Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Group buy for Gen I BRAT tail light gaskets?

Rather than the usual deal of finding a manufacturer this should be a project one of us could tackle ..... yes? Simple part. Find decent thickness material , make template , someone whip up a batch in their garage or basement,etc.. I'm thinking Earl might be inclined to work some magic.

Yes??

Or would you rather find a shop to produce them?

Earl's post:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=862289#post862289

Edited by moosens

• 1 month later...

I'm opening this up again....

Recently took possesion of a new complete tail light assy. with a fresh gasket. I have the pice to copy / make a template from .....

Stock looks to be neoprene. That'd work for me. Could make use of center cutouts with a few other neoprene vintage patch pieces I see in hidden corners , under carpets , etc. , if one of us does it.

Also,right now there's another new t/l assy. on eBay from a seller in Israel. Not a bad price and shipping isn't too bad either. Comes with the same gasket,looks fresh too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would definitely be interested! I'm looking into the idea of making a mold for the front running light gaskets as well. For the rear, side running light gaskets, I got some neoprene-like material from a local craft store, but the fronts will need some molded rubber to make them sit properly, I think.

Anyone...?

-Ben

A couple of other thoughts -- would it be possible for anyone with a good set could photocopy them and transfer that photocopy into a life-sized pdf...? That way, we could post the file and it could just be downloaded and printed.

Also, I've had a bit of experience with die-cutting. That may be an option as well if the right material is available, a template is available, and enough people are interested. Might as well go whole-hog in that case and make dies for the side lights, running lights, etc.

The molded gaskets like on the mirrors, etc. could be molded pretty easily with some rtv mold-making. Again, a good model would be needed. I have the mirrors and part of the light moldings.

-Ben

• 3 weeks later...

You know I looked into it and it was so expensive to set these up and I know that if I did I'd only get 2 or 3 people who would buy them then I'd be out a bunch of money so I scrapped the idea. I hope that some else finds a more cost effective way to reproduce them. I'll buy a few of them if they are produced.

Ben, I have an almost new one on driver side taillight if you would like me to scan that for you...I'll also double check the measurements and see if it adds up.

I just found one in my garage as well that I forgot I had. I haven't had time to really look it over, but hope to do so in the next couple of days. (Work always gets the way of the truly important things in life...)

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...