Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOA didn't fix my clutch-shudder problem!

Guest rtp373

Ferret - how does the clutch feel to you now? How long did it take to replace the parts?

Maybe I should start a new thread with the direct question.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Breaddrink

Exactly what is meant by clutch juddering?

If I understand correctly it's the surge forwards and back that you get when the clutch is bouncing around? Correct?

Guest rtp373

we've called it judder, shudder, studder, all the same.

Normally, when you let the clutch out, let's say at a stop sign, there's a soft, smooth acceleration forward.

When the shudder (or choose one above) occurs, the car will shake because the clutch is grabbing hard/slipping cyclically until it's all the way out. NOT smooth and some people have stalled or lunged forward unintentionally when it's really bad.

So far it's been the worst on cold, damp or humid days, but some people have complained under desert conditions.

Just scroll back thru the messages on this thread and you shall possess the knowledge.

RTP373

Guest ibis315

UPDATE

After a month of driving after getting the clutch serviced under the TSB, no problems :D

The judder always appeared in the morning when the weather was cold, but now it is no longer.

Guest Skip

my 00 2.5 RS at 30kmi just started this "judder"

I went to the TSB site and it would not let me see the Impreza TSB

I would appreciate it if somebody could post it.

Guest Skip

Thats for the link Ferret, I tried and no go pink box be down or something, copy pasted the link still no go.

Am I the only one having this problem.

Maybe somebody could email me the .jpg of it?

Is that the America TSB or the OZ version?

I am in the good ol U.S. of A.

Guest Stubaru

Just had the replacement done to my '02 Legacy GT with 11,000 miles. It drove nicely from new up to about 3,000 miles, then the problem started, making the car horrible to drive. It's not the most forgiving or easiest clutch/tranny even when it's working fine, but the problem made the car unpleasant. I read about it and saw the Service Bulletin on this board, so I called my dealer and discussed it, asking them to have the listed parts in stock for my appointment. Of course, they chose not to do this, so I was stuck with their 8-year-old 120,000 mile loaner for a couple of days. The service manager gave me crap when I dropped it off, declaring they would only do the replacement if they could confirm the problem, stating that some people might try to get a free clutch. I explained that I had no motive, as my car is leased, and assumed the attitude that they would not confirm the problem. When they called to say they had confirmed it, I sort of felt like I had won a prize.

The car seems to be much better now, and I'll see if it holds up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bannergraphics

Subaru continues to scam us. Don't buy Subarus.

They replaced my clutch once. When the problem came back about 3K miles later I reported it to the dealer. They said Subaru had stopped fixing it but that I should continue to report the problem. I have reported it the problem faithfuly about every 10K miles driven. After the fix was posted here I called my dealer. They said they'd also received word about the fix from Subaru the previous week. However, both Subaru and my dealer said the car was now out of warranty and it wasn't their problem any more.

What a scam. This is awful public relations, terrible customer service and pathetic engineering. Anyone who wants all wheel drive should buy something else.

Guest meep424

BG,

do you have dealer receipts showing your previous complaints from inside the warranty period? If you do, then the dealer should honor the complaint. Not sure if it's a law or not, but typically that's the game.

meep

• 13 years later...