Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carb for a Brat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this thread with great interest the past few days. I have an 81 brat that the previous owner installed a weber on. The way he did the pcv hoses has been driving me nuts and this thread has been great for showing me how to fix them.

The question i have is with the ecu emissions stuff. Can the solenoids and thermoswitch on the intake be junked? How about the vacuum switches and canister? Gd mentioned something above about the canister but i wanted to clarify before i start ripping stuff of the car. Thanks

• 11 months later...

The idea to pull throttle linkage from my hitachi and move it to the Weber was really slick. I busted the Weber bolt and was looking at how to rig what I had left when I remembered that GD had put up a picture of his setup.

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/weber_linkage.jpg

It worked like a charm and seemed more true to the essence of my rig.

Thanks GD. Again...

KNOPPER's questions are in my mind as well. I am just finishing up my first Weber install. I have been looking across the board at intake manifold shots and reading. Still a shot of a clean weber install, full intake, eludes me. If any of you guys are particularly proud of your intake please post a shot. I am into that kind of thing.

Greg

• 3 months later...

hey gang,so what about the fuel pressure.:banana:the banana guy is worried...but seriously ,i haven't snooped abound too much about it.its been along time since i installed one and have just plane forgot.....it happens.should i get a fuel regulater? thanks ,todd

That mileage is pretty low unless the car is lifted? Should be somewhere around 27-30 on a stock height Brat with EA81.

But glad you like it!

GD

Try running it for a while with the ignition timing set at 10* instead of 8*.

2 of the engines I've Webered liked that. And I consistantly got 27-29 MPG per tank.

Just be mindfull of spark knock if you try it. If you get any, back timing off a tad.

Alamgordo is higher elevation so the performance of a carb is greatly effected. Seems like 20 mpg is still low, but advancing the timing should help. Those cold morning higher elevation warm-ups also eat into the MPGs.

"Alamogordo elevation is 4,350 with a range of between 4,300 feet to 9,000 feet above sea level."

http://www.usacitiesonline.com/nmcountyalamogordo.htm#statistics

hey gang,so what about the fuel pressure.:banana:the banana guy is worried...but seriously ,i haven't snooped abound too much about it.its been along time since i installed one and have just plane forgot.....it happens.should i get a fuel regulater? thanks ,todd

The stock fuel pump puts out ok pressure for the Weber. If anything it's a little low so a pressure regulator won't help a bit. Generally I run them without a return line to get as much pressure from the wimpy pumps as possible.

GD

Hmmm ,so if anything a new pump is in order. so other than loosing it going around a sharp corner it should be ok ? boy it sure feels better than the old Hatichie...this is my 3rd Rat Brat i'm workin on... we met up at Evans Creek around midnight years ago and you had a hatch,,right? C Ya ,todd:banana:

Edited by todds
mistake

• 1 month later...
Here's a better picture of the way the linkage should be setup. That picture archive in those old links are terrible and that linkage setup looks pretty poorly done. Notice that I used the stock throttle cable mount - just moved it to the carb base and bent it with a crescent wrench to suit the needs of the Weber.

Note that this is a DGV-5A weber (manual choke). But the linkage you are asking about is the same as the DGEV/DGAV. Frankly I prefer the manual choke.

weber_linkage.jpg

GD

Good call on this setup. Too bad I already snipped the lead ferrel off the end before I saw this. The Redline set up is poorly designed. I dont trust it at all. All the load rests on a micro cotter pin and the clamping design damages the cable.