signs.

I also understand that efficiency (having enough power) is just as critical to mileage as anything else. For example my step daughters v6 grand am gets better mileage than my sister inlaws grand am with the 4 cyl.

I am not meaning to hijack this thread I apologize if I have, hopefully maybe add some thoughts.

What are you guys seeing is there a particular combo that I would be better off with?

Thanks in advance Dave

Edited by re-evaluating