Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easiest way to replace clutch

Last time i did this job, i pulled the engine. It was easier that way, but now that my Sube is lifted, would it be easier to drop the tranny instead?

The throwout bearing in the 84 Wagon is gone. Makes a god awful noise while the clutch is in. Doesnt have much longer, and i need to replace it soon... and still have time to drive to work the next day. I dont have access to a hoist or a tranny jack, so im trying to juggle my options.

-Brian

use a jack to support the tranny and do a tranny drop.....

the DOJ pins; the bolts and stud'd nuts that atach to the engine; the rear shaft's carrier barring support's 2 bolts; the tranny support bar's bolts; the two 8mm nuts on the clutch cable and the HH unit; the speedo cable at the speedo(easier to pop it off then unscrew it from the tranny......

JUST WATCHOUT for the gearlube dripping out the tail of it tipps to far aft!

did I forget anything?

You an a friend can lift the engine out, and put it back in.... problem with the tranny is that it takes three people if you don't have a transmission jack to put it back in. It *can* be done with two people - using a rope around the tailshaft of the tranny, and closing that in the drivers door, but you still need someone to lift the front of the thing while you crawl under it, and manhandle it into place. I would pull the engine.

Actually - if your good, you don't even have to pull the engine - on an EA81, you can simple pull it forward - with the radiator removed, there's enough room to pull the engine forward, and off the tranny. It's tight, but if your only replacing the release bearing..... should be able to do that without pulling anything. Just a thought if the clutch is still good.

GD